{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion

+10
Mr. Fabulous
Chris55
John B
Arieldouglas
Admin
Cratethis
scoutmatt
FalconEddie1964
RebStew
junkyardjeff
14 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion

Post by junkyardjeff December 8th 2011, 2:43 am

I forgot how to post on here since most of my pics seem to be too big to upload from my computer and nothing I done so far are worthy of pics.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion

Post by Arieldouglas December 8th 2011, 3:43 am

junkyardjeff wrote:
nothing I done so far are worthy of pics.

I have a hard time believing that! Razz
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 8th 2011, 4:53 am

I dont think dropping a gas tank is worthy of pics but will take some when I pull the trans.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 8th 2011, 2:52 pm

I dont know if I can make it down saturday as I have alot to do.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 23rd 2011, 1:43 am

I should have bought a parts truck instead of buying individual parts since I found out I need a 2wd trans cross member so off to the junkyard saturday.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 24th 2011, 10:24 pm

Going to have a spacer made to make up for the different cross member and the trans is in and bolted up,I rigged it for now and need to get a driveshaft cut down next week and order a part I broke. I have been breaking fuel parts on the pressure side which need to be fixed correctly,if I only broke them on the return side a hose and clamps would have worked just fine.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 1st 2012, 9:26 pm

Had a little set back today,dropped the trans pan on the supposively rebuilt trans and found chunks of metal in the filter and little roller bearings in the bottom of the pan so I dont think its worth wasting 40 dollars worth of fluid and a filter on. Tomorrow I will talk to the guy who built the trans in the convertible and see if he can take this "rebuilt" trans along with the 4x4 trans and make me a good one.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by John B January 2nd 2012, 12:17 am

junkyardjeff wrote:Had a little set back today,dropped the trans pan on the supposively rebuilt trans and found chunks of metal in the filter and little roller bearings in the bottom of the pan so I dont think its worth wasting 40 dollars worth of fluid and a filter on. Tomorrow I will talk to the guy who built the trans in the convertible and see if he can take this "rebuilt" trans along with the 4x4 trans and make me a good one.

You didn't get that transmission off Glenn the Birdman did you?
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 2nd 2012, 1:03 am

Laughing
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 January 2nd 2012, 1:15 am

Must be the same guy I got the "rebuilt" one in my 55 off of. Made it about five miles before it stopped moving. Never knew they made metal flake trans fluid.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 2nd 2012, 1:30 am

Did not get it off Glenn,been doing some looking on the list and have one located in Indy that is out of a truck. I found a few that were out of a car but I am worried about the tail shaft length since I just had a drive shaft made. There is a bearing of some kind that came apart so it would probably be noisy and not last long,I bought this one off someone who parts out alot of vehicles south of Springboro on 741 and would go back but I bought it early in the summer and finally getting around to putting it in.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 2nd 2012, 1:31 am

Don't buy anything off dabirdguy. Anyone who starts off by saying pull my finger may not be a tranny master. I did hear one time he was a " hot rod master builder" Not sure at what but that's what I was told.

1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion - Page 2 PICT2014
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 2nd 2012, 1:39 am

The guy that sold me the trans told me not to worry about the fluid being dark since it had royal purple trans fluid and since it did not smell burnt so I figured he was telling the truth but from now on if its not red I do not buy.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 2nd 2012, 1:48 am

It's getting harder and harder to find this stuff. Even a good used Small Block Chevy that you could get any place cheap a few years ago are getting hard to come by.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 2nd 2012, 5:29 am

I never thought it would be hard to find late 80s parts which I consider late models but that can be blamed on the high scrap prices,I am heading to Harrison tomorrow night to get a part for the fuel system that I broke that I thought I could find around here. I was going to buy a new part but I dont want to spend that much money now that I might have to get a trans built.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas January 2nd 2012, 5:32 am

That's what I thought about Granada Spindles till I started looking and figured out they were being crushed as fast as they could pull them out of the weeds. Seems like yesterday you couldn't turn around without backing into one. lol!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 3rd 2012, 4:01 am

I picked up the broken fuel part tonight and located another tailgate and rear bumper that I have to pick up saturday,the trans shop was closed today so I will be talking with them tomorrow. The more I think about it I want a rebuilt trans since it will be my daily driver for many years.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 5th 2012, 1:32 am

