{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project

+42
Truxter Fordly
herb73
oldman
SMOKNZ
rainman
Brownie
Roller Coaster
hotrodaaron77
Admin
Arieldouglas
Chris55
junkyardjeff
falconwagon62
Moparcowboy
Nanook
Crucial
cornfield customs
Z-YOU
Vickers
Hellvis
4x4fab.com
JRiggs
DEMONSPEED
6-71Kid
1/2done
Mr. Fabulous
jbs10
Cratethis
CustomCabby
magicman_1968
puddin head
FalconEddie1964
Blue Eyed Devil
xycho_wraith
junkyard junky
LRS30
fuel10922
Rebel girl
big dogs 42
Lady rebel
RustyKarr
RebStew
46 posters

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project

Post by Blue Eyed Devil February 7th 2009, 2:33 pm

Anywhere near the Boston area?
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Number of posts : 759
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Back to top Go down

Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project

Post by RebStew February 7th 2009, 5:38 pm

Me and this (BEEP) has been into pretty heavy. Pay Pal froze his account and now he seems to be freaking out. I got an email from him this morning. He told me that he would send it out and send me a tracking number no later than Monday. This has been said before so I'm not holding my breath. I'll see how it goes. I thought about telling him I'd drive up and get it but after the words we have had I figured I end up at a closed up shop and no one around. I can't stand all this new age computer tuff guy crap either. Most of these guys hide behind the keyboard acting like Billy Badass. Dives me up a friggin' wall. He says that he owns a hot rod shop and he's been open for 44 years. He sure doesn't act like it..
Thanks for the offer Benny but with what all has been said he may be a little funny now and I wouldn't want anyone to walk in some place and the shit hit the fan over a deal that is mine. I wish I was closer so I could just drop in to scare the shit out of him but that's a long ways. LOL.

Last edited by RebStew on September 21st 2010, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil February 7th 2009, 7:49 pm

Understand what you mean Steve. I hope it works out for the best. However if he does continue to be a pain in your (BEEP) just let me know. I can have the Boston boys pick up your axle for you with no worries about any shit hitting the fan. Wink That's what friends do. Besides, I am sure he would be much less of a "tough guy" in person. Let me know if you need any help whatsoever...
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 7th 2009, 11:11 pm

Blue Eyed Devil wrote: I can have the Boston boys pick up your axle for you with no worries about any shit hitting the fan. Wink That's what friends do. Besides, I am sure he would be much less of a "tough guy" in person. Let me know if you need any help whatsoever...
Thanks Benny. It means alot bro.. Hopefully he will man up and just send it.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 9th 2009, 9:14 am

keep us posted

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 11th 2009, 10:52 pm

Good news! I got the stuff I needed today. Granted I didn't get all of it but at least I got what I wanted. I figured I'd sell the axle or put it in stock. He kept telling me he could not ship it because of the size. I told him to cut it. He sent me the two ends with about 3 or 4 inches of the cut axle. At least I have what I needed most.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 12th 2009, 12:28 am

I broke down the front end for a rebuild. I've never messed with king pins and heard all the horror stories about getting them loose. I guess I got lucky 'cause it was no big deal.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 001-2

You can see where that yahoo cut the axle. What a goof.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 002

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the drum loose but I got it. The scary thing was when I took the cap off it was full of water. I poured it out and took it apart but there was nothing rusted inside. The bearings and spindle all looked bright and shiny. Not sure how they would look good with water sitting on them. The thought came to mind that the guy may have pour the water into the hub and screwed the cap back on but I hope he wouldn't be that dirty. The grease was clean and thick so I guessed it save all the bare metal parts.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 024

Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 027-1

Last edited by RebStew on October 11th 2009, 11:07 am; edited 3 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 12th 2009, 12:34 am

at least u got it

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil February 12th 2009, 1:43 am

RebStew wrote:He kept telling me he could not ship it because of the size.

So how does this jackhole reckon that axles get from place to place? Teleporter? Ugh. Anyhow, glad you got your stuff. Just an FYI - Midwest Early Ford in Springfield is having a one day 10% off sale this Saturday, so if you were thinking about buying brake parts, bearings and such now would be a good time to do it, especially if you were going to be in the neighborhood for the Springfield Swap Meet anyways. This is the first time I have EVER heard of them having a sale!
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 1st 2009, 6:54 am

Some things have changed since I started this project. I wasn't digging the S10 frame so I found a set of fully boxed rails with a sweep in the front. I mounted the cowl and used tubing to brace it.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 008-12

Then I started on the frame work for the body.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 010-14
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 021-13

I sat a block down in it to see where I wanted the front cross member.
I also used the plazma cutter to get rid of those ugly brackets on the rails. See above pic tongue
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 104-1

The stock front cross member was right on but it was a little thin so off it came.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 102-2

Last edited by RebStew on October 17th 2009, 7:36 am; edited 3 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 1st 2009, 7:03 am

Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 110-2
I cleaned up the rails. I was going to use a 2X4 laying flat but I didn't like the look. I flipped it on it's end . It's stronger that way and it will give me another inch or more of a drop with it this way.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 134-4

The sweep messed me up a bit. The frame went up, leveled out and before cross member started back down. This left me with about 4 degrees the wrong way for my perch. I set the 2x4 at 7 degrees but the lean looked funny to me. I set it at 3 and will take the other 4 from my spring perch. Totle of 7 all togther. With the 2x4 laid back some I had to make a pie cut in the bottom and pull it shut.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 137-3
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 138-1
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 139-2
Added a small gusset. Mostly for looks but it will help hold a little. The little hole will get welded shut but for now it's a great spot to ground the plazma or the welder.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 142-2

