{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aryan's 73 Mustang

+20
CustomCabby
Butch Thompson
Shelly's SS
Cratethis
TurboPinto
RsvBill
LRS30
Rage
falconwagon62
JRiggs
magicman_1968
big dogs 42
Lady rebel
jbs10
chev_hotrod
ss 383
hp77skylark
Hellvis
Kyle
RebStew
24 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 Empty Re: Aryan's 73 Mustang

Post by RebStew August 4th 2010, 5:36 am

The fuel pump hasn't came in yet. We did get the new coil on and mess with the timing a bit. Timing is a little strange. I'll have to dig into it more tomorrow. I was wanting to put my t Handle with the button on it for the line lock but I've misplaced it. If I can't find it tomorrow I'l figure out something else for the line lock. I was wanting to get more done but the heat wiped me out.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelly's SS August 4th 2010, 6:10 am

STEVE...IM JUST GLAD YOUR ALRIGHT!!!!
Shelly's SS
Shelly's SS
Scrounger

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 4th 2010, 8:01 am

Shelly's SS wrote:STEVE...IM JUST GLAD YOUR ALRIGHT!!!!
Laughing It will take more than that Ford to get me down. drunken Thanks for the first aid though. lol
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis August 4th 2010, 2:39 pm

Man, it wiped me out too! I didn't realize how it had gotten to me till we left. About 2 min down the road and my head was pounding! There was just no air moving last night.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 5th 2010, 12:24 pm

I waited till midnight before going out to the garage. It was still hot so I tinkered around more than working. Haven't been feeling too good for the last few days. Not sure if it's the heat or what. I put Aryan's regulator on and re~run the fuel line in the engine bay. Added a cool can and insulated the fuel line under the hood. I've had this cool can for years. It is suppose to be off of one of Arnie Beswick's race cars. Not sure but I always liked the Farmer and when I seen it I bought it because of that. Not sure it will make a difference but I figured with this bad heat we been having it couldn't hurt to try. Started working on a breather for the car too.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 6th 2010, 11:52 am

Tonight me and Riggs drained the racing fuel from the cell and swapped the little pump for a 140 GPH pump. I added another filter before the pump and worked on the breather for a little bit.
I was hoping to get the GM alternator on the Mustang tonight. I think the car would run better with a charging system. The pullies I bought from the junk yard are wrong. I didn't know it but the older 302 have 3 bolt holes and the newer stuff has 4. Waist of time and money. Evil or Very Mad I need the crankshaft pulley with 3 bolt holes.
I never did find my t handle with the button. I went over Cincy Speed and picked one up. I didn't notice untill I got home but the threads where metric. A little work to the knob threads, a brass fitting and some epoxy fixed her right up. I figured I'd let the epoxy dry really good so I will wait till late tonight to put it on the shifter and hook up the line lock.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 August 6th 2010, 1:05 pm

RebStew wrote:Tonight me and Riggs drained the racing fuel from the cell and swapped the little pump for a 140 GPH pump. I added another filter before the pump and worked on the breather for a little bit.
I was hoping to get the GM alternator on the Mustang tonight. I think the car would run better with a charging system. The pullies I bought from the junk yard are wrong. I didn't know it but the older 302 have 3 bolt holes and the newer stuff has 4. Waist of time and money. Evil or Very Mad I need the crankshaft pulley with 3 bolt holes.
I never did find my t handle with the button. I went over Cincy Speed and picked one up. I didn't notice untill I got home but the threads where metric. A little work to the knob threads, a brass fitting and some epoxy fixed her right up. I figured I'd let the epoxy dry really good so I will wait till late tonight to put it on the shifter and hook up the line lock.

3 bolt lower are 289's...better look at block numbers....
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 6th 2010, 7:47 pm

falconwagon62 wrote:

3 bolt lower are 289's...better look at block numbers....
Where are the numbers located on a small Ford?
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboPinto August 6th 2010, 8:56 pm

The casting number is on the passengers side just above the oil pan rail. In other words, you have to remove the starter to see it.
TurboPinto
TurboPinto
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 6th 2010, 11:21 pm

TurboPinto wrote: The casting number is on the passengers side just above the oil pan rail. In other words, you have to remove the starter to see it.
I guess that's out untill the starter falls back off. lol
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson August 7th 2010, 12:09 am

a quote out of a weind book ford 3 bolt spacer 1969 and earlier small block ford engine have 3 bolt holes in harmonic ballencer instead of four on later models
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 7th 2010, 11:33 am

I got everything done I was wanting to get done this week. Got the T handle with the button mounted. Now I can use the line lock. Finished up the breather and a few other odd ball things.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs August 7th 2010, 10:00 pm

JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 8:31 am

Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 004-9
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 001-10
The Mustang didn't do as good as I wanted at the track. With the stuff I done it didn't help at all. Last weeks best was a 13.79 this weeks best was a 13.80.
No run felt the same and it just kept getting worse. I ordered a few more parts just now and we will see what that does.

