{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scroungers Gasser Project

+24
JRiggs
SouthGaKidd
LRS30
frmula505
oldman
Striping Stew 54
RustyKarr
extenzegrl
junkyardjeff
TAHOE
hotrodaaron77
big dogs 42
Lady rebel
Rebel girl
911TAZZ
Marty042
Kentucky Kid
Butch Thompson
Chris55
pepboys speedshop
EdgeGT
6-71Kid
Nanook
Reb Stew
28 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 Empty Re: Scroungers Gasser Project

Post by Kentucky Kid January 4th 2014, 3:43 pm

Reb Stew wrote:From what I hear we have a very, very special gift coming from far away for this project. More on this in a few days.

The anticipation is killing me!
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid
S.W. Ky Chapter President

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 January 4th 2014, 10:12 pm

Kentucky Kid wrote:
Reb Stew wrote:From what I hear we have a very, very special gift coming from far away for this project. More on this in a few days.

Me too!
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 4th 2014, 10:44 pm

Chris55 wrote:
Kentucky Kid wrote:

Me too!
 Laughing 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 4th 2014, 10:47 pm

We need to pick a day to get some people together to check the gasser out. It would be nice to get a few people here at the same time but that seems to be hard to do right now. What day is best for some of you? There are some small things that could be done like putting back wheels on and removing chrome but I don't want to do anything until some of you have seen the car in person.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 January 5th 2014, 12:08 am

I'll be there in spirit. Very Happy 
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 1:08 am

With this crazy weather looks like things are at a stand still. There are a few things we can talk about, like where we are going to build this thing.

From the start my plan was a lean to hooked to the front of the garage. Build the car outside under the lean to and use the garage for tools. The garage was full of stuff so this was why we were going to toss up a lean to. After many hours shoving stuff in corners and stacking them up in other out building you can now at least see the back wall. It still needs some help but most of it is out and most of our tools are in. After getting all the stuff out I don't think there is a need for a lean to. We will work on the gasser in here. It's going to be tight but when the weather warms up we can pull it outside. Pole barn has a dirt floor. As I said before I built a ton of cars in this little place. A few more won't hurt. What I'm going to try to do within a few months is pour some concrete. I can only do it as money allows so it will be done little by little.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 1:11 am

Reb Stew wrote:For the last two or three years I have been storing stuff in it. Car parts and then the whole inside of the house and garage from Newport. Since we moved here I have been slowly getting stuff out of it. You can see from the picture it's walking path only right now. What you don't see is that 2 months ago this whole thing was stacked to the roof with stuff. Some was junked, some was given away and some was burned and pitch over the hill. Still more to go before we can move in.
Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 02914
Here it is a little cleaner.
Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 02213
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 1:22 am

Like I said I'm hoping to pour some concrete and I have to run some new electric out there enough to run the 220V welders and air compressor.

What do we have to work with? 2 arc welders. Big one and a small one. Two mig welders. One is set up to run gas but I have to get the bottles filled other one is flux core. We have cheap tubing bender. We have an English wheel, planishing hammer, stand up air compressor and a smaller 110 compressor, big press, mobile sandblaster, sand blasting cabinet and a small brake good enough to bend 24" wide stuff. Two drill presses, one small one and one big one. Bench grinder, come a long mounted in the roof top and a shop vac. We even have a stereo and a tv.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 1:41 am

I looked it up and the bolt pattern is 4 1/2. Samantha has two tires we can use to pull it in the garage if she will let us borrow them. Sami???? You can have them back when it's in the garage. We just need them for 20 foot push to where it's going..
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebel girl January 5th 2014, 1:50 am

Reb Stew wrote:I looked it up and the bolt pattern is 4 1/2. Samantha has two tires we can use to pull it in the garage if she will let us borrow them. Sami???? You can have them back when it's in the garage. We just need them for 20 foot push to where it's going..
I don't mind.
Rebel girl
Rebel girl
Scrounger

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 2:28 am

You are such a great young lady.  Very Happy 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 2:30 am

Amy burned all the cardboard, old seats and garbage that was in the gasser today.
Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 02013
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 4:51 pm

A little more chatter since we can't get our hands dirty right now. From the get go I thought it would be nice to have a flip front end. After looking at the hood it's the best choice for the dog house. If you look at the picture you can see the hood is rusted away inside where the red circle is. We will weld the fenders and hood together, patch the rust holes and weld the body panels together that are pointed to with the red arrows. Body filler will smooth everything out to a one piece.

Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 0541210
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 5th 2014, 5:12 pm

Most of these 40's style gassers I have seen they strip the chrome off and even ditch the grille for a piece of aluminum with speed holes or line cut in them. I think the stock grille is one of the nicest looking grille of all the makes of that year. This one is really rough. If we have to we will cut it and make one but my plans are to save this one. It's hard to say if we can until we get all the chrome off and start messing with it. It's in bad shape but I think it's worth the man hours to try to keep it.
Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 05412g10

Also most people rip off the chrome. It's a race car who needs chrome right? This is not going to be just a race car. We will cruise this gasser so having some chrome won't hurt. We are missing one of the three cross pieces of chrome right in the nose. Looking at the car it breaks it up too much anyway. We will take the two off we have but keep the chrome that runs up the nose and down the sides of the hood. We will also ditch the hood ornament for a little cleaner look. The red we will ditch and the light green we will keep.

Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 P1090410

Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel January 5th 2014, 7:23 pm

I'm with a lot of you, I'm going to learn as I go.. I do know we need this gasser to get a second glance when she rolls in. If we make it look like a truck instead of an average 41 that will be a great start. Paint, custom work, and of course the sound will do great as well. That's just my opinion though.
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 January 5th 2014, 7:56 pm

Reb Stew wrote:Most of these 40's style gassers I have seen they strip the chrome off and even ditch the grille for a piece of aluminum with speed holes or line cut in them. I think the stock grille is one of the nicest looking grille of all the makes of that year. This one is really rough. If we have to we will cut it and make one but my plans are to save this one. It's hard to say if we can until we get all the chrome off and start messing with it. It's in bad shape but I think it's worth the man hours to try to keep it.
Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 05412g10

Also most people rip off the chrome. It's a race car who needs chrome right? This is not going to be just a race car. We will cruise this gasser so having some chrome won't hurt. We are missing one of the three cross pieces of chrome right in the nose. Looking at the car it breaks it up too much anyway. We will take the two off we have but keep the chrome that runs up the nose and down the sides of the hood. We will also ditch the hood ornament for a little cleaner look. The red we will ditch and the light green we will keep.

Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 P1090410

I like all those idea's Steve.
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook January 6th 2014, 2:30 am

Good ideas all around, Steve. cheers  I like the grill and think it's worth the effort to keep it. Been debating some on the running boards but cannot make up my mind one way or another.

As for paint I would love to go candies and lace...or at the least a metallic of some sort. Do the windows to match the car color.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 6th 2014, 3:11 am

Nanook wrote:

As for paint I would love to go candies and lace...or at the least a metallic of some sort.  Do the windows to match the car color.  

Later,

Lee
 Twisted Evil 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook January 6th 2014, 3:35 am

Reb Stew wrote:
Nanook wrote:

As for paint I would love to go candies and lace...or at the least a metallic of some sort.  Do the windows to match the car color.  

Later,

Lee
 Twisted Evil 

Somehow I just knew you would be down with this.  Smile  If I decide to turn the '77 'vette into a bracket car I plan on doing this...probably pearl white with metallic blues and lace. Name it 'Skookum' in honor of my Pacific Northwest roots. We used this word a lot back home in Alaska.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skookum

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 6th 2014, 3:38 am

I need someone to do some work at their house. While it's cold there is a few things we can do. Maybe you can get it and work on it at your house? If there are any takers on this stuff speak up. Don't be shy.

We will start off with the radio. Issue is that it looks great in the dash. Some people take all the stuff out and just weld the dash all up like there was never anything there. That's okay but this car has a killer looking dash and the radio is all part of it.
Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 Ca081110

Scroungers Gasser Project - Page 6 Mzbvd310

What I'd like to do is keep the radio in the dash for looks. This radio is HUGE and HEAVY! When we get the dash loose if someone wants to take the radio back home they can take it apart and gut it. Only thing we really need is the face to put back in the dash. Not sure what it would take. We may be able to just use the face and buttons and bolt it back in. If everything is connected in a way that you need the box we can just gut the tubes and anything else inside the box that will reduce weight.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 6th 2014, 3:42 am

Skookum.. I like the meaning. Never heard it used but around here why would I. Is it pronounce like it's spelled?
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 January 6th 2014, 4:35 am

If there's anything I can do at the house let me know Steve.
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook January 6th 2014, 5:59 am

I'll be happy to disassemble the radio, Steve. I can do it inside right at my workbench.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 6th 2014, 7:02 am

Thanks Marty. Sound good Lee.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Kentucky Kid January 6th 2014, 2:21 pm

Worst case on the grille, you could always make a tube grille that resembles the original.
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid
S.W. Ky Chapter President

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next