{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tilt front end

3 posters

Go down

tilt front end Empty tilt front end

Post by dieseldr February 19th 2014, 3:50 am

Has anyone made a tilt front end from the factory sheet metal? I am considering this with my 66 comet. The fenders aren't too bad, but the hood is not spectacular, so this plays into the equation. If my sheetmetal isn't fabulous, why not modify something for a personal touch without spoiling any topnotch parts? So I'm looking for comments, criticisms, been there-done that's, suggestions and things to think about before I take the saw to anything. Car will be a big block, which will make it tough to service with conventional tin, a tilt front would make things easier. Plan to make some front sub upgrades for sturdiness/stability anyway. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

tilt front end Empty Re: tilt front end

Post by big dogs 42 February 19th 2014, 6:29 am

I did one on a ford truck years ago and its not that bad your problem will be the sheetmetal is attached to the radiator cradel and inner aprons  that  will have to be cut off the front sub rails the trick is to make it look like it sill opens in the front and and everything lines up as it should and of course the wireing for the lights and signals will need to be longer and you will need to decide if the bumper is gona tilt or be stationary  !  and another question is do you want it to lift manuel or elec. hyd. and one more thing on th 66 the serial numbers are on the top of the shock towers Are stamped on each side if it makes a difference in ny  if so then that piece will have to go on it also just my 2 cents !! good luck i know it can be done and the look hard with it done !!  Very Happy Cool
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 19th 2014, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply- doesn't sound like any of this is impossible to do at all. If I do the MII front suspension, most of the redo will already be redone as far as the rad mounting. The VIN attachment is no problem to keep either. Thanks for the thoughts
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 19th 2014, 6:48 pm

If you do a suspension swap you will be fine. As is you know the shock towers will be in the way. We are going to do a flip front on the gasser project. If we get to it before you do I'll be sure to post many pics.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 19th 2014, 7:09 pm

That would be awesome. I am sure you will be done long before me- I'm just one guy trying to fit this build in between customer work... not that you guys don't have obligations, but with a group together, and an agenda to engage a short racing season, yours will go much faster, I'm sure. Would you "split the fender", or would you leave it whole? I guess that depends if you use a 'glass front on the race car.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 19th 2014, 7:47 pm

We don't have to on the gasser but you may have to on the Comet. Issue is the bowed in bottom fender. Sometimes it has to be cut to flip and not hit the door on the way up.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 19th 2014, 10:31 pm

I've seen that done many times. I guess each vehicle is different. Just toying with the idea.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 20th 2014, 1:31 pm

It's always good to bounce ideas off each other.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 20th 2014, 1:45 pm

This showed a good angle of what you need. I don't like this set up on this one. I'm not for sure but I think he's using conduit. It may not be but if it is it's not strong enough. It will sooner or later rip through at the hinge point. Just thought I'd share to shoe the mounting stuff.
tilt front end Img_9210

Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 20th 2014, 2:49 pm

With a frame of swiss cheese, I wouldn't worry about the conduit, I'd be a lot more concerned about the frame folding up on it. Wow.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by big dogs 42 February 20th 2014, 7:02 pm

The issue of the curved bottoms on the fenders can be taken care of by installing a roller on the lower inside of the fender so when you raise it the roller will glide on the side of the cowl as for latches at the bottom a jeep hood hold down or similar product could be used . Cool 
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr February 21st 2014, 12:54 am

Got lots of those "Jeep hold downs" from working on over the road trucks. I don't think this is gonna be that big a deal, just got to double check the condition of my fenders and other body items. I'mnot going to chop or modify any good parts to do this. If the fenders are not nice, I'll just angle cut them from wheel well to windshield post and make it easier. Time will tell.Thanks everyone for all your help and comments.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down