{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster

4 posters

Go down

With a one year old, what would you do?

1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_lcap0%1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_lcap40%1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_lcap60%1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]
1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_lcap0%1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster Empty 1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster

Post by Roller Coaster February 4th 2010, 6:01 pm

I am on a budget, but I am thinking about turning it into a "traditional hot rod" which would include keeping the drivetrain original (except adding a split manifold, dual 2" exhaust with Smitty mufflers, and maybe a dual single barrel intake), 16" Firestone bias-ply wide white walls, patching up the rust spots, and lowering it 3" all the way around.
As many of you know, I don't go anywhere without my little man Gauge, and go very few places without my wife. With that in mind, I am not sure what to do with the exhaust. I have never had anything with lake pipes and would love to have lake pipes (only functional) on the car, but I am concerned about the little man's and my wife's legs. So, your opinion is appreciated.
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster Empty Re: 1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster

Post by Mr. Fabulous February 4th 2010, 6:36 pm

PLEASE TRY NOT TO GET UP SET OVER THE RESULT. IT SEEMS EVERY TIME THERES A POLL ON HERE IT ENDS UP A DISASTER.

I THINK THE EXHAUST WOULD SORT OF DEPEND ON HOW YOUR GOING TO USE THE CAR. IF YOU PLAN ON VERY LONG TRIPS (OR CRUISES) AND THE EXHAUST EXITS RIGHT BELOW THE WINDOW, THE NOISE WILL DRIVE YOU OUT AFTER AWHILE. I WAS IN A CARAVAN OF CARS ONCE FROM DAYTON (OHIO) TO KALAMAZOO AND THERE WAS A SPLIT SIX IN THE GROUP. NOBODY WANTED TO RUN BEHIND HIM BECAUSE OF THE NOISE. I KNOW MY MERC ISN'T REAL LOUD BUT IT DOES HAVE GLASS PACKS ON IT, YOU RIDE FOR 6 OR 7 HOURS IN THAT THING AND YOUR EARS ARE RINGING AND ON THE VERGE OF A HEADACHE. SPLIT SIXES WITH MUFFLERS ARE LOUD, ALMOST UNBEARABLE WITHOUT. ASK JUNKYARD JEFF, HE'S GOT A SPLIT SIX. IT SOUNDS GREAT BUT IT'S A LITTLE NOISY.

aLSO, ITF YOU USE THE STAINLESS, IT HOLDS THE HEAT A LOT LONGER THAN REGULAR EXHAUST PIPE.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster February 4th 2010, 8:46 pm

Mr. Fabulous, you will quickly learn that I have broad shoulders and do not get upset easily. My theory has always been, why get mad when you can get even.

As far as use, I do not plan on using it for very long trips or cruises (it will only run about 50 miles per hour comfortably). I don't know the difference between a split manifold and a stock manifold, but currently I have 2" straight exhaust and it isn't all that loud.

I want to use stainless because of it corrosion resistant properties. Anyway, if I put fresh chrome on my car it would stick out!

My main concern is the possibility of the little man's and my wife's legs getting burnt.
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 4th 2010, 9:07 pm

I would run exhaust with a nice muffler and have the dumps welded into that. If you are taking it easy with the family you can leave it corked but if you want to get a little power or make some sound you can uncork it. The lake pipes if hooked up will hold heat. Anyone that ever road a bike carries the scare on their leg from the pipe burn untill you do it enough to know not to touch it. Same as a car. Even when you know it's there you forget till get get that first good burn. Dumps behind the front wheel will be out of the way.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 4th 2010, 9:08 pm

Anyone have a picture of that black Chevy from the club that Scary Larry is in. One with the full pinstriped firewall.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 4th 2010, 9:24 pm

I may have the club wrong but this is the car I was talking about. You can get an idea of what they would look like. He runs both.

1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster P7210630
1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster P7210627
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 4th 2010, 9:25 pm

I'd shove the dumps out of the wheel well and not under the fender though.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous February 4th 2010, 9:37 pm

THAT GUYS FROM MIDDLETOWN AND ONE OF THE VOODOO KINGS. HE RUNS WITH TAZ AND THAT GROUP. I THINK HE WAS RUNNING A GOLD AND BLACK 54 CHEVY LAST SUMMER.

I'D RUN THE SHORT ONES OUT THE FENDERWELL ALSO. I THINK THE LONG LAKES PIPES LOOK BETTER ON THE CARS FROM 49 ON UP THRU THE 50'S. JUST MY $.02.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster February 4th 2010, 10:26 pm

RebStew wrote:1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster P7210627

I love the looks of that old Chevrolet! But, what is going on with the "Kustoms of America" crest on the fenders? Laughing
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 4th 2010, 11:06 pm

Mr. Fabulous wrote:THAT GUYS FROM MIDDLETOWN AND ONE OF THE VOODOO KINGS. HE RUNS WITH TAZ AND THAT GROUP. $.02.
That's the club. Voodoo Larry is in the club. The other chapter but same club.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 5th 2010, 2:19 am

If you go with glass packs do not get the short ones as they are too noisey,if you keep the original gears in the rear end they might be ok but now that I got taller gears I am getting a annoying drone now so I am going to change the mufflers this year.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous February 5th 2010, 2:01 pm

See....................... Razz
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire