{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I guess you are stuck with me.

+14
6-71Kid
John B
falconwagon62
Cratethis
junkyard junky
dieseldr
Lady rebel
Chris55
Marty042
extenzegrl
Nanook
Roller Coaster
Arieldouglas
Reb Stew
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I guess you are stuck with me. Empty I guess you are stuck with me.

Post by Reb Stew February 11th 2013, 10:42 am

As you know I was planning on moving away. Looks like things have changed. If all goes right I'll be staying in the Northern Kentucky area. This has been in the works for a few months. Nothing is set in stone yet but we got a house for my parents. Something that will be easier for the age they are at. 1/2 acre lot with a nice ranch style house. I should be working on it within 30 days. Mom wants some walls knocked out and a total remodel.

I'm buying the family property and moving there. Mine will be sold after I'm done working on it. I'm hoping to have enough money to get a track loader for a week and cut the backside of the hill off. A place to put the Garage Ma Hall... Fill in some low spots in the front and dig out a nice size pond down in the field by the river. That's if I have the funds to make it happen. I have been spending way too much money the last few month. It's tight!

Last edited by Reb Stew on February 11th 2013, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

I guess you are stuck with me. Empty Re: I guess you are stuck with me.

Post by Reb Stew February 11th 2013, 10:51 am

Dad was worried about him passing with the property. The way the land lays there is no way to split it between the 4 kids. He put it up for sale and figured he'd move someplace else so there would be no issue with it when they passed. I hated to see this happen but I understood.

I think it hurt dad to have someone else living on the property. He and mom talked about it and came to me after I told them I was moving south. Someone wanted the property and was wanting to buy it. All the right things fell in place and I told them I'd buy it. They told the guy it wasn't for sale anymore and called me to come and get the signs at the road front.

The kids were more than happy to rip the sign out of the ground.
I guess you are stuck with me. 01710

Sami wanted me to rip the one off the post.
I guess you are stuck with me. 01810
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 11th 2013, 10:53 am

There is still some hoops I have to jump through but if all goes well I'll be moving out there in a few months.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas February 11th 2013, 11:44 am

Congrats to all. It sounds like you have worked out a deal that's good for all.
I could never move back to our home place. My dad doesn't sell because he doesn't need the money but the farm is an island in a sea of subdivisions.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster February 11th 2013, 1:47 pm

Congratulations!
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook February 11th 2013, 3:50 pm

Glad to hear you are staying put! Looks like the kids are happy too about it! cheers

Thrilled,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl February 11th 2013, 4:13 pm

Wyatt will be thrilled.. Happy that things are working out... I guess we can help you move..lol
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 11th 2013, 4:52 pm

extenzegrl wrote:Wyatt will be thrilled.. Happy that things are working out... I guess we can help you move..lol
Wyatt and Aryan will have a place to scare the crap out of us on their quad runners now.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl February 11th 2013, 5:20 pm

The other day when we were there someone said something about you all moving. On the way home Wyatt. Asked where are they moving and I told him to southern Ky and he was about in tears. I can't wait to tell him the good news!
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 February 11th 2013, 10:00 pm

Glad it all worked out for you! Lets us know when you dicide to move to the new place... Sounds like a work ,well... moving session! Wink
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 February 11th 2013, 10:19 pm

Congratulations, glad to here the place will stay in your family.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel February 11th 2013, 10:39 pm

It will be great to back in the country but still close to all the stores and highways. The only thing I worry about is selling this house!! With all the work that is going into it, hopefully will pay off.. Anyone want to buy a super nice home???!!
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook February 11th 2013, 11:50 pm

Marty042 wrote:Glad it all worked out for you! Lets us know when you dicide to move to the new place... Sounds like a work ,well... moving session! Wink

Yeppers, I'll be more than happy to help out...even drive the 'bird over to the new digs if need be! Twisted Evil

Hee Hee,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster February 12th 2013, 12:07 am

Lady rebel wrote:It will be great to back in the country
Back in the country...you still about twenty miles to far north! Razz
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 12th 2013, 12:39 am

I know what you mean.
If it all works out I'll die right there. I love the place.

Besides having deep family roots the property has historical value. In 1789 the land was the first white settlement in this area. History buffs only know about where it was. The Kentucky Historical Markers is on AA Highway but is not anywhere near where the main part of the 200 acre settlement was. I know right where it was. On our land. There are old foundations and other things right there. A ton of history. It was settled on before Kentucky was even a state. It was VA.
The place was called Leitch's Station. I have done tons of work on the settlement. I have told no one other than family. I don't want people snooping around digging up stuff.

