{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More snow!

+7
junkyardjeff
John B
TAHOE
dieseldr
big dogs 42
Chris55
Reb Stew
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

More snow! - Page 2 Empty Re: More snow!

Post by pepboys speedshop January 21st 2014, 3:19 pm

there is a guy here at work who experiments with solar, he started off as a hobby and slowly over about a 5 year period he is about 85% solar and said at this point he has about $9500.00 invested and now is beginning to see savings plus the occasional sell back to Duke

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 21st 2014, 3:32 pm

That's not an unreasonable investment. He's onto something.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 22nd 2014, 12:46 am

If the sun would shine a little more around here in the winter I would be interested in solar,I just dont see how it would work here with all the cloudy days.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 22nd 2014, 1:53 am

We've had a fair winter for sunshine here in western NY, not that it has been warm (cuz it hasn't been). Last year we had 4 days, of partly sunny days, that the nat'l weather service called "sunny days", between Oct 1 first and feb 28, yep, just 4. It was really a dreary winter. That's the problem with wind and solar, they generally should be supplemented with something, usually each other.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 5th 2014, 9:40 pm

Had about 6 to 8 inches up here today,took me to about 10.30 to be able to get out so I took off work. My street seems to be the last they plow so I do it myself with my lawn tractor,I cant wait to get the 15 hp sears suburban ready as its going to get a plow and should be much better them my 10 hp tractor.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 February 6th 2014, 1:13 am

I started out the door @ about 6:00 this morning, shoveled, lost reverse in one car, managed to get it back in the driveway, got the other one stuck, more shoveling, the snow was so deep I could hear that I was plowing with the old Ford.  Finally made it to work just after 8:00.  Pretty good for an old heart patient that's not supposed to be out in this stuff.  It's supposed to get down around zero for the next few nights and then more snow this weekend.  Sure would be nice if we had a furnace/boiler that worked.  Tired of freezing at home, work and in the car.  Thinking of going to a motel for a night for some warmth.  Wished I had the dough to go out to the Winternationals this weekend.  Went years ago, it was fun and WARM.  
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 6th 2014, 1:18 am

Still have not plowed my street and if I did not have the plow I would be stuck in the house,when it was a township the plow came by sooner but after it became a city the services went down hill.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 6th 2014, 1:40 am

junkyardjeff wrote:Had about 6 to 8 inches up here today,took me to about 10.30 to be able to get out so I took off work. My street seems to be the last they plow so I do it myself with my lawn tractor,I cant wait to get the 15 hp sears suburban ready as its going to get a plow and should be much better them my 10 hp tractor.

We got about the same here in western NY. 6-8 inches. I have a plow on my pickup, for my own convenience because not only do I plow mine, I plow my mother's drive, which is a rather long horseshoe drive, about 450 feet, plus with the interstate here, it acts like a wind tunnel and piles up drifts at times. I don't normally plow for others, but the feller who usually does the local driveways just had shoulder surgery, and got blessed with 4 phone calls for snow removal. 3 were a walk in the park, just nudge it out of the way. The 4th was a horribly steep drive, with a sharp curve in it, 100 feet from the crest of a steep hill on the county road. Nerve racking enough, but with an ex-cab truck, it was a true challenge. I waited till dark, mainly because at least in the dark you had an indication of oncoming traffic coming up the hill so I didn't back out in front of someone. So a little extra snow pushing for the neighbors, just to be a good neighbor. I don't want to be a regular source for this so they all got free plowing. I would probably make better money doing this than working, but here we don't get enough regular snow to justify that service full time. Unless you did a seasonal charge compared to a per job charge. I'd rather do something that requires a little more brain power than "move snow".
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 6th 2014, 2:08 am

I have 3" thick ice down my driveway. Amy was snowed in from work so we just hung out today. I got a path cut out for one side of the car. I guess tomorrow I'll try the other side of the drive.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 6th 2014, 2:28 am

Ice is the worst. People can't stand on it, cars can stand, but they don't move well. Falling ain't the worst, it's that sudden jarr when the ground is reached. THEN the trouble starts.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 9th 2014, 5:33 pm

Honey I found the car!!!

More snow! - Page 2 18887610
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 9th 2014, 6:13 pm

Reb Stew wrote:Honey I found the car!!!

More snow! - Page 2 18887610

Reminds me of the blizzard of '77- lots of abandoned cars were chewed up by the snowblowers trying to open the highways. A snowblower kinda raises the devil with sheetmetal when it gets "ingested". And the blowers don't fare so well either. 
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 10th 2014, 12:03 am

They are saying we should get a 40 degree day this week. Yahooo!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis February 10th 2014, 4:46 am

Can't wait to be able to be out in the sunshine without all the winter layers. This in ability to work on any project is killing me.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 10th 2014, 5:34 am

I caught the flu bug going around. It's not been a good two days. I have a city meeting Monday night. Looks like I'll be home if I'm not making a better recovery than everyone else.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis February 10th 2014, 5:49 am

Been there. Was out for 6 days.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE February 10th 2014, 6:51 pm

Reb Stew wrote:I caught the flu bug going around. It's not been a good two days. I have a city meeting Monday night. Looks like I'll be home if I'm not making a better recovery than everyone else.

I got some bug too I think. Not full blow flu, but my head is plugged up, can't breath, sinus headache, sore throat from drainage, it sucks I can tell ya. Still pluggin away though, good thing I came to work, 3 outta of the 5 in the lab are off today.

Here was my son plowing the neigbor's this past wednesday, that stuff was the worst we had yet, heavy, wet, and then the ice on top and bottom. After he got done, I ended up doing two more neighbors' and then haul tractor to my mom's, plowed for 3 hours, probably why I am sick now

More snow! - Page 2 Drewplow_zpsfaed0afe

More snow! - Page 2 Drewplow2_zpse711108d

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 15th 2014, 2:58 pm

I have never been so sick of snow in my life. Wonder what a heated driveway cost? I hear Jeff Wyler has one and the last Marge Schott. Not sure of the spelling.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop February 15th 2014, 3:48 pm

I worked for the Village of Glendale Ohio as a fire Captain for many a year and there were several heated drives there, for the most part they seemed to work pretty well, but I would hate to imagine the cost

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 15th 2014, 10:23 pm

About 5 more inches of snow last night,my lawn tractor is getting a workout plowing this year and I hope this is the last snow of the year.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ February 15th 2014, 11:01 pm

5 hours of snow removal at work this morning, I have never been so ready for winter to end in my entire life!
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 February 16th 2014, 1:04 am

junkyardjeff wrote:About 5 more inches of snow last night,my lawn tractor is getting a workout plowing this year and I hope this is the last snow of the year.

I think we're supposed to get more snow this weekend and I heard people talking @ work about the Farmer's Almanac and near blizzard conditions yet to come in February. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Seems strange to watch the Winter Olympics and it's 60 degrees there and hasn't been above freezing much here in the last month. Everybody's bitching about the weather but I'd take the sunshine and the snow we've had over a month of grey days and rain.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 16th 2014, 3:12 am

City has not been around to plow the road yet so I am glad I have the plow,I beat them to it and should send a bill for my services.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 16th 2014, 4:21 pm

Another 2 inches on the drive this morning. I'm done with the shovel. 40 in a couple days and even a 60 degree day this week. I'll let it melt and walk the drive if I can't get up the hill.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 February 16th 2014, 4:41 pm

junkyardjeff wrote:City has not been around to plow the road yet so I am glad I have the plow,I beat them to it and should send a bill for my services.

They haven't plowed our street either. They haven't for the last few falls we've had. Makes it a little hard to get up the hill, just have use a different street out of the neighborhood.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next