Last edited by RebStew on August 9th 2010, 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 8:39 am

RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 8:40 am

RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 8:44 am

A few was asking what kind of breather I was making. It really was more of a forced air deal than a breather.
16 gauge sheet and cut out a circle bigger than the hole in the hood.
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 001-9
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 003-6
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 005-7
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 008-7
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 8:48 am

While in tow I keep the breather element on it so The engine doesn't swallow a bird.
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 010-7
You get a small look with the foam and the way I fixed it in the pic. The picture show us trying to get the fuel problem fixed I had. Trying to adjust the fuel preasure with the gauge on the other side of the car doesn't work to good.
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 038-3
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 8:58 am

All the time put in to getting the line lock working was nothing but a waist of time. Running up into Ohio to get a t handle and making it work when it didn't fit.
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 011-5
Doing a burnout with the line lock left the car spinning out of control. I almost took the cones out once and then another time I was too far over and the tech had to back me up from where I got sideways and could not see I was over too far.
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 028-4
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 029-2
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 9:04 am

Slicks where same preasure on both sides and I had the steering wheel lock all the way over trying to steer out of it. This thing would kick the tail end over faster than I've ever seen. Amy thought it was cool. She wanted me to do it again so she could shoot video. I tried to explain that's NOT what you want to do but I don't think she got it. lol It was nuts. After trying the line lock a few times I ditched it and just used my foot brake. The car stayed prefectly straight through all three gears as I burned out. Not sure why it will stay straight using the foot brake and not with the line lock unless maybe it's not locking enough fluid to hold both front tires and it's walking the loose one forward. So anyways looks like the line lock button will become a nitrous button.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 9:16 am

I was trying everything to get the car down a few tenths. It just wasn't happening. The car was having fuel problems at first. I set the reg when I put everything on and it was fine. First run the car wouldn't stay running. Came back and thought it was the rev limiter that was built into the tach so I clipped the wires. Done another run and it would not make it through the 1/4 before the shift light. I checked the fuel preasure and it was way low. I turned it up to 6 or 7 pounds and made another run. 1st 2nd 3rd shift light is on and I'm a long way from the 1/4 mile mark. I tried to shove the gas pedal through the floor. It will go or blow! I must have went through the traps at well over 7K.
I get back out and start looking over things. One of the guys pointed at the fuel preasure gauge. 1 1/2 pounds of preasure??? What's the friggin' deal! I adjust it again and set it at 8 and leave it. After that I made it through the traps with plenty before red lighting. So 3 runs I was running lean, REAL BAD! I'm not sure what was going on with it. The pump and reg is brand new. It never did it anymore and I check every time I came in off a pass, the preasure was right where I put it.

Last edited by RebStew on August 9th 2010, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 9:26 am

Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 077-2
The cars pulling harder at top of the RPM range than last week but I think the battery drain wasn't letting it run right. I ran the Yaris off it last week to charge it. This week I didn't. The car started slowly breaking down with a hi RPM shutter. I was shifting at 6600 and a few runs in it started to break up at 6300. I figured I move the shift point down to 6100 but then on that run it started shuttering at 5800 rpm's I think with the fans, water pump, 140 GPH fuel pump that it just doesn't have enough charging system to run the car right.
My 60' times went from 2.3 to 2.0 still bad but better than last weeks.
Aryan's 73 Mustang - Page 4 056-3
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 9th 2010, 9:33 am

The engine puked oil all over the side of the engine. I got worried I burned up ring or something running it lean like I did. I took a compression test on it and all 8 have 145 to 150 pounds of preasure. So I guess the bottom end is just fine. New goodies are on the way. Chevy HEI set up to fit a Ford. Stuff to put on an alternator on and a few small things. This is my last step in trying to get a noticable better run. If this doesn't work then it's a street car from here on out.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs August 9th 2010, 7:34 pm

a good alternative instead dragging that thing to the track all the time on those slicks....

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/1888194780.html
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboPinto August 9th 2010, 8:48 pm

Something I was thinking about today.Do you have any bigger carbs laying around? A 600 is kind of small, even for a 302. The 289 I had in the Granada was just a flat top motor with a .500 lift hyd cam and the 2 450s on the tunnel ran worked fine. I wouldn't be afraid to try something as big as a 750 if you have access to one.
TurboPinto
TurboPinto
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next