{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff?

3 posters

Go down

Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff? Empty Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff?

Post by Z-YOU January 1st 2011, 12:52 am

Last month I decided to buy some new headlight assemblies for the van because the OEMs were getting condensation in them and I had already sealed them several years ago. Well, the GM parts are about $200 each at a discount, so I decided to just get some replacements off Ebay. How complicated can it be, right?

It must be really difficult. The first set I bought, the reflective coating in the headlights just wasn't right. They didn't throw any light and it wasn't sharp. Those were made in China. It was almost like driving without any headllights. Figured I'd try again, so I bought another set from another vendor. These are Eagle Eyes, made in Taiwan. Got them today. The parking light had a scratch in it right out of the box, but it isn't a show car or anything, so I figured I could live with it. Then I notice that the driver side headlight vertical adjusting screw head was irregular. The OEM and the horizontal adjusters all fitted a socket. This one was machined wrong and is a triangular shape that nothing I have will fit it. Again, I figure, what the heck, I'll just turn it with some needle nose pliers.

I went ahead & installed them and they looked fine. Went out after dark to adjust them, and I'll be a monkey's uncle, the driver side headlight is bright and reflective and the passenger side is dull. Very frustrating. Both headlights have a little green sticker on them that says "OK". Wonder what that means. Maybe it means the green sticker adhered properly, but it certainly didn't mean they passed any minimal Quality Control.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff? Empty Re: Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff?

Post by RebStew January 1st 2011, 1:28 am

The Jap crap is cheaper but they are not up to what most of us consider to be useable. It's a shame and the crap seems to be getting worse. I remember Kenny getting some a long time ago. Fist time he drove in the rain the lens filled full of water. He had to run blue glue around the seems to keep water out. It looked bad but I guess it cost him to much to take them out and throw them in the river like I would have done.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff? Empty Re: Is there any QC on this Taiwanese and Chinese Stuff?

Post by Butch Thompson January 1st 2011, 1:41 am

IT WAS THE CHINESE FOOD LOL
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson January 1st 2011, 1:43 am

SORRY WRONG THREAD
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU January 1st 2011, 1:59 am

Unbelievably, it gets worse. While I was at it, I also installed a white Xenon HID High/Low kit on the van. It looks like somehow, the passenger light is on high beam all of the time. I don't see how that's possible unless the darn HID bulb is manufactured wrong somehow. Anyhow, the driver side cycles low & high beam as it should but the passenger light only has one light level. You can't screw up the wiring because it's all assembled and you can't mix up the plugs for high & low beam.

Oh well, I've sent them an email to see if they can explain it & send me the replacement part I need.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU January 1st 2011, 4:15 am

Took everything apart & switched bulbs. Still the driver side cycles. So, it's either a bad ballast or bad relay. I don't know which. Also, one of the bulbs has a ground wire that isn't properly crimped in the plug. Gee Whiz!

I put the halogen lights back in for the time being.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down