{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

project Mae Bel

3 posters

Go down

project Mae Bel Empty project Mae Bel

Post by 911TAZZ June 21st 2015, 4:25 am

Took the brake drums off and found that the adjusters are seized on the 64 Belair. Ordered the parts through Advance Auto and they will be here tomorrow morning. All new hardware and adjusters.Hopefully that will make a huge difference. Found a set of Olds rally rims and almost new tires 245 60 14s out back and 235 60 14s up front. $75 bucks. Not a bad deal if I might say so myself. The car's a little quiet for my taste so hoping to put duals on it but I'll at least swap the stock muffler for a thrush glass pack until then. and maybe a carb and intake swap.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

project Mae Bel Empty Re: project Mae Bel

Post by 911TAZZ June 25th 2015, 7:06 am

Well waiting on yet more parts. replaced all the hardware and adjusters and found one of the wheel cylinders is froze. And two of the others are now blown. just going to replace them all and get it over with. Should have done that in the first place.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 20th 2015, 6:30 pm

OK, here's the run down. Two new master cylinders, New wheel cylinders on all four corners, New rubber brake lines, New brake hardware and self adjusters on all four corners, and an embarrassing number of times bleeding down part or the entire braking system. I think we have finally solved the low peddle issue. After sitting and going over and over the brake system in my head I realized something I missed completely. The plunger was out of adjustment and I didn't think to check it when I put either new master cylinder on.
So a simple adjustment later and I was out finally putting some miles on the 64.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 30th 2015, 5:22 am

Been driving the wheels off of the 64. Now I'M hoping to find a radiator before Hoodlums. I shouldn't have expected any less. She's been sitting a while so parts are gonna need replaced. That's the reason for putting miles on them, to work out the bugs.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 July 30th 2015, 4:32 pm

Good Idea....DRIVE it......Post up some pics....Like seeing it as well....
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ August 31st 2015, 1:46 am

The car has been running, but idle was high and it wanted to hesitate and stall. So late last night I used the timing light and adjusted the timing. Wow, it was way out. Then I noticed I had developed a huge fuel leak. Pulled the rubber lines off and pulled the hard line off of the carb. checked the line and found some rust on the flange and threads. Cleaned them up and reinstalled everything. No more leaks. It was still idling high and the carb was overloading, so I adjusted the carb and now she's running like she should. The poor old girl still doesn't have enough power to break the tires, but at least she's not coughing and stalling on me. Update pics are coming soon. I still need to replace the radiator, but she's good for short trips so I drive her to work daily.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew September 1st 2015, 3:45 am

Good deal
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ September 10th 2015, 7:45 pm

Ouch!!! Went to back out of my driveway, put the car in reverse and I hear. Clang and the car shudders. get out start checking things, and no clue what was going on. So I had momma come out and help me. She puts the car in reverse and I figure it out real quick. Broken motor mount, and the clanging was the fan hitting the shroud which I just happen to be leaning on. So now I'm replacing both engine mounts and the trans mount. Plus I still need to replace the radiator. Just another day in the life of a gear head. LOL
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew September 10th 2015, 9:21 pm

Always something.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ September 12th 2015, 7:32 pm

You got that right. But I wouldn't trade my love for old iron for almost anything. I love bringing them back to life.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down