{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now I feel Old

+4
Roller Coaster
Newbie Nate
RebStew
Arieldouglas
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Now I feel Old Empty Now I feel Old

Post by Arieldouglas July 22nd 2011, 5:08 am

Got a call from my 25 year old son in law this afternoon. Said he was mowing this afternoon with his 1956 International tractor and it just missed a couple of times and quit. He does the maintenance on his vehicles and is no dummy. It's a side draft gravity fed carb with 6 gallons of fresh gas so fuel's not the problem. I asked him if he checked the points. Nothing. Silence. Finally he says "I don't really know about that. I heard of them but never seen any." Shocked Then it occured to me that he was born after electronic ignition came along. He thinks it's normal for a car to go 100K before you change the plugs. That he never had to whip out the pocket knife on the side of the road and scrap carbon off the points to get it home. He doesn't even own a set of feeler gauges. Hell, I still have a mini set on my key ring. By the time point ignition was thoroughly understood, I think he was kind of amazed that that old crap acctually worked so I didn't dare venture into the realm of centrifugal and vacum advance. When we all die off will the art be lost. Sad I hope ther are more young guys out there than I know to carry on.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Now I feel Old Empty Re: Now I feel Old

Post by RebStew July 22nd 2011, 5:16 am

When I was 16 I got stuck on a country road. No tools. A cop was the first one to stop. We set the points with a book of matches and cleaned them off with a Buck pocket knife. cheers

I run points in my 80 Firebird because of the tunnel ram.

On a side note if it just stopped running it may have some dirt stuck in that carb. IMine does that from time to time. I cup my hand over the carb mouth and choke it. It about sucks my hand in the carb but it clears out the gunk.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas July 22nd 2011, 5:26 am

Believe it or not the coil was fried. That lead to a whole new lesson about ballast resistors. I managed to scrounge up a 12 volt coil for him.
We used to get grass seeds in those old Autolite carbs (through the vent somehow was always the guess) on the farm trucks and they would wind up plugging a jet. Simple cure. Cross a couple of wires let it backfire a couple of times and you were good till it floated back in again. Air cleaner mandatory for this cure!!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 16th 2011, 3:44 am

I read about points enough to get them! Well kinda. I was excited that my baby came with a distributor, but it's the HEI so it doesn't really count.

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 16th 2011, 3:52 am

Believe me! Points are great for nostalgia but if you're going to put it on the road and run it trouble free, electronic ignition is the way to go. At one time I would have said "Yea but I can clean up a set of points on the side of the road and be on my way". Fact is though modern electronics are practically bullet proof and just WORK.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 16th 2011, 3:55 am

Sigh, I know I know I'm just a romantic about my wheels.

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 16th 2011, 3:58 am

So what are you running? There is always a place for period correct equipment. Just ask the flat head guys.............and girls.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster August 16th 2011, 2:11 pm

RebStew wrote:We set the points with a book of matches and cleaned them off with a Buck pocket knife.

I have never seen and/or used a feeler gauge to set points. I thought a book of matches were the proper way to set points. On the other hand, a book of matches if more than likely becoming more difficult to locate than a feeler gauge. Laughing
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ August 17th 2011, 2:03 pm

My son is 25 as well and he does know more about the older cars than most, but only because I owned so many of them when he was growing up. He keeps a set of feeler gauges in his glove box. But at one time when I asked him to get me my feeler gauges, he looked at me with a shocking look and asked me what I was talking about.