Last edited by RebStew on October 11th 2009, 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 1st 2009, 7:06 am

I found this for sale on the HAMB. I had to have it.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 S6001494
I'm going to run scooter style fender on the front. Alot of the older rodders used spare tire covers for fenders and I love the beadwork in the early 50's style covers. I snatched this one from the Nash and will be cutting it up.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 030-1

Last edited by RebStew on November 3rd 2009, 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 March 1st 2009, 2:33 pm

Oh man, cutting that up is a shame. It'd look alot better on the back of my Merc. The license plate mount and light that we used on it came from an old Nash like yours. 😢
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 2nd 2009, 6:05 am

I have my front engine mounts almost done. A little more shaping and metal finishing and they will be ready to paint.
Used some paper to get the style I wanted.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 053-5

At least the broken jack came in handy for something.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 055-3
Transfer shape to metal.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 056-3
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 17th 2009, 1:27 am

Alot of grinding
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 107-2
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 001-11

Tossed them on the drill press and shot a few holes through them.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 004-9
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 019-12
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 17th 2009, 1:42 am

Moving on to the front perch. I may not run a grill shell so I wanted the front to be real clean. I welded the perch on then ground the weld down smooth.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 021-14
I don't grind my welds and after I did it I was a little worried about how good the weld is with it ground down. I let it cool and then rewelded it. Fighting with looks verses form and function I still didn't like the look and ground it smooth again. I then went to the inside and put a nice bead all the way around the inside. It's not going any place now.
I added some gussets to it for looks more than strength but I'm sure they help hold some too.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 025-11
I don't like a spring over perch setup because your u bolts is what is holding the weight. I didn't want the perch sitting way up off the cross member either. I thought about it long and hard and figured I'd do the spring over. That will get the front end lower without the tall front perch..
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 17th 2009, 1:51 am

I've been wondering what to do with the a pillars.(windshield)
It looked like it was reaching for the sky. It was tall.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 T1

It took 7" out of the A pillars and dropped the winshield down to give it a smoother flow.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 017-12
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 17th 2009, 7:45 am

After looking at the pics and looking at the car between welding I may pie cut the post and lean them back. The flat windshield doesn't look very ??sweeping. So if I don't change my mind I will lean the A pillars back to let the look flow better.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 23rd 2009, 3:00 pm

3 days ago I headed down to Olive Hill, Ky to hang out with The Carter County Cruisers. John had a S10 rearend in his Chevy and wanted an F body rearend to swap. I needed the S10 and I had some other parts for the club so I loaded up the parts chaser and took off for the day.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 002-11
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 009-14
F body rear
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 011-13
S10 rear end loaded up.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 007-14
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 23rd 2009, 3:12 pm

The next day I went out and bought some perches for the rearend and made a temporary 4" block to lower the rearend. I wanted to get the rear low so I could to start getting the ride height figured out.
With the s10 rearend in place I toss on the cheater slicks too.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 022-11
I got the front end mocked up to see what I had to work with.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 020-12
Templates again were made and that old jack came in handy again.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 024-11
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 027-13
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 025-13
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 23rd 2009, 3:20 pm

Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 026-12
Still have to clean up the holes in this picture but you get the idea.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 031-11
Cleaned the bones and hacked off that front spring hanger.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 030-13
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 033-11
I put one little weld on the bracket and ran out of wire Evil or Very Mad
I'll stop by the store tonight and pick some up and hopefully get the front end on it's wheels soon. Some guys to lower the front end drill holes in the bones and run a hanger mount. I didn't have the cash to buy a set from Speedway so I just made these. I've seen it done like this before. I like the look.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel October 24th 2009, 3:26 pm

Steve was not happy he ran out of wire at such an early time (10pm). Considering he doesn't leave the garage until almost daylight. I told him he needs a 24hr Lowe's. It's coming together wonderfully. It always amazes me to see the work my hubby can do.
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by puddin head October 25th 2009, 6:30 pm

That is SWEET. Was wondering what was going to happen with that cowl after you broke the 12 pack of Dr Pepper. Nice job on the tubes for the body. I look foward to how it shapes up. If you any help let me know. You have a way with sheet metal and fabing that I envy. Smile
puddin head
puddin head
Scrounger

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 25th 2009, 7:13 pm

puddin head wrote:That is SWEET. Was wondering what was going to happen with that cowl after you broke the 12 pack of Dr Pepper. Nice job on the tubes for the body. I look foward to how it shapes up. If you any help let me know. You have a way with sheet metal and fabing that I envy. Smile
I was more worried about my pop being shook up than the cowl but The Dr Peppers were all okay. Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 25th 2009, 7:26 pm

I've been working on the tub almost every day. Some days I get alot done and others it seems I sit more and look trying to get my back straight from bending over welding. I need a lift to get the low spots up to my level. Twisted Evil
Vickers stopped down yesterday and hung out. He started cleaning my garage up from bordom so I handed him the grinder and told him if he's that bored make himself usefull. He worked on the brackets on the right side and got the frame rails smoothed out better. Cut some old sheet metal up and made alot of headway while I was woking on the bones and the front end stuff. It was cool that he came down and worked. A couple of hand on a car gets stuff done pretty fast. Riggs and Scott showed up through the day too. I know some people don't care for it but I'd rather hang out at my garage or someone elses garage and work, goof off or just hang out than do these cars shows some times.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 011-14
The 4X8 sheet of 16 gauge was in my way so getting some of it on the body helped open up my entrance to the garage door again. I had to finish the tubing for the tub first and then start measuring for the skin.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 008-14
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 006-14
Alot of measuring and triming to where you want everything. Then drag out a ton of clamps.
Bread & Butter 27 Ford Project - Page 2 010-17
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next