{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

+8
hotrodaaron77
Cratethis
JRiggs
Reb Stew
Novaman
falconwagon62
Arieldouglas
junkyard junky
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty Manly Yard Sale, Saturday May 26

Post by Reb Stew May 7th 2012, 7:04 pm

Greg posted this on F.B.
I thought some of the locals may want to go..

Manly Yard Sale, Saturday May 26, 7:00 AM till 2:00 PM at Chuck's Auto Body on US 27 in Alexandria, Kentucky. This will be our fifth time doing this and it gets better every time, lots of car parts and related man stuff, feel free to reply for vendor space or questions.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 39880110
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty shooting on the corner of 8th and Patterson

Post by Reb Stew May 7th 2012, 9:18 pm

One of these little grease balls that are running around here in Newport with the primered black 78 Ford Stepside pulled on the corner of 8th and Patterson about an hour ago and had a guy walk up to his window and take a few shots at him. Evil or Very Mad 2 blocks away from my house. It's getting worse around here. The guy missed. 6' away and they guy missed a sitting target in his truck??? The driver knew the shooter. They all run in the same little want be tuff guy crew. What's wrong with these people. I would have rather seen the bullets hit the target. At least that way we know some poor little kid wouldn't get hit with a stray bullet while he was riding his bike!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty Re: Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

Post by Cratethis May 7th 2012, 10:49 pm

It pretty pathetic around here. Newport has the ability to really change its colors. With the east side having gone through an over haul. The new Kroger and Target. A group finally using the old Thrift Way. But City politics and arguing amongst each other and letting no money be an excuse to not put in the work to finish things off. The west side is quickly turning into one large section 8 community.

My parents got my wife and I tickets to the underground tour over in Cincy. The tour is located on Vine street near the Kroger there. If anyone is even a little fimlar with that part of Over The Rine, it's an area you don't go to. Especially a couple of white people. I'm not the least but racist, that's just how it goes. Well that is at least how that street use to be. I was floored at the change in the area felt completely safe. Streets were clean. Lots of business in the store fronts. The ones that were empty we're securely boarded up and the boards had been painted to look like it was an old store.

We all have heard the budget issues that Cincy has been having. And you don't have to be a local to know of the violence and murder rate of Cincy over the past 5 to 7 years. But the city hasn't let budget issues and other things stop them from trying to fix these issues. They have allowed other companies and groups to come in and take over the derlick buildings. Securing them to keep them from being flop houses and stabilizing them to make them attractive to potential investors.

All that to say, if they can change Over The Rine and make it a place where people want to come to and where people want to live, Newport could do the same thing. But they have to stop fighting amongst themselves, be willing to let go of some control and support the good people who are living here. The biggest thing I see, like most politicians and politics, is they have control they want more control and therefore will not give up any control. In reality they just end up with less control. (not that Cincy is a perfect group of politicians. And I do know there are good people on the Newport police force and city officials)
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty Re: Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

Post by Reb Stew May 7th 2012, 11:03 pm

Well said.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodaaron77 May 8th 2012, 12:07 am

That's where the bullit hole in my ta door came from
hotrodaaron77
hotrodaaron77
Scrounger

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2010-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs May 8th 2012, 3:59 am

man i hope that a bullit hole in the door isnt the reason why your going to sell it Sad ....
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by da injun May 8th 2012, 4:41 am

Yeah the change in Over The Rhine might seem like a good idea; Clean it up, rebuild it, raise the cost of living, bring in a whole new look to the neighborhood and make it trendy.....BUT....the problem did not just disappear because it looks better than it did in years past, the problem just moved to other parts of the city. It happens in every city. On the surface it looks better, and it might be, but the crime goes up on other areas.
da injun
da injun
Mechanic

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil May 8th 2012, 12:51 pm

da injun wrote:Yeah the change in Over The Rhine might seem like a good idea; Clean it up, rebuild it, raise the cost of living, bring in a whole new look to the neighborhood and make it trendy.....BUT....the problem did not just disappear because it looks better than it did in years past, the problem just moved to other parts of the city. It happens in every city. On the surface it looks better, and it might be, but the crime goes up on other areas.

Exactly. When you flush the rats out of one area they are just going to surface somewhere else. It's a double edged sword. Try to improve one area, ruin another. Sometimes I feel it's best to just leave the monkeys in their cage...
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Number of posts : 759
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Novaman May 8th 2012, 5:52 pm

I could walk to this. Think I may go.
Novaman
Novaman
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew May 8th 2012, 6:36 pm

It's a fact. I hate to say it but that is the problem here. We had the West End of Newport doing great. The crime rate was going down yearly. New home owners were moving in. Then Newport bulldozed 3/4's of the projects down and run them throughout the city. The crime rate in the Historical East Row went up that same year, then the West End and now it's all over Newport.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew May 8th 2012, 6:43 pm

da injun wrote:Yeah the change in Over The Rhine might seem like a good idea; Clean it up, rebuild it, raise the cost of living, bring in a whole new look to the neighborhood and make it trendy.....BUT....the problem did not just disappear because it looks better than it did in years past, the problem just moved to other parts of the city. It happens in every city. On the surface it looks better, and it might be, but the crime goes up on other areas.
I don't go over there anymore so what you guys are saying is interesting to me. When I did recovery work for the banks it took me over there sometimes nightly to work. White guy in a repo truck in that part of town stuck out like a sore thumb. I could tell you a few nasty stories. It was not fit to drive through little more to live there. It was a really rough place years ago. Gun shots almost nightly. I wouldn't even keep my firearm holstered. I would have it next to me slid down at the edge of the seat so all I had to do is pick it up. Friggin' nuts!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty Mike's Nova

Post by Reb Stew May 10th 2012, 9:05 pm

I seen new pics on FB. Does Mike have his Nova out?
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 26903510
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty KY 9 Plan Gets State Cash

Post by Roller Coaster May 15th 2012, 3:47 pm

NEWPORT — After years of planning, a new infusion of state funding has fast-tracked the extension of Licking Pike (Ky. 9), a project expected to transform Newport.

