{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about buying a new truck

4 posters

Go down

Thinking about buying a new truck Empty Thinking about buying a new truck

Post by junkyardjeff November 13th 2013, 1:36 am

I have nothing I can get in a drive cross country so I had some time after leaving the doctors office so I went new truck shopping,the last time I done any serious pricing was in 89 and how I got sticker shock. In 89 I could have ordered a F150 fully loaded at the time for 16,500.00 and one dealer had a similarly equipped F150 to what I wanted in 89 for 33,000.00,never had a new vehicle and would love to have one just once but worried about if I can fix it after the warranty is out. Being its the end of the year I could probably get a good deal but wont have access to my money until spring so I might have to put it off until next fall,I would like to have something decent without having to build one but will most likely talk myself out of buying a new truck but if I do the bronco,66 F250 and the Harley would have to go.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Thinking about buying a new truck Empty Re: Thinking about buying a new truck

Post by Reb Stew November 13th 2013, 1:44 am

I'm glad to be done with a new car payment. Not sure I'll ever buy another new car.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky November 13th 2013, 2:54 am

Dad bought a new 08 dodge diesel in Nov of 08. 09 was going to be the new body style. He was able to get it cheaper than a half ton chevy at the local chevy dealership. Bought his in Western Missouri. Its nice to hope in something and hit the road.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 13th 2013, 3:46 am

I would be paying cash for it but not sure if I want to spend 30 grand,if I could get it for around 20 I would probably do it but I doubt with all the incentives they could get it anywhere close and I definately do not have anything of value to trade in. What I want might be hard to find as most are crew cabs and 4x4s but I want a regular cab 8 ft bed V8 2wd with the usual options,the one dealer had one with the color I like but if I cant get to my money early next year I can not afford payments so I might have to forget it until then. I was reading the sticker about the gas mileage but thought it would be more then 18,I am getting 13 out of the 66 with the 460 with the steeper gears and after I switch it to a 1/2 ton with better gears I might be able to get close to 18 but I do not know if I would want to drive it long distances as I am not in my 20s anymore.  I hate to say it but I want one that is a bit more comfortable then those old pigs I have so I might have to bite the bullet and buy one,I would buy a used truck but know nothing about the newer motors and would like to have owned one new vehicle in my life.

Last edited by junkyardjeff on November 13th 2013, 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more words)

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew November 13th 2013, 5:00 am

Hell if you have $20K to blow, stick it into one of the hot rod and make it dependable for a daily.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 13th 2013, 5:43 am

I think I have talked my self out of it,no sense in wasting money I have for retirement for a brand new truck. Not going to ruin a old car for a daily driver driving it in the salt so I am going to see if I can find one about 2 years old still under the powertrain warranty,I also could not stand to scratch up a new 30 grand truck hauling brush to the dump so used it will be. Friday while I am at the bank will check into a loan on a newer used car and sell the 66 and the Harley to put enough down so the payment wont be too high or too long,there is also bringing a nice early to mid 90s truck in from out west and save a bunch of money but I would like one new truck before I am pushing up daisies. I just do not think I could ever get the 66 to ride as nice as a newer truck and that new regular cab has way more room in it then the older regular cabs,I love the old trucks but do not want to drive them in the winter and need one that is a little more comfortable. Might not be able to do it right now due to not being able to get into my money next spring but I have enough stuff to start selling so by next fall I could have a low mile latemodel truck but it was nice to dream about a new truck,I know you cant take it with you but 30 grand for a new truck is just a bit too much.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas November 13th 2013, 1:17 pm

I understand about the wanting a new truck. Got it out of my system early.
i wouldn't worry too much about working on modern engines though. We run all Ford pick-ups and vans in our fleet. about thirty trucks. We regularly get over 300k out of them and don't buy all new. We have a fleet salesman at one of the dealers and he gets a truck in with less than 50k at the right price we'll usually buy it. We insist that our guys service the trucks but you got to know how construction and service vehicles are treated. Most of the trucks we finally retire are sold to an employee and they just keep on driving them. Nope, not scared of a used one thes days.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 14th 2013, 1:11 am

I can buy a lot of gas for 30 grand so I am going to be on the hunt for a cream puff 90 or 91 F150 from out west and have it shipped in,if I spend over 20 grand I wont have any money left to buy a car trailer and other stuff I need around the house so I am going to forget about a new or fairly new truck. The more I think about it is that is way too much to spend and deplete my retirement savings at the same time,now if I were to come up with a terminal disease with only a couple years to live then hell yes I will buy a new truck but I hope to live after I reach retirement age so I need to watch my spending. If I find one out west then there could be a little vacation and fly out and drive it back and see the west coast too.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky November 14th 2013, 2:53 am

What kind of Ford vehicle are you looking for? I've seen some pretty nice ford trucks around here that are solid and have low miles. Seems like old fords don't sell very good. My uncle had a nice early 90's ford truck with low miles. After he retired he bought a new truck. Not sure if he still has it or not.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 14th 2013, 5:20 am

90 or 91 F150 regular cab long bed XLT 2wd and would like to have the towing package,5.0 or 5.8 automatic and most options. If I can find one I will most likely sell the 66 f250.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down