{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

+8
hotrodaaron77
Cratethis
JRiggs
Reb Stew
Novaman
falconwagon62
Arieldouglas
junkyard junky
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Empty Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

Post by junkyard junky February 25th 2012, 3:22 am

Talked to my uncle who went to a cattle meeting Thursday day night in Metaclfe county, ky. There at the meeting was a Kentucky DOT officer who spoke about new trailer laws coming. According the officer and my uncle, If a person travels over 150 miles from their home in ky,they need to have a license plate for the trailer. It also sounds like sometime in the near future every trailer will need a break away box. I'm not sure on the size of the trailer or if this applies to only new trailers that are being sold from a dealer. If you use a trailer for farm use, you do not need a license plate. My uncle who owns a salvage yard ask the DOT officer if he could still haul junk plastic gas tanks off wrecked cars to the land field in his cattle and trailer and the answer was no. If he wanted to do so, he need to license the cattle trailer.

The officer stated stated that they were already pulling over pickup trucks with ladders. I'm guessing to make sure its strapped down. So if you're traveling through south central ky and hauling anything, I'd make sure its strapped down real good. I went with dad up to louisville to the VA hospital and the dot was out pulling over trucks left and right.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Empty Re: Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

Post by Arieldouglas February 25th 2012, 3:32 am

What they're getting us on is tags. A regular pickup tag is good for 9000 lbs. TDOT is setting up on the side of the road and pulling over pickups with trailers. 9001 lbs on 9000 lb tag is $287.00 +. They love people pulling horse trailers because they stand there looking like WTF until they're told to move along and make room for the next Schmuck. Evil or Very Mad
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Empty Re: Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN Chapters

Post by falconwagon62 February 25th 2012, 3:37 am

Ohio has had trailer tags forever, BUT....Never on a tow dolly, I also see wood chippers, hot tar pots, air compressors with NO tags or Lights, never did understand that....Indiana is being dicks about trailer brakes on everything as well....
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas February 25th 2012, 3:51 am

In TN private trailers under 16 feet never had to have tags, But times are a'changin' my son.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas February 25th 2012, 3:52 am

Arieldouglas wrote:What they're getting us on is tags. A regular pickup tag is good for 9000 lbs. TDOT is setting up on the side of the road and pulling over pickups with trailers. 9001 lbs on 9000 lb tag is $287.00 +. They love people pulling horse trailers because they stand there looking like WTF until they're told to move along and make room for the next Schmuck. Evil or Very Mad

I'm talking about the tow vehicle tag. They don't care about the trailer tag.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 February 25th 2012, 4:26 am

they don't pick on Non-Comm trucks here...I can pull a 5 ton truck with a 1/2 ton truck, as long as it is not as a business....
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas February 25th 2012, 1:08 pm

falconwagon62 wrote:they don't pick on Non-Comm trucks here...I can pull a 5 ton truck with a 1/2 ton truck, as long as it is not as a business....

Must be some of those KY folks with the big camper horse trailers standing there looking like they were hit between the eyes with a hammer, going WTF just happened. Razz
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas February 25th 2012, 1:24 pm

My brother owns a horse campground up by The Big South Fork. TDOT loves to set up on one of the main roads into the area and write overweight tickets all day long. Like I say in TN a regular tag is good for 9K. It's easy for a four horse, camper trailer to go 16K. They go by the tag on the truck. Don't really even care if the trailer has a tag on it. Even though any trailer in TN over 16' is supposed to have one.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Empty Saturday, May 19th...DYNO DAY 2012!!

Post by Novaman April 24th 2012, 6:47 pm

When: Saturday, May 19TH!! 9am-??

Where:
Cincy Speed
7306 Vine St
Cincinnati, Oh 45216

$40 for 2 pulls w/Air Fuel & printout!!

Burgers and Hot Dogs will be provided as well as bottled water.

$100 Gift Card will awarded to the Highest HP.

Other plaques will be awarded for Highest HP, Highest TQ and People's Choice.
Novaman
Novaman
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Empty Old pics of Newport

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:13 pm

All these pics are of the West End Park on 11th and Brighton. The park use to sit where the whole sell store is now. Just to the right of the new bridge going into Covington. In the picture you can see the old toll bridge as it starts to go up. On the other side of it is the big building(used for the trollies?) that still stands but they can't keep the kids from busting the windows out of it as they walk across the new bridge.
These pics are from the 1920's

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 52400110

If you look at the building right behind the swing set that is the West Side Cafe
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 53036910
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 57555410
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:17 pm

The Strand Theater (formerly the Lyric Theater) located at 827 Monmouth Street. The first talkie shown in Newport was shown here on May 14, 1929. It was the all sound western, "Old Arizona". Before 'talkies', Newport's theaters offered live theatrical entertainment such as plays, musicals, vaudeville, fashion shows and beauty contests.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 15015_10
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:23 pm

in 1977 I was 7 years old and I remember clearly walking across the Ohio River when it froze over with my dad. I'd have to hunt for them but there are pics of me standing in the middle of the river.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 23517_10
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:33 pm

I remember this place all too well. I remember hanging out in White Castles one night with the guys and my brother yelled out over the CB he needed help at the Cabooze. He got out of his truck and 3 guys jumped him. He whipped out his pistol and popped off 6 rounds hitting and dropping one of the guys. That was a bad night!
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 24534_10
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:39 pm

7th & Central in Newport looking East with the old Arnold School in the background
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 25094_10
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs April 26th 2012, 3:41 pm

trauth dairy vehicles
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Trauth10
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Newpor11

the auto vehicle parts co. flyer , aka auveco which is located in cold spring now
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Newpor12
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:49 pm

Taken at 11th & York St., A.D. Owens in the background. 1967
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 15005_10
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 3:51 pm

JRiggs wrote:trauth dairy vehicles
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Trauth10
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters Newpor11

the auto vehicle parts co. flyer , aka auveco which is located in cold spring now
[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f46/16/06/4img]
It's sad to think that as long as Trauth as been in Newport it's slowing coming to an end. Jobs were cut way back and I seen auction signs up for stuff inside the other day. I don't think it will be long and that place will be closed down for good.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:05 pm

I really like these. Have you seen that Buick before?
Old photo of Pompilio in Newport.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 35751_10

This next one should give it away.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 35751_11
Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. That's the shot in the movie Rainman when they drop the tooth picks and he counts them while they are on the floor. That was at Pompilio's here in Newport.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:09 pm

Monmouth St.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 15514910
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:12 pm

Eilerman's, 818 Monmouth St
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 16804010
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:16 pm

Wagon Bridge, Newport. The original Old Wagon Bridge was built in 1919 over four sets of railroad tracks and connected South Newport with West Newport. It connected 13th Street and Grandview to 12th Street and Patterson. It was closed in 1984 after the state determined it to be unsafe. It was demolished in 1987 and rebuilt as the Berning-Jordan Bridge.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 16778610
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 16778611
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:33 pm

11th and Monmouth St.
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 39263310
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:38 pm

This is around the corner from my house and it's a 2 story building. That shows my house was all the way under the water other than the pitch of my roof.
1937 Flood - 9th & Patterson St., Newport, Ky
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 42015910
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:40 pm

Glasers drug store at 10th& Monmouth Newport
Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 42520710
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 26th 2012, 4:43 pm

Chit Chat Specific To Ky, OH, IN  Chapters 56476310
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next