State lawmakers have allocated about $18 million to the project, enough to fund right-of-way acquisition and construction of a new four-lane road that will bring Ky. 9 north along the Licking River, taking the busy commuter route out of residential neighborhoods.

“I think it opens up a world of opportunity for the city,” said Newport City Manager Tom Fromme. “It allows us to create new development opportunities down along the river. It does create the opportunity to redevelop the neighborhoods in the West End, and to reduce the traffic and all the detrimental impact that that creates. And it makes it easier to drive through Newport.”

Design and right-of-way plans will be finalized in late June or early July. Right-of-way acquisition could begin this fall, and construction could begin as soon as late 2013. The total cost is between $22 million and $24 million.

The new road will improve traffic and safety while providing a much-needed new north-south route between Newport’s riverfront and its suburbs to the south and west. It will also open up dozens of acres to new development, potentially revitalizing Newport’s West End.

“It’s a highway project that’s going to assist with better traffic mobility, but it’s an economic project as well: It’ll allow for economic growth in the area, and as development does come along the riverfront and in the area, it’s going to provide good access to that,” said Rob Hans, chief district engineer for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6 in Fort Mitchell.

In the far southwest corner of Newport, northbound Licking Pike/Ky. 9 now narrows to one lane and ends abruptly at a sharp “L” curve in the road, emptying more than 7,000 vehicles daily onto West 12th Street and into a maze of two-lane residential streets.

The new Ky. 9 will continue straight onto Lowell Street, now a little-used road in an industrial area. The new road will run parallel to the Licking River, past the former Newport Steel site, eventually connecting with Ky. 8 at a roundabout near the foot of the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge, which carries Fourth Street across the Licking River. It will continue east, ending at a second roundabout at the foot of the Taylor-Southgate Bridge across the Ohio River.

That will open up dozens of acres of land to new and redevelopment: The old Newport Steel site alone is about 20 acres.

The new road will also bring increased traffic that could be a boon to surrounding cities, especially Wilder and Covington. And it will provide improved access to the riverfront region itself, particularly to the planned Ovation development on West Fourth Street.

The 30-acre, $1 billion residential and retail development has been stalled by the recession, but Corporex President and COO Tom Banta said the economy is beginning to pick up and the company hopes to break ground when the state breaks ground on the Ky. 9 extension.

“It’s a cornerstone of our plans,” Banta said. “We’re anxious to see the state get it going.”

The new Ky. 9 will displace some existing business and residential properties, chiefly north of Ninth Street. About 30 properties will be affected to some extent, including seven residential and two commercial properties that will need to be relocated entirely.

Plans call for the new Ky. 9 to run directly through 171 units of public housing just south of Fifth Street, the KOI Auto Parts store between Fourth and Fifth streets, the Ovation site, the Newport on the Levee surface parking lot on Fourth Street, and the Travelodge motel on West Third Street.

The Housing Authority of Newport is working with federal, state and local officials on a plan to relocate residents who will be displaced by the project. Executive Director Tom Guidugli said the dense, 1960s-era development is outdated and needed to be replaced anyway. Residents will likely be relocated to other housing in the city.

The housing authority oversees 1,000 units of public and Section 8 housing in Newport, Bellevue and Fort Thomas, and it owns land throughout Newport.

NKY.com
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew May 15th 2012, 6:41 pm

Amy and I was talking about this the other day. It will be a boost to the West End of Newport.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis May 15th 2012, 8:20 pm

It will also open it up and take away a lot of dark dead ends. I think it will help with crime in that things will be a lot more open and take away hiding places on the far west side.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs May 15th 2012, 8:28 pm

will they be taking bob sumeral tires and the buildings across from it/
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters - Page 2 Empty Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

Post by Reb Stew May 16th 2012, 3:06 pm

Shocked
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs June 4th 2012, 5:55 am

JRiggs wrote:will they be taking bob sumeral tires and the buildings across from it/

Question Question Question Question ,

JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 4th 2012, 6:39 am

Not sure Riggs. I would think so.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs June 4th 2012, 7:07 am

yeah ididnt understand how the route was going to be. plenty of room on the left side of brighton untill you got to the black peoples church on end of elm by old folks home then the cross over into the park and take all those housings. i noticed that ky motor redid their front of store and in the inside. money gimmic ? (to get more money when road comes thru?) .

i hope thats the route the will take. is sure will suck if they take the old riggs auto service building. ill have to get down there once it happens and see about buying or borrowing (lol) the old sign that still hangs...
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 4th 2012, 7:23 am

JRiggs wrote: i noticed that ky motor redid their front of store and in the inside. money gimmic ? (to get more money when road comes thru?) .
I think that was their plan.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs June 4th 2012, 7:29 am

kinda assumed that Very Happy
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 4th 2012, 3:51 pm

If you look at the lot it looks like they redid it. The holes are still in the lot they just put a shiny new black sealer over it all and new yellow parking stripes. Looks better though. I don't care if they close it or not. It's walking distance from my house and I may have bought 2 things there in the last 10 years. I don't care for the service or prices.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs August 6th 2012, 8:07 pm

my uncle that lives in tennesee is in search of a 47-53 chevy truck, or panel project.
has up to 3500 price range.

hes willing to travel.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 7th 2012, 12:34 am

Hey, What you guys going to be up to around lunch on Wednesday? I may have to run up to Augusta to look at a job. Only a few more miles North to Newport and can hit the I and come home that way instead of through Lexington.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next