{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

+14
FalconEddie1964
junkyardjeff
Mr. Fabulous
Lady rebel
Admin
fuel10922
6-71Kid
RustyKarr
Striping Stew 54
LRS30
40standard
chev_hotrod
JRiggs
RebStew
18 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Empty 1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 10:51 am

I've been looking for something older for my daily driver. the 61 was ok but it just wasn't my style.
I wanted an A but the Dodge is close enough for me..plus it's a 4 door so the kids can get in and out
easy. I may have had second thoughts about trading the 61 for this but on the way up there I
jack knifed the dolly fenders into the fender and front belly pan and messed up the Bel Air.
so here's what I come back with.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2096
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2088
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2087
I hope this will be the last time it's ever on a trailer, tow truck or a dolly
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2082
over a 3 hour drive in a truck with 411's in the rear is a pain
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Empty Re: 1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 10:54 am

I found a bad oil leak. both new chrome valve covers were pouring. I think the heads have been milled and the lip was hitting the intake and not letting it seal. I found an old set of late 60's stock valve covers that someone had chromed. I forgot I had 'em. I yanked the new one off and slipped these on while Tim held the flashlight. I think they fits the time line of the car better. with the oil leak fixed it was time for me, tim, ben and dennis to take a spin. it was funny to watch the cops faces when we come down the main street and through the riverfront with open headers and the cam loping . lol
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2100
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2102
yes dear you can drive it when I get the bugs worked out of it
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 10:55 am

ok..decals are on.. it's done!!
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2110
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2109
put some elbows on it and some header bombs turn backwards. it is not as loud now.I will run a bong off off the header bomb and run some mufflers under the back of the car. when I want to make it loud just pop off the caps bolted to the backward collector on the muff/
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 10:56 am

Saturday I stop by a car show in Cold Springs, Ky. I found a nice 34 Dodge there. after
looking at the cars firewall I knew I had to see why all the bondo was on mine. if you look
at mine they smoothed it all out on top. it covers up all the seams and a few cool body lines.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2125
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2124
I started sanding but the mud was so thick it wouldn't cut it. out came the stone grinder just
to see how thick it was. the whole thing is covered with mud from a small skim coat to 1/4
and 1/2" in some spots. the best way I could figure out how to get the mud off was with
a hammer and a screw driver.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2131
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 10:57 am

After getting most off the mud busted out I can't understand why anyone would put all that on there. who ever did this is not who did the chop. it may have been the yahoo's that I got the car from. there are a few low spots and someone welded a few spots on the factory seams and screwed em up but it isn't that bad. Not bad at all. I am going to leave all the seams showing as well as a couple small body lines that were covered. only reason I can figure out why they mudded it all up is that maybe the rain was coming through the seams. Wwith a little dolly work and some seam sealer through the inside I think it will be fine. I like the idea of all the seams showing. They wouldn't have leaded or mudded up the firewall seams in a 40's or 50's hot rod.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2132
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2135
I was also pleased to find some more info on the cars past. The factory color was black. What I thought was cool was what I found stuck between to layers of mud. they must have missed a spot of the paint when they sanded it to slap in the mud. Someone years ago painted this car a deep metallic blue. there must have been some wax on the paint they missed because I was able to pull the paint chip off the bondo. It was a cool color. Maybe whoever frenched in an antenna painted the car blue once.?
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2134
I'm starting to like this old car a lot. she may be a keeper. I wanted to say thanks to Jonathan Riggs for turning me on to it. he sent me the link and now I'm back in the garage getting lung cancer from bondo dust Very Happy

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 10:59 am

I will get to the tailights soon. have to figure out what I want on her. I have some 41 chevy's but I'm not sure if I will run 'em. like to find some WWII airplane red marker lights. anyone have a set Question
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:00 am

15X6 rims before my shop forman cleaned "em up to be painted.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2137
hard at work
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2138
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2140
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:00 am

grinding of the walls
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2143
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2142
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:01 am

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2148
Aug. 19, 2007. Corey and I as we leave the Hofbraus House car show in Newport. Ft. Thomas, Ky Corvette Club put it on. funny how rich people look at a hot rod in the works and without paint on it. Very Happy
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Newportweekend018
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:02 am

