{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project

+5
EdgeGT
pepboys speedshop
extenzegrl
Marty042
Reb Stew
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project Empty Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project

Post by Reb Stew January 27th 2014, 3:22 pm

This thread has been edited from the car show page due to needing a thread to bounce ideas off each other. We need all members and non member who want to help out to join in on the conversation so we can make a great day of racing and car shows.

The event will be April 5th 2014

Last edited by Reb Stew on February 4th 2014, 2:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project Empty Re: Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project

Post by Reb Stew January 29th 2014, 10:20 pm

In order to make this happen on a grand scale the club got involved with this. I set up Gary with Debbie Manning and Heather will be helping out getting the ball rolling. Heather and myself will be meeting with a crew of people this Saturday to make sure we can have the best track day we can. This has turned into a race, slash car show for the day.

The club is helping out in a middle man and a voice only. We will not be working the show or the track. Gary has all that covered. We are here mainly for support and to do what we do best. Make it happen in a huge way! Debbie and Gary have a huge part in this so if we can take the burden of getting the word out and making a showing will help in a big way. I'm going to try my best to have a car hit the track that day. We will see. It's not a lot of time so if you are going to race, get your car ready. I'd like to see the Scroungers CC Cin-Tucky Chapter make this a club run for the day. It would really be nice to see other chapter there that day but I know it's a long drive.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project Empty Re: Scroungers C.C./Thornhill Dragstrip Project

Post by Marty042 January 29th 2014, 10:46 pm

I'm in. Like the idea of making it a club run. If we have as many people there as we did back in the summer. That would start the year off right.
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl January 30th 2014, 1:42 am

Agree Marty...
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop January 30th 2014, 3:45 pm

reb, are you going to meet with Gary saturday at the lube?

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl January 30th 2014, 4:00 pm

Yes He and I are... are you?
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop January 30th 2014, 5:03 pm

yes I am

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 30th 2014, 5:28 pm

Well all I can say is the meeting was crazy. 3 promoters, 3 Scroungers, Debby Manning, Gary the track owner and a guy that calls himself Rick Flare the wrestler. Rick is really one of the Nash's, nice guy.

The meeting started out okay but become engulfed in a pissing match hidden behind curtain of smiles and loudness. Everyone know how I am. I don't like drama. We listen to everyone and explained what we could do to help but as the meeting went on I wasn't sure I wanted to get involved with what I was hearing. How bad was it? I have done this long enough that I could see it was a ship sinking before in left the dock. I never said bye to everyone. I told Gary thanks and shook his hand and told Randy and Heather I was leaving and walked out before the meeting was over. I felt sorry for Gary, the track owner. What seemed like something that was a great idea now seemed to be run by some that really didn't see eye to eye with what the club thinks or the track owner. From what I was told it got a little more strange as the meeting went on.

Last edited by Reb Stew on February 4th 2014, 2:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl January 30th 2014, 6:24 pm

that is just the tip of the iceberg... hang around there is no mercy
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 30th 2014, 7:16 pm

After the meeting I wasn't going to have the club help. We don't half do things. Having someone else call shots but have our car club name on it wasn't going to happen. Also the one calling the shots being from another car club that for some reason doesn't seem to like the Scroungers Car Club wasn't going to work either.

Next phone call I get was someone telling me that the meeting we had was not what they wanted and they were putting their foot down. They wanted us to take care of the car show part, advertising, posters, flyers and more. Free to do what we do best without and outside source stepping on our toes. We speak up to no one other than Gary the track owner. Which is the way it should be.

I can tell you that it wasn't pretty to watch some people thrown off the ship to save the ship from sinking but it had to be done.

Last edited by Reb Stew on February 4th 2014, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 3rd 2014, 6:19 am

Alright guys. Change of plans.The club is going to jump in feet first with this drag race/cruise in. We may need to have a meeting on this to see where everyone stands but as of right now it looks like we may need some help getting this done. Are there any club members willing to put in some time to help?

