{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things Had to Change Today

3 posters

Go down

Things Had to Change Today Empty Things Had to Change Today

Post by Z-YOU October 19th 2010, 11:20 pm

Wasn't planning on working on cars today, but the weather was too good & I needed to change the oil on the Van & the Camaro.

I use VR1 Racing Oil for the Camaro. Since I put the forged stroker in it that's what I've been using. Since it's not intended for normal use, it doesn't comply with the new requirements to get rid of the stuff that protects engines from wear. The other thing I like is that it's regular Dino oil, so if any gets sucked into the intake through the PCV system, it'll burn. The synthetic oil will not burn. It makes a mess of the intake valves. The LS engines are known to suck oil through the PCV system at high RPMS.

Things Had to Change Today CamaroOilChange002

To combat the PCV system issues, lots of people put expensive oil catch cans on their LS engines. I figured that if the problem was positive crankcase pressure from blowby, I'd eliminate the possibility of positive pressure. I bought an inexpensove one-way popoff valve and installed it in the oil fill cap. I set it so that if there is any positive pressure (meaning not under vacuum) in the crankcase, the popoff valve will open allowing the pressure to escape. It isn't uncommon for people with high-revving LS engines to blow the dipstick out and puke oil all over the place. Mine isn't a problem.

Things Had to Change Today CamaroOilChange003
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Things Had to Change Today Empty Re: Things Had to Change Today

Post by RebStew October 20th 2010, 12:55 am

That's a killer idea.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 20th 2010, 5:04 am

A terrific idea, Steve. Thanks for sharing it!

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down