I have enough info I may write a book about it someday. Very interesting stuff.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 12th 2013, 2:30 am

The whole thing sounds great, everyone wins. I am in a similar predicament, the old homestead, which Mom still holds down, is right next door to me. Dad's been gone for 28 years, she talks about moving to town, but then realizes she can't live in town, for her own reasons. I have plans when she's gone to own it, since I don't think it would be in my better interest to have somebody else in there when I'm next door. So I have been working my tail off for the last 10 years and squirreling away all I can so I can pay cash to my brother and sister when the time comes. I refuse to get a mortgage- my parents never had a mortgage on it, and I never plan to get one. Not that we are wealthy, just refuse to jump thru the hoops for lending institutions to have a place to live. Just hope I can strike a deal to buy out my brother and sister for a reasonable price, if not I'll be selling some hotrods. With the economic slowdown (recession/depression) still raging, we aren't saving anything, and worse, I'm not building any new hotrods either. We are fortunate we don't owe anybody anything, so it's not the end of the world either way, just would like the ability to do what I want to do, not what I have to do. Only time will tell where it will end up- maybe we'd be better moving to PA, it's only 40 miles, get the h--- out of NY.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky February 12th 2013, 4:54 am

Buy a tractor and equipment and start farming. Very Happy

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 12th 2013, 5:03 pm

My old Furguson is sitting there. It hasn't been started in years. I'm hoping I can get it running without ripping it all apart. Any farming will be for family usage though.

Looking at solar panels and wind to help too. I'm hoping to be off the grid within 5 years.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis February 12th 2013, 8:54 pm

Sounds good! Glad you won't be too far. Need to find me a place out that way too.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky February 13th 2013, 1:16 am

Last year's garden was fun for me. I wish I could find a vintage garden tractor with cultivators. I have a friend that is going to give me a 70's cub cadet 149. He just needs to finish rebuilding the engine. If you going to be using a tractor a whole lot you might look into a diesel. Old gas tractor go thru fuel like crazy. I sold my Farmall Super MTA this past Sunday to a friend from college. I've heard a couple of stories about people going thru a 50-55 gallon barrel of gas a day when they were ran hard.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 13th 2013, 8:11 am

50-55 gallon barrel of gas? That must be on a working farm. That's crazy. Most of what I'll be doing with the Furguson is bush hogging. I'll have to do some work on the back brakes. They are a little iffy. Cutting close to the rivers edge you need them to steer at time to get around the trees fast. It's shy of 7 acres so I don't have to worry about 55 gallons of gas a day. That seems hi for even a big working farm.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky February 14th 2013, 1:44 am

Those old M Farmalls soak the fuel. They use that much when you pull them hard like using a disk. I've heard another story from a different source about using 50 gallons a day. Dad said that he used his IH 986 tractor years ago pulling a big disk. Afetr 15 hours he ran out of fuel and it has a 72 gallon tank. A local guy who's family farms real big in glasgow told me last year they used a 1,000 gallons of diesel a week when trying to put tobacco, soybeans and corn out.

I'm not sure on Ferguson but the old 2,8 and 9n's have brake adjustments on the backing plate. Might have a little oil on the brakes alo. They make a new seal for the axle shaft that just slides on after you pull the axle shaft.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 14th 2013, 4:36 am

No wonder the farmers are loosing their rear if they are sucking that much fuel. What a shame. It's the one thing our Government should have helped out with. They would rather put them out of business and have stuff brought in on boats.

This Furguson looks just like my old 8N Ford the way it's made. It's needed brake work since I got it. You know how it is. You don't really need the brakes on one of those but it's nice when you want to steer with the back brakes.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew March 16th 2013, 2:15 am

I have been out on the property a lot these last few weeks. Checking out the property lines and other stuff. The property is a huge hill. Up one side and down the other. And mostly wooded were the property lines would be. I have found most of the markers. Hoping I can get it cut out this summer and put in some proper stakes.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew March 16th 2013, 2:21 am

I needed to park my cars out there but it was a mud pit and there was no place to put them. We haul in a little gravel in the Chevy Truck, 4 tons worth. A few timbers to hold some gravel and we have two more spot than we did.

We parked the Ford in the yard to figure out where would be the best place to gravel.
I guess you are stuck with me. 02912

I guess you are stuck with me. 03710
I guess you are stuck with me. 03810
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next