{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learned a Few Things Today

+5
junkyardjeff
TurboPinto
John B
RebStew
Z-YOU
9 posters

Go down

Learned a Few Things Today Empty Learned a Few Things Today

Post by Z-YOU April 7th 2011, 7:00 pm

Decided to go ahead & change the oil in the Z06 today in case I take it to the Edge this Sunday.

I found out that RedLine 15 w 40 oil is Blue.

Also relearned the fact that you should always check to make certain the oil filter gasket from the old filter didn't stick to the engine block. It has been so long since that happened to me that I didn't even give it a thought. Started the car up & had excellent oil pressure so I went about the business of cleaning all of the debris from the A/C condenser & the radiator. I had gotten a big pile of crap out of the condenser & radiator & I saw some oil dripping off the oil filter. Looked up there & sure enough, there was a gasket squeezed out. The old one was still up there.

Lost about 1/4 quart of brand new expensive full synthetic racing oil - from being nonchalant with what I was doing. pale

Last edited by Z-YOU on April 8th 2011, 4:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Learned a Few Things Today Empty Re: Learned a Few Things Today

Post by RebStew April 7th 2011, 8:36 pm

That stinks. I never check. I guess I will from now on.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU April 7th 2011, 9:34 pm

Could have been worse. If I had taken it out and spun the rpms up the way it was, I'd have had oil everywhere & maybe an engine scattered. I feel lucky I cought it.

I can't believe the gasket stuck to the block because I always lube the gasket before I put the filter on.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by John B April 7th 2011, 10:00 pm

I've changed oil on a thousand or more cars. Even oiling the gasket won't keep it from sticking.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboPinto April 8th 2011, 12:12 am

I had heard years ago about oiling the gasket before you install the filter. Up to that point, I had never had one stick. Since I started oiling the gasket, I have had them stick on three occasions.
TurboPinto
TurboPinto
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 8th 2011, 3:16 am

You did put the filter on,I was changing the oil in my 53 olds years ago very late in the evening and filled the filter and put the rest in the motor and some how forgot to install the filter. I was wondering why there was no oil pressure so I shut it off and found the mess,glad there were stores open late so I could get more oil and cat litter and it was a very late night after cleaning up the mess.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by rainman April 8th 2011, 3:19 am

Heat and the type rubber ring on the filter, I've had a few stick in my day doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. Having said that I still oil them and more importantly I don't overtighten them.

rainman
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs April 8th 2011, 4:37 am

growing up dad always told me to oil the the gasket and pour a little in the filter, always have done it since, then my dad always told me stories about my grandpa having a cow if one little drop was left in the qt, grandpa built something and awhen a qt was so called empty he'd take it to his homemade drain and flip it upside down so no oil was left in the qt. Lol the stories I've heard of that man. Musta been a character, bee hives, snakes, panties, beer bottles all things he'd put in customers cars so he'd get a kick out of it....
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU April 8th 2011, 4:47 am

No guess work on the LS engines. The oil filter gets torqued to 22 lb ft. I know it sounds like that's way too tight, but that's the oem spec & that's the way I install them.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky April 8th 2011, 4:51 am

When changing oil in my dad's chevell onew time, I recieved the wrong oil filter. Had the same diameter, length and screwed on ok but it was different on the inside. Squirted oil everywhere. I try to compare the new filter with the old filter.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson April 8th 2011, 3:27 pm

ive in my younger days forgot too put the bolt back in the pan and managed too get 5 in and start it i was on a gravel lot in belleview dum but caut it when i started it and ratteled a bit lol
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down