{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford / Merc Radiator

4 posters

Go down

Ford / Merc Radiator Empty Ford / Merc Radiator

Post by Arieldouglas November 19th 2011, 1:15 pm

FalconEddie and Falconwagon, I think this question is for you guys in particular. Is the radiator in a 56 Fairlane the same as in the 56 Merc. There's a guy on the HAMB selling a bunch of parts for a 56 Fairlane including a new radiator. I need to find out if it has a tranny cooler. The one I have doesn't and I'm sure it probably needs re-coring. Anyone have any experiance with external coolers? Is that a route to consider. I've had trucks with auxiliary coolers and it always seemed like one more oil leak. Rolling Eyes

He has lots of shiney stuff too. If you need any.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Ford / Merc Radiator Empty Re: Ford / Merc Radiator

Post by RebStew November 19th 2011, 2:10 pm

External cooler is the way to go even if it's set up with a place for tranny lines. The cool tube is just a piece that goes through the one side and straight down to the next line. It doesn't cool it very good considering it's using hot water to cool the trans line. A good external cooler will put years on that old tranny.
As for the fitment Jeff may be able to shed some light on that.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas November 19th 2011, 2:21 pm

Makes sense. I guess that's why so many trucks do wind up with external coolers but every one I've been involved with connected with rubber lines and leaked. I haven't done any research. Are there ones out there that have hard connections? I have tubiing benders and flaring tools to make my own lines. I bought bulk brake line and fittings yesterday so I can start fabbing new new brake lines today.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 19th 2011, 2:24 pm

RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas November 19th 2011, 2:27 pm

I've got to make new lines anyway. We cut the lines with wire cutters when we pulled the engine. affraid
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 19th 2011, 2:29 pm

Arieldouglas wrote:. Are there ones out there that have hard connections? I have tubiing benders and flaring tools to make my own lines. I bought bulk brake line and fittings yesterday so I can start fabbing new new brake lines today.
They have them but the price is a lot higher. I'm sure you can fab some stuff up. I use rubber on all mine and haven't had a problem in years. Cheap gas line after a few years will start to break down. You can buy fuel injection rubber line that is very tough and will not break down like the cheap rubber gas line. It's about 8 bucks a foot at Advance Auto.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas November 19th 2011, 2:35 pm

RebStew wrote: Cheap gas line after a few years will start to break down. You can buy fuel injection rubber line that is very tough and will not break down like the cheap rubber gas line. It's about 8 bucks a foot at Advance Auto.

That's probably been the problem all along.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 November 19th 2011, 2:45 pm

My old 56 Ford was an automatic but it was air cooled. It didn't have a cooler in the radiator were as the Merc had a cooler. I used an external cooler on it. I also ordered some prebent lines for it somewhere. I forget if it was a transmission shop or the Ford dealer. They weren't that expensive back then.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 20th 2011, 9:39 pm

My 55 had a air cooled trans and now with a C-4 I put a cooler in front of the radiator and the Ford radiator should work in the merc.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down