{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost.

5 posters

Go down

cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost. Empty cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost.

Post by RsvBill May 17th 2010, 5:40 pm

I have a th350 and 400 available for the car. the 350 is a short one, the 400 is long.. Am i wrong to think this, both are 3 speed Automatics? So what is a better trans and why? Room is not an issue, but have been reworked at Bischoff's. any thoughts?
RsvBill
RsvBill
Scrounger

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2008-02-28

http://picasaweb.google.com/wryanjr

Back to top Go down

cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost. Empty Re: cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost.

Post by RebStew May 17th 2010, 6:00 pm

You will get diferent thoughts on this but here's mine. 400 are suppose to be stronger than a 350. I have had a few 400 and burned them up. I have had 350's go out too but I've had better luck out of the 350's. It takes a little more HP to get the same HP to the rear wheels if you use a 400. This wouldn't be noticeable unless you was a true grit die hard racer that was shooting for micro tenths in the 1/4. I'm not sure which weighs more but I'd guess that it's the 400. The 350 is common and easier to get today. So if you blow it apart it's easier to get another one. If you use the 400 LT and blow it up then can't find another one reasonal then you will have to toss in a short tail 350. That means you will have to do driveshaft work at that time.
All in all myself, I like the turbo 350. They will hold up to a good amount of HP and are dependable.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost. Empty Re: cant sleep SO i am thinking and got myself lost.

Post by RsvBill May 18th 2010, 6:29 pm

yeah not sure , which to use, i just want to make more room in the garage.. maybe i should just build anothr garage. that always helps.
Sarah and i had a good time chatting with you and the boss last night.
RsvBill
RsvBill
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 18th 2010, 8:03 pm

It was good to see you. We need to take the girls out to dinner one night when we are both free.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 May 18th 2010, 10:42 pm

The turbo 400 has about 33% more surface area on all of the clutch packs in the transmission. The torque converter is larger and all of the gear systems are much more heavy duty. The weight difference is only about 15 lbs. The parasitic drag will be a little higher on the 400. It all depends on how heavy the car is, what rear gear you are running, how much HP, slicks vs street tires, and how much track time the car will see. The TH350 tends to work exceptionally well with modestly powered cars, but the more durable Turbo 400 is better equipped for high-performance vehicles. Just my 2 cents.

While gear ratios vary, the most common are

Turbo 400

First Gear - 2.48 to 1.00
Second Gear - 1.48 to 1.00
Third Gear - 1.00 to 1.00
Reverse - 2.07 to 1.00

Turbo 350

First Gear - 2.52 to 1.00
Second Gear - 1.52 to 1.00
Third Gear - 1.00 to 1.00
Reverse - 2.07 to 1.00
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel May 20th 2010, 11:29 pm

RebStew wrote:It was good to see you. We need to take the girls out to dinner one night when we are both free.
I love you
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson May 21st 2010, 12:23 am

every 400 that ive had shifts out of first at 58 hundred with out touchin the shifter go from lo1 to drive hold the pedal down and it shifts itself
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by RsvBill May 24th 2010, 5:00 am

now i ned to figure out about a torque converter , the engine is from a 72 corvette, bored .60 running basic 264 heads. the cam , lifters , push rods, everything but crank was replaced over a year ago at THE ENGINE SHOP in Dry ridge. has a thumper cam I do believe guess I should look at eh box. what stall speed should i need? if pushing by th350? basic I am thinking. maybe the mild at worse what you think?
RsvBill
RsvBill
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 24th 2010, 9:47 am

Need to know the specs on the cam.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 May 24th 2010, 7:30 pm

Here is a fairly good article on choosing a converter. Hope it helps.
http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/selectingconverter.html
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 25th 2010, 2:08 am

Nice link Chris. I'm going to post that down in the tech section too in case anyone else goes looking. Thanks...
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down