Thinking about going with a manual trans since I have a 3 speed with overdrive that came out of a 87 fullsize van,it looks like the toploader 4 speed so I would have to look for the early 80s mechanical clutch linkage and bellhousing. Talked with the trans shop yesterday and most likely will have the 4x4 trans and the parts trans made into one but might keep a watch out for the clutch parts and go with a manual trans later.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas January 5th 2012, 5:43 am

junkyardjeff wrote:Thinking about going with a manual trans since I have a 3 speed with overdrive that came out of a 87 fullsize van,it looks like the toploader 4 speed so I would have to look for the early 80s mechanical clutch linkage and bellhousing. Talked with the trans shop yesterday and most likely will have the 4x4 trans and the parts trans made into one but might keep a watch out for the clutch parts and go with a manual trans later.

Hey Jeff,
I just have to say, your commitment to indecicion is admireable. Razz lol!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 5th 2012, 2:45 pm

Would love to have one with a manual trans but it would slow down the build a bunch,I need to get the bronco finished soon and start on the 66 F250 so I can have both ready to drive this spring. I dont know if I would call in indecision but have too many ideas running around in my head.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas January 5th 2012, 5:10 pm

I know the feeling. Just came across an 89 Jeep Wagoneer 2-door Laredo. It belongs to a friend that owns a GC business. Eight years ago he had $1,000.00 woth of work done to it and on the way home from the shop the rear end started making a noise so he just backed it in the garage and there it sits. He builds great houses but knows jack crap about working on cars. 125K on the clock and he said he would practically give it to me just to see somebody do something with. I think of what I could do with it then think of all the other stuff I want to do and not sure I even need to go look at it.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 January 5th 2012, 7:03 pm

be careful, took my trans to a guy I found on a certain internet site. (yes I know, that was my first mistake, but the price was right and money is tight) He seemed like a decent guy when I met him. He said he was very busy,(garage was full of transmissions) and it would take at least a week or two to get to my trans. After about two and a half weeks, I hadn't heard anything, so I called. He said he had fallen behind, but would start on my trans. the next week. Another week and no word, so I drive over. The house and garage are empty, not a soul around. Talked to a neighbor who told me the guy had been evicted about two weeks before, and that before he left had cleaned out the garage. Called and what do you know, the cell number no longer worked. So make sure to use a good shop, or at least someone with a good rep.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion - Page 2 Empty Some People Will Take Advantage

Post by Arieldouglas January 5th 2012, 8:08 pm

Re: 1987 full size bronco 2wd conversion
by Chris55 Today at 12:03 pm

.be careful, took my trans to a guy I found on a certain internet site. (yes I know, that was my first mistake, but the price was right and money is tight) He seemed like a decent guy when I met him. He said he was very busy,(garage was full of transmissions) and it would take at least a week or two to get to my trans. After about two and a half weeks, I hadn't heard anything, so I called. He said he had fallen behind, but would start on my trans. the next week. Another week and no word, so I drive over. The house and garage are empty, not a soul around. Talked to a neighbor who told me the guy had been evicted about two weeks before, and that before he left had cleaned out the garage. Called and what do you know, the cell number no longer worked. So make sure to use a good shop, or at least someone with a good rep..

So true but you never know. This kinda happened to me when I built my house.
I was working out of town when the AC units were installed in the house. My wife called and asked about paying them. I told her if everything was working go ahead. The same company had done the AC work on my old house and they had always done good work so that is why I used them.
Anyway they were supposed to use all metal duct and pour concrete pads (not use the preformed ones) and pipe all the condensate drains outside. I had a signed contract for all this. study When I got home a week later and checked it out, they had used duct board and flexduct, preformed pads and just dumped the condesate under the house. Pretty pissed when I called but didn't get an answer. It was late so no biggy I would call them tomorrow. Next day got the answering service and was told they would be calling me back. Took Monday off so I could get it straightened out. Went to the shop and it was locked up tight, nothing to be seen through the windows. Called and the answering service said it was their last day as they had not been payed in two months.
Called the sherriff's dept and they took a report and said they would add it to the others. Never heard from them again! Evil or Very Mad
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas January 5th 2012, 8:15 pm

Hey Admin,
I guess this is in the wrong place. Can you put it where it should be?
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 6th 2012, 12:10 am

I am going to use the shop that built the trans for the 55 to do the bronco trans since I know he does good work plus he is close to the house,this bronco is practice for a nicer one in the future and the next one will get the manual trans.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next