{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scroungers Gasser Project

+24
JRiggs
SouthGaKidd
LRS30
frmula505
oldman
Striping Stew 54
RustyKarr
extenzegrl
junkyardjeff
TAHOE
hotrodaaron77
big dogs 42
Lady rebel
Rebel girl
911TAZZ
Marty042
Kentucky Kid
Butch Thompson
Chris55
pepboys speedshop
EdgeGT
6-71Kid
Nanook
Reb Stew
28 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scroungers Gasser Project Empty Scroungers Gasser Project

Post by Reb Stew December 20th 2013, 9:23 pm

The club is building a gasser. This is a club project that will be built in the Cin-Tucky Chapter due to it being the hub for most activities. The car will be showed and raced when finished. It will also be moved from chapter to chapter as long as other chapters have a place to store it safely while they have it. With the Scroungers Car Club being a national club it's hard for everyone to be able to work on the car but if you are close and you want to help you are encouraged to help. Not only is this a car that the club will have it will showcase the club and what we are about. It will show our skills and what is more important it will sharpen our skills. This car will be a lesson in all things done in hot rodding. This is not going to be just a slap together jalopy that we beat on. This is going to be a car that we take that is a total pile of junk and make something out of it.

Last edited by Reb Stew on December 23rd 2013, 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Scroungers Gasser Project Empty Re: Scroungers Gasser Project

Post by Reb Stew December 23rd 2013, 2:32 am

What we are going to do is not for the weak at heart. It's not something that most would take on. We don't have the cash to buy cool parts or buy a wicked 41 Willys body to make a gasser out of it. We will do something with what we got which isn't much. That alone is hot rodding at it's truest form. Think about that. We have all been there. No money, not many parts and having to make due with what we have.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 23rd 2013, 2:41 am

We looked at a few cars but nothing panned out. I made a phone call to an old friend and it looks like we may have a body. It's not what most would start with for a gasser project but after we cut it up into little pieces and slap it back together we will see what we have. We are going to pick it up in a few weeks and see what we have to work with but for now here are a few teaser pics.
Scroungers Gasser Project 58056711
Scroungers Gasser Project 99989411
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook December 23rd 2013, 2:52 am

Reb Stew wrote:What we are going to do is not for the weak at heart. It's not something that most would take on. We don't have the cash to buy cool parts or buy a wicked 41 Willys body to make a gasser out of it. We will do something with what we got which isn't much. That alone is hot rodding at it's truest form. Think about that. We have all been there. No money, not many parts and having to make due with what we have.

You make due with what you have and are blessed with. Far too many folks sit on the sidelines due to no car/project to mess with. So this is a great way to get everyone involved and for some of us to learn a few things.  Cool  I know I am looking forward to it!

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid December 23rd 2013, 6:27 am

Thats a nice little tease
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT December 23rd 2013, 8:46 am

Ha cant wait to learn how to build one! Now to dig out the Scrounger Cave in the side of the hill!  bounce 
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2013-03-23

https://www.facebook.com/david.hillii.16

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 23rd 2013, 9:18 pm

This is going to be about as much a back yard build as there is. First car I ever painted I painted it in the grass. A few cars I painted in a garage with a dirt floor making a plastic room inside the garage to keep dirt out. While this is not the best way to do things I feel this is better starting point for some. I see new guys spending every buck they have to do things to their cars they really don't need to.
Hot rodding to me is not throwing money at it. It's doing something with what you have. I think some of the younger builders we have in the club may learn a thing or two about school hot rod building by starting this project with nothing.

We don't even have a good garage to build this gasser in. To start out I think we will make a simple carport. It's not going to be fancy but the car will be out of the rain. That old dirt floor garage is still in the back. If we build a fast carport or lean to on the front we can use it for the gasser and use the old garage to put our tool in it and have work space in it to work.

