{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

+14
FalconEddie1964
junkyardjeff
Mr. Fabulous
Lady rebel
Admin
fuel10922
6-71Kid
RustyKarr
Striping Stew 54
LRS30
40standard
chev_hotrod
JRiggs
RebStew
18 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Empty Re: 1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

Post by RebStew April 5th 2008, 5:00 am

I have a sand blasting pot and used it some for blasting my aluminum stuff I'm going to run on the engine. It made a mess you wouldn't believe. Today Steve Vickers and I went to the store and I bought a sand blasting cabinet. I spent the night blasting my intake, offy spacers and my finned valve covers. It was a lot less messy. I also bit the bullet this morning and blew over 500 bucks for two new carbs. Jegs said they would be here Saturday. If they are they will be on the car Saturday night.
Riggs what do you want for that 47 Chevy breather top??
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Empty Re: 1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

Post by RustyKarr April 5th 2008, 7:39 am

We the people, We the people...

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 5th 2008, 4:06 pm

RustyKarr wrote:We the people, We the people...
lol Laughing no, I bit the bullet and used my debit card. so it came out of my checking.
Sorry guys. Inside joke. While Chad, Vickers and I was out the other day I was trying to buy Vickers Old Plymouth. I dug through my pockets showing Vickers what I'd give him, when he turned me down I pulled out the credit cards(We the people) on one of the cards. He still turned me down. lol.. I've been working on Vickers though. I may end up with that old mopar.

Last edited by RebStew on April 9th 2008, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 5th 2008, 4:14 pm

Striping Stew 54 wrote:that shopforman really is worken hard or is he hardly worken Sleep
my shop forman is MIA. If you see him tell him he has work to do.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs April 5th 2008, 5:19 pm

i seen the shop foreman got him a nice new bike. just think before you know it it will be stripped of paint and painted a different color. lol
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs April 5th 2008, 5:30 pm

will the stewart mini van seen the road tonight?
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 9th 2008, 7:41 am

JRiggs wrote:will the stewart mini van seen the road tonight?
I'm shooting for a cruise this weekend.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 9th 2008, 7:53 am

There has been a lot of conflict through out the hot rod world as well as in this club when it comes to "purist and or traditionalist". I wanted to fill you in on where I stand. I love the traditaional style BUT I would rather have the up to date stuff for safety, speed and for the reliability. So you can keep your model A rearend, hard manual brakes, bias tires, blown flatheads or souped up nailhead that may run 16 in the 1/4. My idea with the 34 is to give it the old traditional look but with modern gears. I'm sure the traditionalist will pick it apart but to the untrained eye the car will look like it was built back in the day.
The engine recieved a few tricks to try to fool people at a glance. what seems to be a 283 is a well built 350 4 bolt main.

Last edited by RebStew on April 9th 2008, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 9th 2008, 8:01 am

The carbs came in today. I bolted down the shaved Offy intake. I had to do some filing work on the bottom of the Offy 2" spacers to make them flush again. I guess time had taken its toll on them for trueness. I bolted on the carbs. trying to stay with the old look I pulled the ribbits out and took the Elderbrock tag off both carbs. I will use a mist bottle with some sulfuric acid and shoot it on the chrome finish of the carbs to dull the chrome. With the finish dulled and the Edelbrock tag off it should look like an old Carter or Weber from back in the day.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1352
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1357
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 9th 2008, 8:13 am

Today Ronnie and I went over to the Hot Rod Shop and bought some red fuel line for the 34. I always liked the looks of the red line and it is traditional! Laughing I left there and stopped at Lowes to get a brass T fitting for the fuel line. While I was walking around the store I got to thinking about some things and I found myself over digging through the copper. I thought to myself what would my dad run back in the day on a dual carb intake? Copper! If you dig through some real old hotrod books you can see they use copper a lot. I even noticed it on Stan car when I was down there. I bought some 3/8 copper line a copper T and headed home wondering if I could solder it without getting any leaks?? I grabbed my bender and started turning the line when a club member pulled up in his work van. Vickers Plumbing!! Within a few minutes Steve Vickers had it fixed and looking good. I still used the red line to hold it on. I also use the old style clamps for the right look.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1354

Last edited by RebStew on April 9th 2008, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 9th 2008, 8:20 am

On to the dizzy. You have to run a points type dizzy with the intake I'm using. A HEI is too big and hits the back of the carb. I'm not one for running points. I like the spark of an HEI. Here's a trick for you blower and tunnel ram guys. Use a dizzy from a late model with tune port. It is a compact size HEI . Same size and almost the same looks as a point unit. I slid this in and before I came in tonight I put a new rotor button and cap on it. It's a tight fit but it fits!
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1365
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 9th 2008, 8:34 am

To aid in the fake 283 look, a short water pump, harmonic balancer, and pulley set up off a 283 was used. I wanted a checkerboard finish somewhere, another traditional fad, but I didn't want to do the grill or firewall. To make it simple I did the upper pulley. Also you can see the shaved heads. They should "have humps" cut into the castings but I didn't care to go that crazy. No generator on this ride I want to have thumpin' tunes. It's hard to see in the pics but the late model altenator was painted flat black and is tucked down next to the frame out of major view. It rides on custom brackets that uses the two lowest bolt holes in the block.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1366
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid April 9th 2008, 1:30 pm

I know on those edelbrock carbs if you look close enough you can still find the weber casting marks in the side of them.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918

Back to top Go down

Post by fuel10922 April 9th 2008, 5:05 pm

I dig the fuel line, glad you got some inspiration from the coupe! Its way cool to see something fabricated versus store bought 1-800 stuff.
fuel10922
fuel10922
Master mechanic

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin April 9th 2008, 5:21 pm

fuel10922 wrote:I dig the fuel line, glad you got some inspiration from the coupe! Its way cool to see something fabricated versus store bought 1-800 stuff.
Thanks Stan, I get funny about some things. I could have had it running last night if I would have just slapped it together but I will spend the next two days doing little things to it to try to make it look like it has some style.
Steve
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 April 10th 2008, 2:34 am

You can convert your point's ignition to a electronic with a set up from Pertronix keeping the point's style look as well if you cannot find a Small HEI... Just throwing it out there.. The kit cost around $130 buck's last time I bought one....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr April 10th 2008, 4:37 am

I went to go do a tune up on the old 55 and it has a Pertronix electronic pickup in it. I use to get them in for customers at Motors. Heard nothing but good things about their product. George Hust on Spring Grove Avenue has them in stock usually.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 April 10th 2008, 2:04 pm

Hust is where I get most of my stuff like that, diode's for converting Alternator's (3 to one wire, or is it to 12 wire not sure) Pertronix kit's they usually have it and don't look at you like you have 4 heads because it doe's not come up in there Computer...."What you's needz a short water pump for a 59 Chebby 283 and your putting into a 30 Ford Model what.. rrr'z computer only goez back to 84 I guess we don't have it but we do have theze really cool crown air's fresenerz to keep the 5 0 off yer azz when your tokin' on your philly blunt yo" (These comments are not endorsed by the SCROUNGER'S C.C. as a whole, Just an azz hole!)
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 11th 2008, 5:35 am

I didn't get as much done yesterday as I wanted to. I finished a few small things on the engine and then started on my headers. This is what I started with.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1376

I spent about 3 hours on one stinkin' header. I had to cut off an inch and a half where it was screwed up. then through 3 drills and 4 hole saws before I cut through the pipe(riminder..BUY SOME GOOD HOLE SAWS!)I then welded the collector flange to the header and it will be capped unless I'm at the track or just wanting to get a ticket and the hole was filled with a collector to route the pipe down to the muffler.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1372

Amy stopped in to see how I was doing. for some reason she likes taking picture when I'm dirty.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 3 Picture1370

I was hoping to fire it up tonight but something came up and I didn't get any work done on it today. Still shooting for a weekend cruise if it's not raining.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 April 11th 2008, 1:31 pm

LOOKING GOOD! Hey did you guy's go to PRO's PICK's On DIXIE HWY???? I just talked to Gary there yesterday, he told me he is closing up shop, and just is going to focus on build's... I guess that mean's were down to one shop now.. Northern KY Street Rod's and Muscle CArs out here on Limaburg Rd. you guys know the place.. The one where they are never there and his daughter that work's the counter always say's well you can just call him and he will place the order when he get's back..Atleast she's cute! Back to mail order, paying shipping and waiting a few days to get our stuff...
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod April 11th 2008, 2:49 pm

yea gary told me and steve he would be outta there by the end of the month he told us thr same was gonna build em that sucks we need some lil shops like that around . 🐘
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Number of posts : 462

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs April 11th 2008, 3:24 pm

stewart come get that breather that u want tomorrow i should be in the garage. $10.00 bucks and its yours.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod April 11th 2008, 4:31 pm

looking good bro headers are sweet
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Number of posts : 462

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel April 11th 2008, 7:52 pm

I took a picture of Steve climbing over the motor. I'm sure he'll post it later..
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous April 11th 2008, 8:33 pm

chev_hotrod wrote:looking good bro headers are sweet

Yeah, it looks good, but will it light a fire????
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next