{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E~Check coming back to Ohio?

5 posters

Go down

E~Check coming back to Ohio? Empty E~Check coming back to Ohio?

Post by RebStew February 23rd 2012, 6:46 pm

E~Check coming back to Ohio? 4bc771f288a445e4b606c38b22ffb988_banner
Ohio planning self-serve E-Check kiosks

• E~Check coming back to Ohio? C5ee07b1dc7e7eb96f1f4f686226a370_0_original

Do-it-yourself grocery store checkouts, movie rentals and now emissions testing. The state of Ohio is making E-Check easier so you can get your vehicle tested on your timeframe.

There's only one self service kiosk now, but up to 15 more are planned for other facilities.

We checked out the kiosk at the Twinsburg E-Check facility. It looks like an ATM, and it's open 24 hours a day.

"With my schedule, I did have to take some extra time out today so that might be an extra bonus for people that work during the week and odd hours," driver Linda Gillette said.

So how is it done? It's pretty simple. Pictures and a touch screen guide you through the process. You start by scanning your Vehicle Identification Number or VIN with the enclosed scanner. It's like the handheld scanner you see cashiers use at the checkout on bulky items.

Be patient. We had some trouble getting our VIN to scan, but eventually it worked.

Then, you enter the mileage. After that, all your information including the make and model, license plate and odometer reading appear on the screen.

Then it's time for testing. That's as simple as turning on the parking brake and engine. You grab the tester that's housed in the kiosk and plug it into the data port. It's located to the left of your steering wheel by the floor.

Then you wait. The computer and car run their tests. When it's complete, you wait for the results.

The machine was added in January, and more than 546 people used it during that month. However, not everyone completed the process. Only 461 people successfully finished the test, while the others aborted the check.

The EPA has guidelines in place to prevent fraud. The agency would not go into specifics for security reasons, but said a unique fingerprint is created during each test. The computer diagnostic tools match your car with three identifiers to prevent someone from scamming the system.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

E~Check coming back to Ohio? Empty Re: E~Check coming back to Ohio?

Post by FalconEddie1964 February 23rd 2012, 7:53 pm

Man, I went out and looked but I can't find the data port on my old white Ford.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 February 23rd 2012, 9:10 pm

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. It won't last long, have you ever seen people trying to use a self checkout, that thing will be FBAR before you know it.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 1/2done February 24th 2012, 12:48 pm

It's only the counties around Cleveland. It never went away there.
And don't scare me like that dammit!
1/2done
1/2done
Mechanic

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas February 24th 2012, 1:22 pm

I can see this coming to Middle TN soon. We already have the testing requirement. Guess I'll have to add a data port to the Merc. I'm guessing she's telling no tales though. Laughing
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down