{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird

+38
Marty042
Reb Stew
Brownie
TurboPinto
John B
Chris55
Arieldouglas
Crucial
falconwagon62
hotrodaaron77
Torque
jbs10
Z-YOU
Admin
Vickers
cornfield customs
SMOKNZ
Butch Thompson
hp77skylark
Hellvis
chev_hotrod
ss 383
CustomCabby
magicman_1968
cruisinlow71
DEMONSPEED
FalconEddie1964
RustyKarr
JRiggs
6-71Kid
LRS30
xycho_wraith
big dogs 42
silveradolady
Cratethis
Lady rebel
RebStew
Rebel girl
42 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 Empty Re: Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird

Post by RebStew April 30th 2010, 6:14 am

Yeap. I don't think I show enough love for the guys in the club. I can be pretty rough at time but most of us have known each other since we were kids and the ones I didn't grow up with it still seems like I have known them all my life. I have truely been blessed and have a great bunch of friends. We help each other out when we can and that's what it's all about.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 Empty Re: Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 7:39 am

Busy weekend! I noticed the rear glass seal was bad when I saw some water shoot inside the car when I was washing it. I borrowed Joe's fancy Scroungers Windshield Knife to cut it out. I stuck the knife in the seal and it whipped right around without any tension. At the top there was about 4 to 6 inches of the seal holding the glass. I got lucky and cought it before the back glass flew out on the highway.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 012-6
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 006-5
You can see the dirt on the rubber seal. It hasn't been stuck in a long time.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 007-5
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 7:44 am

Since I had the back glass out, I have always wanted to do this to the rear panel.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 008-5
A little spray on stripper.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 013-4
Finished off with some sanding to get all the paint off.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 017-3
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 7:53 am

I then took it over to Corn Field Customs to get some louvers pressed in it.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 037-2
The louvers came out nice. The bottom of the fliier has some rust pits so I shot some converter on the inside before priming.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 039-2

Last edited by RebStew on May 4th 2010, 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:02 am

I talked to Terry Thursday and he wanted me to bring the car to the shop for the gear change on Friday morning. I had the back glass out but if he's willing to work on it then I can drive it without the back glass. I was up early and changed the oil. I only had about 50 miles on the oil with that pure zinc added to it. $$.. When I put the tunnel ram on it I lost some water in the engine. Another oil change with Torco Zinc $$. Got the oil change out of the way and headed to Terry's. It didn't take Terry long and he had the 456's out and the 342's in!
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 007-6
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:10 am

I came home and fooled around a bit before it was time to meet up with a few guys and head to the Milford Cruise. A little too happy about my gear swap and not thinking about using more gas with the ram, you guessed it. I ran out of gas! I can't remember the last time I ran out of gas. I'm not talking about a couple years. It's been like 15 or more years. Walking to the gas station was fun. I called Johnny and told him I'd catch up. Being able to run faster than 50 MPH down the highway sure helped out. Made it to Milford and had a good time. On the way back we did a little racing and then I headed to Covington for a cruise in that I forgot about until I was heading home. Long day!
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:16 am

I have cleaned this area up before but it's prone to water sitting in it. No through rust but the is the 3rd time in 20 years I've had to deal with the scale rust.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 009-4
Where the rear seal was bad it also let a little scale rust start around the seam sealer in the window channel. Nothing major but I don't want it to get worse so I stripped all the seam seler out, treated it and resealed it.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 008-6
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:26 am

One thing that has always drove me nuts is the prep work GM put into these F Bodies. You can see the ripples in the tops on the doors where they were press out and the lead work in the sale panel is really bad. Every Camaro and Firebird I have ever seen is like this. I can't just do one thing. It seems everything snow balls. So you guess it. I knew I was going to paint the window channel so why not fix that factory lead spot in the sail. I cleaned it up and used a little glaze.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 013-5
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 017-5

For anyone wondering, that is not cheap bondo. The glaze is a super thin plastic filler. It is really easy to sand and goes on almost like water. The stuff is killer. It is not for filling in dents. This stuff is for small stuff and for blocking out cars. When you see those fancy shows where they cover the car in Bondo and then sand the whole car down, that's not Bondo it's a glaze. It you covered the whole car with Bondo you would shoot your self before sanding that hard crap off. If you have never used the glaze give it a try. Pretty cool stuff.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 018-4
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:31 am

It's hard to tell from these pics but no more noticable lead work.
I pulled out the old method of painting and laid down some lacquer on the sail panels and window channel.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 024-2
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 025-4
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod May 4th 2010, 8:33 am

lookin good bro its coming along good:)
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Number of posts : 462

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:34 am

Got the louvered panel and the rear window back in.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 002-4
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 003-8
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 006-6
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod May 4th 2010, 8:40 am

i like the louvered panel it looks good
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:55 am

In the middle of posting this stuff I smelled smoke. House over on 10th street.
Not sure if anyone was in it or not.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 036-3
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 035-2
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 032-2
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 8:56 am

chev_hotrod wrote:i like the louvered panel it looks good
Thanks man..
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 9:08 am

Now back to the Bird. Still watching the fire....
Like I said above I shot the sail panel and channel with lacquer. I guess you can see what color the car is going. Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 Icon_smile
This is only the second time I ever shot lacquer. With all the crackk downs and the EPA freaking out they say they are going to do away with lacquer. I figured I'd get one lacquer job in before they pull the plug on it. You ever hear of the old saying about 10 coats of hand rubbed lacquer? Well it's not 10 coats but it's hand rubbed to see what it would look like. No buffer. Just 1500 DRY sand paper and a little rubbing.
I used that new 1500 grit disk that uses no water. It works good. Here it is sanded.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 010-5
Here's the first rub.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 012-7
Here's the second.
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 017-4
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 9:19 am

Last couple of pics before I call it a night. I have been slowly getting the Bird back to some what streetable. I have been looking at fuel cells with sending units in them. I came close to buying one but held out hoping to find one on Craigs List or something. Well then I ran out of gas Friday night. So Saturday I was ready to order a new one. I was looking around in Summit and Jegs for the better deal and made it out to work on the car before I made up my mind. Wondering what size I could manage to stuff in the small trunk I started looking.
Not much room is there?
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 011-6
It's been a long time since the fuel cell was put in the Bird. My memory isn't the best either but when I peaked through the speaket hole look what I found. Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 Icon_eek
Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 010-6
Guess I don't have to worry about buying a new cell. Hopefully it all works when I hook it up.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod May 4th 2010, 9:36 am

lol it sucks to get old ....lol
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 10:34 am

chev_hotrod wrote:lol it sucks to get old ....lol
YES IT DOES! LOL Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 Icon_lol
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by hp77skylark May 4th 2010, 3:06 pm

That pretty cool, never saw that panel louvered on a car before! Also is it just me or do you have alot of fires in your area?
hp77skylark
hp77skylark
Scrounger

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by cornfield customs May 4th 2010, 3:25 pm

the panel looks killer on there. glad i did the one row, i think any more might have been a bit much

cornfield customs
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 6:36 pm

cornfield customs wrote:the panel looks killer on there. glad i did the one row, i think any more might have been a bit much
Yeah I have to agree. Like I was saying at first I thought about 2 sets. I think the way you set it up was perfect. 2 rows would have been way too much. I did it for the looks but looking back on it with the water sitting in the hinge area this may help get it out of there faster too. Water / rain runs straight off the back glass and into the trunk channel where the hinges are. Through evaporation or air moving through the filler while I'm driving it may move that water away from the hinge area and on down the trunk channel. So it may help with that years on down the road. Thanks again.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 4th 2010, 6:37 pm

hp77skylark wrote:That pretty cool, never saw that panel louvered on a car before! Also is it just me or do you have alot of fires in your area?
Makes you wonder doesn't it. This one was about 5 houses away from the last one that cought fire. Same block.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by hp77skylark May 5th 2010, 12:52 am

I think i would invest in cameras to make sure there is no crazy arsonist running around.
hp77skylark
hp77skylark
Scrounger

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 May 5th 2010, 3:47 am

LACQUER was all we ever sprayed growing up, I got so tired of wet sanding I thought about going into the safe cracking business, cause as kids we never had finger prints cause dad always made us wet sand everytime he got pissed at us.. (which was alot!..lol) Yhea lacquer provides a killer deep shine, its the durability that was its down fall.. Gas stains it easy, tends to dry-out and crack, bout man it sure does smell good, wait what did you say about short term memory loss.....I like the louvered panel, nice touch...
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 6th 2010, 4:58 am

Broken Wing Project. The 'Bird - Page 9 003-10
I got my front sway bar back from my powder coat guy. The sway bars, front springs and a few other small things will be this grey color. I didn't want anything flashy but didn't want everything black either. So a muted grey will do. I'm going to buy some new springs and get the front end back up in the air the way it was with the small block. Everyone wants their car on the ground. I guess I'm just living in the past because I like the old 70's nose in the air look. I want to replace a couple ball joints too. The car has over 130K and it still has the stock ball joints.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next