I may need a crew here willing to do some work on the carport. As long as you can keep up with me you will be fine. How hard could it be to keep up with a broken down old man.  Suspect
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop December 23rd 2013, 9:45 pm

I built a gasser in the early 80's but it was just a street car, 65 mercury comet straight axle with an old school 312 and tunnel ram

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 December 23rd 2013, 10:31 pm

You mean you can build a hot rod out of old stuff????? Shocked 
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop December 23rd 2013, 10:36 pm

yeah, its strange I know, you dont have to buy every thing new

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT December 24th 2013, 5:31 am

Hey now! Haha my engine is an exception, ive been dreaming of exactly how i want this thing for literally years. And im OCD like crazy about it. But once i get that one out of the way ill be better Wink its a bad obsession when i start having more dreams of an engine than women lol pretty excited to learn how to build something from nothing though. Never had a chance to do that!
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 24th 2013, 5:45 am

EdgeGT wrote:Hey now! Haha my engine is an exception, ive been dreaming of exactly how i want this thing for literally years. And im OCD like crazy about it. But once i get that one out of the way ill be better ;)its a bad obsession when i start having more dreams of an engine than women lol pretty excited to learn how to build something from nothing though. Never had a chance to do that!
Who said anyone was talking about you. Man that must have rang your bell. lol...

Don't take anything to heart. Get that engine tuned in and hit some of these old geezers. I think Joey's time has come. Call him out David. Very Happy
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT December 24th 2013, 5:51 am

Oh no didnt take that wrong at all lol come on i got thicker skin than that on my toe nails stew Wink im just being way too over the top on this engine and i know it. Literally down to the last bolt is new. Only thing not is the block and head castings which were machined. So yeah i need to get down and dirty and not so perfect. And you talking bout big joey? Calling out the monte?
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT December 24th 2013, 6:33 am

Haha! The nova? Ill need a 200 shot. Ill just stick to calling ut shelly driving the monte Wink LOL
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson December 24th 2013, 6:47 am

aAt least u r putting it back in what it came out of. It was out of a 1970 monte carlo going back in a much lighter 1978 monte u r not cross dressing it. Keep up the good dream they will b reality soon enough it will eat that moose
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT December 24th 2013, 6:52 am

Heck yeah cant wait! Oh and steve not sure how much help itll be but you can have the wheels and tires for the gasser when i get some for the monte. At least itll roll on them.
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 24th 2013, 7:07 am

EdgeGT wrote: Oh and steve not sure how much help itll be but you can have the wheels and tires for the gasser .
Not "I" but the club. The gasser is as much yours and every other club member as it is mine.

I'm just screwing with you on the racing man. You know it would not matter who you could or couldn't beat we would be right there cheering you on. Just don't let that person ride shotgun with ya!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Kentucky Kid December 24th 2013, 6:04 pm

Cant wait to see this unfold! To me, the fun of building has always been the challenge of working on a tight budget and making things work where they never belonged. I learned this stuff from my grandfather, who's been "scrounging" since the late 40's. But it is a dying art.
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid
S.W. Ky Chapter President

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 27th 2013, 5:42 am

Here is our temporary club house looks like. It's not much but I have wrenched on 100's of cars right in this little dirt floor garage. It's too small to do a project like the gasser so we are going to build a cheap lean to on the side or front to put the gasser and use the inside for tools and other work.
Scroungers Gasser Project 02812
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 27th 2013, 5:46 am

For the last two or three years I have been storing stuff in it. Car parts and then the whole inside of the house and garage from Newport. Since we moved here I have been slowly getting stuff out of it. You can see from the picture it's walking path only right now. What you don't see is that 2 months ago this whole thing was stacked to the roof with stuff. Some was junked, some was given away and some was burned and pitch over the hill. Still more to go before we can move in.
Scroungers Gasser Project 02914
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 29th 2013, 12:52 am

I was hoping to pick up the car today but I talked to him yesterday and he was worried about digging ruts in the driveway while it was muddy. He told me to give him a week or so and when the ground was froze in the early mornings he would pull it out and park it where we could get to it with a rollback..
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 December 29th 2013, 12:56 am

Let me know if you need any help Steve. Free about anytime time right now.
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 29th 2013, 1:24 am

Thanks. Will let ya know...
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook December 29th 2013, 3:18 am

Reb Stew wrote:I was hoping to pick up the car today but I talked to him yesterday and he was worried about digging ruts in the driveway while it was muddy. He told me to give him a week or so and when the ground was froze in the early mornings he would pull it out and park it where we could get to it with a rollback..

Steve, let me know when you go. I'd like to give a hand and also take pics/document the '41 build from the get-go.

Later,

Lee

P.S. Fridays and Sundays are my 'free' days. Smile 
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 29th 2013, 4:04 am

I'll try to let everyone know. It's really up to Randy what day we can get it. He's got the rollback.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next