{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe

+9
911TAZZ
JRiggs
frmula505
falconwagon62
TAHOE
SMOKNZ
Arieldouglas
Reb Stew
Nanook
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Empty Re: Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe

Post by frmula505 September 16th 2014, 12:08 am

Well I only have a few picture from my facebook page, I am in Panama working for the next week.
Well the 69 is a coupe. Has a built 350 4 bolt main, World research heads, competition cam, roller rockers, hi rise, and a 750 Holley. Running a Tremek 5 speed. Not terribly fast for todays standards, but it will do.
Only picture I found was a shot of car before I bought it (Michigan plates)

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 69vette

The second is an 05 vert. Candy Tangerine. Procharged with all the fixins. Runs low 12's on street tires (at over 5000'). Dynoed at 540hp and 507 torqe (I think it's been a few years)
Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Q2PfBV
frmula505
frmula505
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-12-22

Back to top Go down

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Empty Re: Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe

Post by JRiggs September 16th 2014, 5:22 am

Lee what intake was on it for the carb set up and which carb was they attempting to use
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook September 16th 2014, 5:39 am

JRiggs wrote:Lee what intake was on it for the carb set up and which carb was they attempting to use

They had a Weiand intake. No idea what the carb was as it was long gone by the time I bought the car.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE September 16th 2014, 3:39 pm

Nice progress.
Where did the LO5 come from again?

Tell that sorry Wayne to get over there and get the motor pulled HAHAHA
I know he's helped you tremendously on black betty!

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook September 16th 2014, 4:39 pm

TAHOE wrote:Nice progress.
Where did the LO5 come from again?

Tell that sorry Wayne to get over there and get the motor pulled HAHAHA
I know he's helped you tremendously on black betty!

Yeah, Wayne has been a huge HUGE help and I've learned a great deal more working with him. The tentative plan is to pull the motor on Sunday afternoon after church. Then I can look it over, disassemble it and then roll the 'vette outside to pressure wash it.

The L05 came from a good friend of my uncle Danny. It was in a '92 GMC stepside. Untouched and unmolested...just lots of miles. The A/C even worked! I got it for $400 but sold off all of the brackets and accessories on CL for $50 to a guy who needed it all for his Caprice. I scrapped the TBI and intake.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 4:00 am

Updating the last few weeks...

My buddy Wayne and I pulled the busted motor. What we found was astounding. It had a brand-new LUK clutch (I just saved $190!!!), brand new lightweight pushrods, the motor was punched .060 over with new pistons and the cranked was turned .010 and it, along with the block, had the oiling holes chamfered. Plus it had been coated with Glyptal. So, someone had a solid game plan and spent some serious cha-ching to lay down a good base. And then it all went to pot. No They re-used the factory L98 cam and lifters along with the old timing chain and gears and old oil pump. They scorched the main bearings and then, after that happened, we figured they pushed it aside in the barn with water only in the block. That shattered the block at first freeze. We also discovered that although this was a roller block it was NOT the orginal L98 block. Thankfully they had re-installed the very desirable Corvette-specific #0113 aluminum heads. These are the same as what is found on the ZZ4 motor.

Anyhow, the crank had a small rust spot on the #4 journal and since it was already .010 over we (sadly) could not save it. However we did salvage the rods/pistons and I got $50 for 'em. So that helped the budget and helped a fellow gearheads from Williamsburg, Ohio. cheers Here's the first update.

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette008_zpsc87cc3e1

The block had 10 quarts of oil and water in it...UGH!

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette011_zps34e317e9

No good...

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette012_zps4d673675

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette022_zps14be9ddc

Chocolate milkiness

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette005_zpsf56ba28d

No more busted motor!

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette013_zps3ffcae7d

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 4:19 am

Next up I rolled her outside the following weekend for a pressure wash and to take stock of the interior. The car has some funky half-arsed undercoating in the wheel wheels and underhood surfaces. ODD. Shocked Anyhow, it was not too terribly gunky and it cleaned up fine with no degreaser needed. So, here we are...

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette002_zps35f8133f

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette003_zps973e6f2e

Thomas helped out too! He aimed and I moved the wand left to right. Good times with my son. Very Happy

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette004_zpsa70638f4

I then turned my attention to the interior and ridding the 'vette of the nasty mouse feces and nests. It DID stink like a hamster cage left alone for a year. UGH. Anyhow, they had mounted the car alarm in the rear hatch area. What a mess!

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvetteinterior008_zps9fe347d3

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 021_zpsac05dbda

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 022_zpseaa56f69

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 4:30 am

So, last week I started by removing the rear hatch area carpet and what was left of the sound deadener. It was soooooooo bad I had to back off of the car three separate times...once with my eyes tearing up. Unreal. Cars in barns=BAD IDEA. Anyhow, I got it all removed and then proceeded to take the front carpet sections out as well. I then pressure washed them and went over them with my hand-held steam cleaner. They came out pretty good for being 26 years old and with 92K miles of use on them. Plus all of the mice pee smells are all gone now. I will still hit them with a quality pet odor remover just to be 100% sure.

On with the show!

This nest (one of two in the car) went all of the way into the back of the wheel well. affraid

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvetteinterior002_zpsec8b369a

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvetteinterior011_zps1e801464

Door jambs before cleaning...

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvetteinterior003_zps87941c97

Mouse house #2 behind the radio/HVAC/console. Amazingly the little buggers did not do ANY damage to the wiring in the car. VERY thankful for their discriminant tastes!

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette018_zps03369df4

Drivers side floor...

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette019_zps961d9875

Passenger side floor..

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette020_zpsbd7eb197

More to come..

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 4:39 am

And here we are as she sits today. Carpets are all cleaned up and the inside floors and hatch areas have been pressure washed and then wiped down with a bleach/water mix. The smell is still there some though. Part of this is from the roll-up security cover in need of removal and replacement due to pee smell. I'll also go over the car again with a bleach-only wipe-down once I remove the console and parts of the dash support. I did get the radio/HVAC and instruments removed for cleaning as well. The digital dash looks to need some love. That's $320 for a full-on rebuild/update. So, that is the next thing I am saving up for.

So, here we are...

Cleaned rear hatch area carpets...

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette015_zps728fbb3b

Floor and hatch side carpets...

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Corvette029_zps7389c2da

More tomfoolery...looks like this was some kind of cell phone mount and they kept drilling into the tranny tunnel. Some people should never be allowed near tools let alone repair a car. UGH.

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 023_zps87eb7705

Here is what happens when you jack up a C4 Corvette by the 'pans...I-D-I-O-T-S. Both pans are damaged. Evil or Very Mad

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 025_zps92832eeb

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 026_zpsa744b1ab

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 4:46 am

Finally a few pics of the dash. The mice left the wiring alone. The prior owner(s) did not however and jacked up some of the fuse block to (I assume) disable the VATS, fuel injection and who know what else. This will be a simple repair though as they yanked instead of cut...and I have the factory service manuals. Wink

Next update when I have some more done! The remaining parts came this week...radiator, hoses, water pump, damper and lifters. cheers Wrapping up the motor is next to do before it gets too cold out. I also need to swap the 'vette oil pan on and paint it as well.

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 033_zps15001270

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 034_zps35dae5ef

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 035_zps1aab44d7

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 037_zpsc1e7ae07

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ October 1st 2014, 5:37 am

Nice work Lee! Before you know it she'll be burning up the asphalt!
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 6:30 am

911TAZZ wrote:Nice work Lee! Before you know it she'll be burning up the asphalt!

I hope so! If all works out as I hope/plan I'd like to turn the key come November/December. I still need to get the interior cleaned up and back in (at least the instruments) and go thru the brakes for sure. I'd also like to change the tranny fluids (this has an O/D unit) as well as the rearend gear oil.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis October 1st 2014, 6:44 am

Makin some good headway!!
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 3:44 pm

Cratethis wrote:Makin some good headway!!

Thanks! It's a load of work for sure but it will be worth it. Very Happy

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE October 1st 2014, 6:37 pm

I had a hard time seeing those last interior pics, the reflection off those pale white legs was horrible BAWAHAHAHAHAHA

Sure is coming along nicely! Wished I could make that much headway on a couple of my tractors.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 1st 2014, 9:41 pm

Yeah, winter legs in the summer...only on an Eskimo, Marty! Laughing Laughing Laughing It was LOADS of fun getting in and out with no seat there. The BIG no-no getting out of C4s is no grabbing/pulling on the steering wheel as it busts up the column internals. Plus my wheel is just sitting the shaft so it will pop right off. Shocked

It's moving along fairly well. I'm trying to get some of this stuff done while the weather is in my favor (warmish, no rain and sunshine for the paint work and interior cleaning). Everything else I can get done in the winter. I'd like to have the motor in by then end of October. Once that is in place then it gets pretty academic and can be done with just a heater in the garage to take the nip off on the cold days. If all works out well I hope to twist the keys by sometime in November. cheers

I hope you can get some time on your tractors soon, buddy. You really got a knack for them suckers.

later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE October 2nd 2014, 4:19 pm

Yea, the steering wheel thingy was a bad issue with my '87 K5 blazer too with tilt. Having it lifted, it was a bad habit grabbing wheel, I had to have that column torn apart twice and tightened up.

Once of these days I will get to my tractors, gotta get that bedroom built first so we can actually move.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 2nd 2014, 4:27 pm

TAHOE wrote:Yea, the steering wheel thingy was a bad issue with my '87 K5 blazer too with tilt. Having it lifted, it was a bad habit grabbing wheel, I had to have that column torn apart twice and tightened up.

Once of these days I will get to my tractors, gotta get that bedroom built first so we can actually move.

That era of GM tilt columns is notorious for issues...and yanking on them makes it worse. Even dangerous. The ones in the 'vette and in Shelly's TA are pretty tight actually. We just try to be as careful as we can with them.

Once you get moved in I hope you can get some good time in on the tractors. I have our Craftsman sold tonight and am buying a good friend's 40" Murray for what I am selling my old Craftsman. cheers

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE October 2nd 2014, 6:37 pm

Nanook wrote:

I have our Craftsman sold tonight and am buying a good friend's 40" Murray for what I am selling my old Craftsman.  cheers  

Later,

Lee

Bascially the same thing lol!

Actually Craftsman of your era was made by AYP company, MTD made Murray

I will get back on them someday, sucks having to move 4-5 tractors that do not run and are in parts Sad

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 2nd 2014, 8:10 pm

Yeah, I knew the Craftsman was an MTD-based rig. The Murray is FAR newer and runs/drives better. Just need better tires out back for my hills. Wink

Keep the faith on your tractors. Your time will come. Need to get another Camaro though, dude. Cool

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE October 3rd 2014, 3:51 pm

Nanook wrote:Yeah, I knew the Craftsman was an MTD-based rig.  The Murray is FAR newer and runs/drives better.  Just need better tires out back for my hills. Wink  

Keep the faith on your tractors.  Your time will come.  Need to get another Camaro though, dude.  Cool

Later,

Lee

No Sir--- The Murray is MTD, the Craftsman was made by American Yard Product, which is now owned by husqvarna and only make selected models for Sears.
Sounds like it maybe a better tractor so it's all good!

Not sure about another camaro. I have my mind on one specific F-body if I get back in that game, but he still won't let it lose just yet.
My neighbor has a beautiful 1970 442 for sale right now, I just don't have $15K to drop on a toy...and you know me and 70-72 Cutlass's
I still have a short bed 85 pickup that I haven't started in 1 1/2 yrs. Wayne rebuilt the carb, I got it to fire and that was that. Rusting away in the back yard.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 3rd 2014, 6:20 pm

Oops my bad on the mowers. I'll post up a pic and the specifications. It's in nice shape and the motor was rebuild just two or three years ago. Plus Dennis added a nice light to go with the headlights and it's been taken good care of. The guy who bought the Craftsman was pretty happy. Also sold that White 800 chipper/shredder for $100 (more Corvette money!). It had sat since 2012 but ran fine when parked. Guy came from Pikeville to buy it.

I know about the F-body...and I hope you get it. Wink That would be a sweet score and I'll admit a bit of envy. It would be nice to see you get the '85 truck running and driving.

That Cutlass would be sweet but that's money a working stiff like you and I doesn't have.

Later,

Lee

P.S. I rolled the 'vette back in last night and I'll be painting/cleaning in the engine bay and sorting the wires a bit before we drop the L05 in.
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 6th 2014, 6:35 pm

Got the console removed and wiped the transmission tunnel, lower dash, under/behind where the radio/HVAC stuff goes and in the air vent areas. It's all wiped down with straight bleach now and is just about smelling as good as a 26 year old car can be LOL! Laughing

Also removed the ECM and ordered my chip and adapter.

Later,

Lee

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Noconsole1_zps91f91b31

Project HI OFCR: 1988 Corvette coupe - Page 2 Noconsole2_zps60a53f21

Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ October 6th 2014, 8:38 pm

Nice, keep plugging away Lee it's looking like progress is being made daily.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 6th 2014, 9:49 pm

911TAZZ wrote:Nice, keep plugging away Lee it's looking like progress is being made daily.

Thanks! It's coming together but it just takes some time. I won't really be able to mess with it much until the 18th. I am hoping to get the cam, valvetrain and timing set in place then. If things work out we'll see about dropping the engine in on the 25th. From here I can basically start putting the interior back together. The seat tracks need to be washed and painted. The carpet is ready to be reinstalled and what's left is to wash/clean the console, speaker covers and radio/HVAC controls and then install the rear speakers so that the hatch area is buttoned up.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next