I'm running a tach and vacuum gauge on the outside of the firewall. they did this back in the day to adjust the carbs. I will be using them for the same reason. this is my first gauge I've found that fits the time frame of when I'd like the car to be built. Well the first one I've won the bid on anyway. It's an old Marsh vacuum gauge. They made these from 1940 to the mid 60's. With the looks of the needle I'm thinking and hoping it's closer to the 40's. Now if it only works when I get it.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van 4d90_1_b

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:03 am

worked on the cowl a little bit today. also cut holes out in the firewall for my tach and vacuum gauge. found out that the radiator was patched up when it started leaking water all over the floor so out came the grille shell and radiator to fix it. I may end up putting a late model radiator in it for the time being. I also cut the bottom off the grille shell to give it more of a ford look.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:03 am

my stock radiator is shot. I replaced it with a late model until I can get it fixed or a new one. while I had the grille shell off I went ahead and made some new grille support bars. these are what the car hads on it.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2124-1
square tubing with a bolt weld to the end of it. who ever made these need to be hit with 'em!
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2189
I bought some metal rods and tried to thread them. Evil or Very Mad it didn't work very well. that and they looked to small. so next trip to the store I picked up some threaded rods and some 3/8 fuel line.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2187
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:04 am

I got out the tape measure and figured out where I needed the bends. cut the ends off the fuel line. cut the threaded rod to size. shoved the fuel line over the threaded rod and made my bends to mach the body and grille
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2187a
I could have just used the threaded rod but I wanted it to look somewhat stock. out come the mig and I welded and ground the ends where the rod comes out of the fuel line. tossed on some paint so it wouldn't rust.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2187c
these will be primed and painted black when I get the cowl work done.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van HPIM2188c
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:06 am

my new ebay score. old Offy tach
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van POWRTACH
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van MKI55
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:06 am

1/2done wrote:That tach is cool. Are you going to mount it in-dash?
I'm not sure yet. I bought it to go on the outside of the firewal with my vacuum gauge like they use to for tuning in the carbs. but I'm not sure I will do it with this one. matter how it's made. I don't want to stick it out there if it will get water behind the glass and screw it up. haven't got it in the mail yet so I will figure it out when I see how good it's put together. you can't see it in the pic but it says Offy Products on the right bottom of the face.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:07 am

got this in the mail today from ebay. vintage, as they call it amp gauge. it's a white face so I may mount it on the firewall with my white face vacuum gauge.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van 4905_1
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:08 am

As some know I've been looking for a roof off a mini van to use to cover the hole where the canvas top was. I like the looks of the body lines in some of the vans but after thinking about it there is no way a guy in 1955 to 1962 could have put that kind of bead roll in a roof. After thinking about it more and more, watching alot of old black and white hot rod movies and going through old mags, I'm not gonna use a van roof. most of the hot rods of that era had the canvas. I'm wanting a steel roof because of the cold weather and this is going to be a daily driver even in the snow.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture009
I shaped a piece of square tubing to match the contour of the roof. welded it in front to back and then ran 2 braces side to side. Pulled out the 16 gauge and started bending it the best I could to make a flat sheet rounded.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture010
I didn't catch it till after I had the roof tacked on but the center bar sank in the rear from the weld, about a 1/2 inch. I didn't weld the bottom so I should be able to jack it up with a pipe were it needs to go up and weld the bottom. The heat should be enough to get it were I want it. If not I'll put the torch to it an raise the brace.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:08 am

The car will get a fake canvas top. If I don't change my mind, the body will be Malono Maroon with a flatning agent. White firewall, White canvas top and maroon and white on the inside. After digging into the roof I'm getting more and more interested in the history of this car. I found what looks to be 3 different times the roof was screwed with. The factory, and what looks to be a chop top from the early days and a hack job to get the roof even lower, later on in the cars life. The first chop was a fun find. I cleaned up all the lead I found in the roof. I started welding and more lead started pouring off the side of the roof. OPPPS!! I have a lead sled and it's no Merc Razz . The roof from the first chop and the welds were filled with lead. Whoever filled the car did a nice job. the 2nd hack which put the lid down lower was a hack job. My 6 year old could have done a better chop. Bondo on top of bondo, bad welds ect ect. I beat, dollied and hammered on it for a while and let the heat from the welder work it's magic on the hard spots.

here's the 34 at the Labor Of Love Car Show in Burlington, Ky.
Sep 1, 2007
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture027
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture028-1

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:09 am

A month and one day is how long it took me to get the title work fixed on this car. this has been the craziest transfer I've ever seen. I had the title to the car from 1934. Someone had wrote junk on the title in 1941. this caused a problem at the DMV. Today I got my tags for the car so now I'm good to go. 2 states, 4 courthouses, 8 different trips to these DMV, more paper work than I've ever had to do, and 3 different duplicate titles from Ohio from where Ky wouldn't accept their title the way they had them fixed. I'm glad this part is over!!!

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:09 am

This next one may be a little strange to some. I needed an overflow bottle. alot of guys are using beer bottles. I don't care much for that idea so I had to think of something else. I picked this up when me and the ol' lady was down in Mexico. We was in a rough part of Mexico and it wasn't much on the tourist trade, so we picked up a few bottles from one of the stores to bring back with us.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture068
My spanish is not that good but it says Agua Mineral which I believe is mineral water. Don't ask me why it's brown Shocked . I needed a bracket so off came some sockets, a little bend and I had my bracket.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture073
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture072
What more scary than brown water? When you drill into the cap and it blows all over. I didn't think it would do this. This stuff been sitting around for a while. I figure it would be flat if it was soda. It just kept pouring out.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture079
I made the hole small enough that the hose would have a tight fit.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture081
I mounted the bracket to the inside of the grill shell. You won't be able to see it unless you are looking at the engine. I will have to get me a hose clamp next time at Lowe's. This one is just on there for mock up.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture083
I like the idea of having small items such as this to show some of the things I've done, have or places I've been.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:10 am

I welded up a few holes on the firewall and did my first skim of mud on the car. I know it looks like alot but it's not. Alot of dolly work to get the roof in better shape than it was. It's a thin skim coat. most of it will be sanded off also.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture065

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:11 am

Like I said earlier someone stuck a french antenna in this car at one point in it's life. after digging into it. I found out that whoever did the second chop messed it all up while dropping the top even lower. Their idea of pie cuts and welds were screwed up to say the least. I hammered and worked with it till it started to split where they welded it. I couldn't get the metal out where I wanted it and I wasn't about to put and inch of mud in it like they did. I had already broke off the pipe from the french job before I remembered to take a pic. This pipe is what I found after grinding out all the mud. Rusty welds, no dolly or hammer work just a lot of mud.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture066
out came the cutting wheel!
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture086
After cutting out most of their pie cuts and screwed welds I was able to hammer and dolly the metal on the outside of the cut. it laid out pretty well. now for the hole I cut out. It's hard to see but this has a curve to it up & down and side to side. I beat on this thing on my steps till I got it where I needed it.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture089
I had to stop working on the roof so I could fix this. I was afraid I would have to do some welding where the french antenna was and that it would get too hot for the filler on the back part of the roof. I'm glad I went ahead and fixed it now.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:11 am

I would never put a french antenna in a car like this. Some know that I'm a history buff and this car has a history and I didn't want to take that away from it. So you guessed it. Rolling Eyes I didn't want a big hole like the one they had in it. If I have to french one in this car I want it to be a little smaller than most. little harder to see. 1"OD pipe was used. Leveling the car and getting the pipe straight up and down for measuring was a pain. The angle cut was made on one end.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture093
A washer was welded on the other end and a small hole drilled through the side. With the thickness on the antenna mount the small hole should be right at the lowest point in the pipe.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture092
the hole in the side will get a brass elbow fitting and will be cold welded with JB Weld. Rubber hose will slide over the brass fitting and the other end will go through the floor to let the rain water or car wash water out of the pipe.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:12 am

I couldn't work and take pics both so it's hard to show you how to get the pipe staight up and down. What you want to do is take the pipe hold it upside down so the pipe is sticking up on the outside of your car. measure, measuer and measure. car is level. Front to back side to side. Take a marker and trace out the pipe where it's is on the body. Cut out the hole. PAIN Evil or Very Mad .. now you take the pipe turn it over and stick it in the hole. Spot weld and check for it to be level from the inside of the car. If you cut out the hole perfect you should be real close. Weld it all up and add some mud.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture109
This is only the roughed in pic. but you can get the idea. Little more body work and alot of blocking and prep around the hole will happen later. The antenna will only peek out of the hole about 4 inches.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:14 am

I also got this in the mail the other day. getting tired of not being able to see the red lights. Razz
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van Picture001-1
This glass guide sits on the dash so you can see the red lights. Pull up to a traffic light that you can't see because of a visor or a low chop top. look into the glass and you can see the light over your head. Not sure if some of the younger guys would know what it is or not.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next