I will honestly say, I've never used a box of matches. I've used a buck knife several times to take the carbon off of a plug when I needed too. I learn something everyday, although like Greg says, it's difficult to find a box of matches these days.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by oldman August 17th 2011, 3:40 pm

I know I'm getting old! affraid know one run's the roads like they did when I was younger. I tell my boy and granson's when I'm gone no one in the family will like or keep old cars all the rest of my older family have all past on. I'm the only one left that has any thing old the wife tell's them they will sat or she may have too sell them to put me away Wink I'll stop going on an on, so have a great rest of your life.... Very Happy
oldman
oldman
Master mechanic

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 17th 2011, 7:21 pm

There are still a few young ones around that I think will carry on my sir name in this car hobby. My youngest is nuts over cars. I'd rather see him go into the medical field or something that makes money but I fear he will keep grease under his nails like his old man. Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster August 17th 2011, 9:46 pm

RebStew wrote:There are still a few young ones around that I think will carry on my sir name in this car hobby. My youngest is nuts over cars. I'd rather see him go into the medical field or something that makes money but I fear he will keep grease under his nails like his old man. Very Happy

He can still be a gearhead in the medical profession, just skim large quantities of rubber gloves from the supply closet! Laughing

My son is only two and a half years old, but he never misses an opportunity to help dad "work" (scatter tools throughout the garage) on the "pedal tar" (Stylemaster) in the garage. As a matter of fact, he was home very sick and lethargic yesterday due to allergies, but made his mother take him to the garage to see the "pedal tar".
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 18th 2011, 12:48 am

Arieldouglas,

I recently started in on a 91 Camaro with a 350 out of something else in it. I tore the motor down and, hopefully tonight, my uncle is helping be measure my bore, check out my pistons, and see what all I really have to do to get it in tip-top shape. My build will depend somewhat on what I have to replace.

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 18th 2011, 12:49 am

Sorry am I thread-jacking?

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 18th 2011, 1:34 am

Newbie Nate wrote:Sorry am I thread-jacking?
No you are not. We are not like that around here. We want gearheads to hang out, chat and talk about what they want to. Just act as if you have known everyone on here since you where in 1 grade and you will be fine. Hell some of us still act like we are in 1st grade Laughing
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 18th 2011, 1:54 am

I like you folks

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 18th 2011, 2:36 am

Laughing
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ August 18th 2011, 3:08 am

RebStew wrote:
Newbie Nate wrote:Sorry am I thread-jacking?
No you are not. We are not like that around here. We want gearheads to hang out, chat and talk about what they want to. Just act as if you have known everyone on here since you where in 1 grade and you will be fine. Hell some of us still act like we are in 1st grade Laughing

A 1st Grader with a License and time to kill! cheers
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 18th 2011, 5:02 am

Hey Nate,
They call me a Floor Sweep now but I'm really still a newbie on this site. These are just great people and I can't wait to make a road trip and meet them in person. Still haven't figured out how Stew can be on here 24 hours a day. Works all night. Thinking maybe a little Dracula thing going on. scratch Pictures of your car are mandatory though!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 18th 2011, 8:51 am

Just in from the garage. I don't get enough sleep that is for sure!
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis August 19th 2011, 4:48 am

Shortly after getting the Olds, I took the boys for a ride. I told them to roll down their windows. Both of the on cue had a confused look on their face as they looked franticly over the whole door. About at the same time they said, "how?" I then realized they didn't know what crank windows were. The 1969 Olds I had before I got the '55 had electric windows, so they were really confused. That made me feel old.
That and they have no idea what it's like trying to get a clear picture on TV by getting the antennas in just the right spot.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 19th 2011, 5:20 am

It's just starting for yo. Give it ten more years. Laughing
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 19th 2011, 5:32 am

Cratethis wrote:Shortly after getting the Olds, I took the boys for a ride. I told them to roll down their windows. Both of the on cue had a confused look on their face as they looked franticly over the whole door. About at the same time they said, "how?" I then realized they didn't know what crank windows were. The 1969 Olds I had before I got the '55 had electric windows, so they were really confused. That made me feel old.
That and they have no idea what it's like trying to get a clear picture on TV by getting the antennas in just the right spot.
Laughing That's funny
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 20th 2011, 1:05 am

I like you folks

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Newbie Nate August 20th 2011, 3:54 am

Sorry for the repeat post. But it's true so i'll leave it. I'd like to make a trip down there, maybe when I get my old model T runnin I'll putt down there with a small slow revving engine. Razz

Newbie Nate
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next