This may turn into a work project like the Newport Car Show was. We will need members to help promote the show, Pass out flyers and go to different police station to talk to them about it and so on.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 3rd 2014, 6:19 am

We also need some artwork done in a very bad way!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT February 3rd 2014, 9:23 am

It sure wont be pretty but ill try my best to get the monte out there. Hope to have it driving by then. Any test and tune that night? And if we can get some flyers made up i can defiantly spread them. Plus i work 10 mins from the track so a lot of them would go as well.
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2013-03-23

https://www.facebook.com/david.hillii.16

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 February 3rd 2014, 1:13 pm

Let me know what I can do.
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ February 3rd 2014, 1:42 pm

I'll see what my son can come up with in the artwork dept. And i have some connections with several police departments on this side of the river.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop February 3rd 2014, 2:26 pm

Reb Email anything you need flyer wise to me and I can print unlimited numbers of copies
I am currently working to secure Pepboys as sponsor of the track this year.
My marketing department meets wednesday and I will have it completed by the next week or so

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 3rd 2014, 2:33 pm

Thanks guys.

Eric that would be great.

There are some things I'd like to talk to everyone about but don't want it on the open forum. We may have a meeting soon, just a small sit down.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop February 3rd 2014, 2:48 pm

Wednesdays are my week day off and Sundays are my weekend day off
you can always call the store too if you like

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl February 3rd 2014, 9:24 pm

Yes Steve we do need to get the "Stanley's" together.....
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 3rd 2014, 11:22 pm

Alright guys. Here's the deal. We are doing the cruise in part of the day for the track. We need to come up with a cool name for the show. Throw me some ideas. Remember that Thornhill Drag Strip needs to be in the title. Something witty. It's a cruise in and drag race event. Any ideas? I need help.

Last edited by Reb Stew on February 4th 2014, 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop February 3rd 2014, 11:26 pm

Reb a cool note ; Thornhill use to be a runway for boot leggers, maybe tie than in somehow?

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop February 3rd 2014, 11:27 pm

how about: run for the "hill"?

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 3rd 2014, 11:41 pm

One thing I thought about was this is really early for car stuff. Could be some still have their cars put up from winter time. Maybe something stating it's the first bash of summer.???
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 3rd 2014, 11:45 pm

Come on guys keep the idea coming. It doesn't have to be words of the year. Just something simple and to the point.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 4th 2014, 12:48 am

Marty042 wrote:You think there's anyway to get the local news involved with a mention. Maybe a small spot. For the cruise in. Just a thought. Good cause. Maybe a place to donate if people who dont go to car shows. Bouncing ideas!
This is what I need. Good ideas to get the show going in the right direction.

Once we have the flyers done Debby Manning will be talking to the news people for us. We just need to get a flyer started sometime this week.

I'm open for ideas about donations. As it sits right now the money will be going to buy ONE vest for a local PD K9 . We had a connection with a company that does this for all the police stations but the way they work didn't fit in with what we wanted. It was a first come first serve to get them. You had to be on a list. We want the vest for local use. Depending on how all this goes we may be able to buy more but that is up to Gary the owner of Thornhill.

The overhead for running the track is through the roof and legal issues for keeping the track open is upon us. They are trying to shut the track down. After this Race/Show is over we will talk to Gary about doing a car show/swap meet for the track that will help pay some of the legal fees he's going through just to keep the track open for us. It's not cheap and this is an up hill battle that he needs help with. I wasn't going to put any of this on the open forum but non members would know nothing about it if I didn't say anything. This is not something to take light. If they close Thornhill down it will be the close of the oldest working track in the United States. What is more scary is it sets it up for other people to go after other tracks if Gary looses. They can use this case for the noise to shut down Tri State and other tracks around here. This is not just a battle for Thornhill it's everyones battle. Sitting idle and not doing anything is like watching Hitler himself walk in to the Jews house and tell them everything will be fine. Our hobby is getting taken away from us a little more each year. It's time to do something and not sit idle and watch it all fade away.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next