{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where everyone go?

+12
Pitts64
falconwagon62
FalconEddie1964
Nanook
TAHOE
Marty042
911TAZZ
oldman
Roller Coaster
junkyard junky
Chris55
Reb Stew
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Where everyone go? - Page 3 Empty Re: Where everyone go?

Post by SMOKNZ July 1st 2015, 7:05 am

What's everyone doing this 4th of July weekend? I'm heading to Ohio to visit family on Saturday for a little bit, but if anyone is needing a hand working on there ride Saturday evening or on Sunday, give me a shout.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ July 14th 2015, 3:13 pm

What's going on this week fellas? Give me a shout if you need some help.......
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 14th 2015, 7:33 pm

Taking drivers side front brake apart again on the 64 after work today. I can't get fluid to it. though nothing seems to be clogged.?! Still scratching my head on this one!
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ July 16th 2015, 6:29 am

911TAZZ wrote:Taking drivers side front brake apart again on the 64 after work today. I can't get fluid to it. though nothing seems to be clogged.?! Still scratching my head on this one!

Is fluid running throuhout the lines or what? One of the most likely causes of no brakes is loss of fluid pressure in your brake system. The brakes operate using hydraulic pressure, so if there is a fluid leak in a brake line, brake hose, wheel cylinder or caliper, there may not be enough fluid pressure in the lines to apply the brakes.

- Check your master cylinder and see if the piston seals are worn or damaged

- Check your brake caliper to make sure there is rubber around the piston
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew July 16th 2015, 7:41 am

Sometimes the rubber line comes apart inside. I've had them stop fluid at times and even had one that would let fluid through but not return. Brake would lock up. Let it sit for 5 minutes it would bleed back past the flyed inner hose and roll again.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 16th 2015, 1:58 pm

Replaced the drivers side line. It was collapsed. Put it all back together, bled the brakes from back to front and had good pedal. pulled it out and went for a drive. first time touching the brakes and it pulled so hard to the left it dang near pulled the wheel out of my hands. After that it still pulls to the left but the pedal became spongy and slowly sinks to the floor. It will pump back up but wont hold. I'm gonna replace the passenger side line and bleed the brakes down again, but this time I think I'll bleed the master cylinder again. Just incase its got air in it. I know I'm missing something I just don't know what it is. scratch
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 16th 2015, 1:59 pm

I guess I should have added that there's no loss of fluid. checked entire system and its holding good.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ July 16th 2015, 6:49 pm

Frozen caliper maybe - Over time, a caliper can freeze up gradually, a process that can go unnoticed for a long period of time.

One way a caliper can freeze up is by the piston on the caliper being stuck in its bore. If the dust boot that protects the piston from the elements gets torn, water and debris will penetrate the metal in the caliper and cause rust and corrosion. If the piston is stuck, and the fluid pressure can't push it back into the bore easily, the pressure on the pads will be uneven and the car will pull. To fix this issue you will need to replace the caliper.

Another possibility is that the pistons got bent in a car accident, and can't move freely any more, causing the caliper to bind and limiting the amount of pressure to the pads.

The caliper can also freeze up if the caliper slide pins have lost lubrication because they have not been maintained properly. If the slide pins are your issues, they need to be cleaned and lubricated or replaced. You can buy an overhaul kit for calipers, but they are hard to find and your caliper may not be worth bringing back to life. Buying a new caliper may cost more but you will make up the cost with the time you save. Been there, done that!

The master cylinder could also cause a pull to one side when braking; this is unusual but it does happen.

A pull when braking may also have nothing to do with brakes. Bad front tires, or broken belts in a front tire, could cause it. Any pull caused by unevenly worn tires will be amplified when you step on the brakes. The tires' contact surfaces expand when you brake, thus putting more pressure on the bad tire and causing the pull to worsen. Replacing your tires will fix this, or you could try rotating your front tires to the rear of you car.

Let me know if this helps any Tazz...
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 16th 2015, 7:55 pm

Thanks, most of this has been addressed though. I replaced the master cylinder and put new calipers and all new brake hardware including self adjusters on all 4 corners. I replaced a collapsed drivers side front brake hose tuesday and almost new tires front and back a week or so ago. I cleaned the slide pins when I put on the new calipers. I'm going to replace the passenger side front brake line tonight. I will figure this out if it kills me. Again thanks, you never know when you might be overlooking the simplest thing.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil July 17th 2015, 10:44 pm

Wait...  Calipers?  Did someone convert it to disc??  You said you repleaced self adjusters on all 4 corners though?  Not following you at all.  Are you sure you're using the proper terminology?  If the original drums are on it you need to be looking at wheel cylinders and shoes, not calipers.

Other than that, replacing one side hose without doing the other is a no-no and highly suspect in your problem.  Did you replace the rear rubber line too?  It can cause problems as well.  Besides, for as long as that car sat I would do it anyways along with replacing or rebuilding all the wheel cylinders  before you plan on driving any sort of distance.  Brakes just aren't a place to halfass it.  With proper parts the whole system can be rebuilt and done in less than a day...
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Number of posts : 759
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ July 20th 2015, 3:20 pm

Sorry about that, brain was working faster than my hands. I meant to say wheel cylinders but to many years working on newer cars I guess. All rubber lines have been replaced, all new wheel cylinders and brake hardware as well. I even went out saturday and replaced the master cylinder that I had already replaced because I suspected it was possibly bad.
Ended up bleeding the entire system down three more times with little difference in peddle. So I just sat and looked at the car and mentally went over and over the brakes in my head. Pedal, pushrod, master cylinder, brake lines, wheel cylinders, brake hardware, adjusters, shoes, drums.
YEP, I overlooked the obvious. The pushrod wasn't adjusted properly. It was out by 1/4 inch, just enough to give the impression that I didn't have enough pedal. All this time I could have been driving the car! I feel so stupid, I should have checked it when I put the new master on.
Put some miles on the car yesterday and last night. I'll need a carb rebuild but she runs pretty good, and now she stops when I need her to. Thanks again for the help.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew July 20th 2015, 11:24 pm

We have multiple spots for stuff and we are putting everything in this thread. Let's put post where they go so it's more interesting and people understand what they are looking at. We have 5 pages of stuff from what we are doing to where we are, to talk about questions on cars. Let's post in other sections. It's a forum not a blog. lol
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum