{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

55 Gasser is finally home!!!!!

+9
Cratethis
Reb Stew
911TAZZ
oldman
Brownie
Nanook
ferrell1cars
falconwagon62
Chris55
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 55 Gasser is finally home!!!!!

Post by Brownie January 20th 2014, 2:30 am

I know just what you are saying.
Brownie
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Back to top Go down

55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 55 Gasser is finally home!!!!!

Post by Chris55 June 1st 2014, 2:04 am

Mama gave me the green light to go out and find a good 4 speed, but as we all no, life is what happens while your making plans. Lets put it this way, I never thought I'd be making payments on a mower.....Evil or Very Mad So  since the money for the new trans is gone, looks like I'll be using the old Saginaw instead. So today I pulled her out and cleaned her up, along with the bell housing, shift fork, bell crank, flywheel, and presser plate.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Transm10
Now for some more bad news, sometime during the move I misplaced (yea yea I know lost) the throwout bearing, flywheel bolts, and presser plate bolts. No So do any of you fine folks have any idea how to figure out what throwout bearing to use when I have no idea what the trans came from?
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr June 1st 2014, 3:11 am

Don't know much about the GM stuff, but the Ford stuff is all coded, provided nobody chiseled the code tag off it. Maybe some casting numbers will give some guidance. There can't be too many variations of TOB for a saginaw. As long as it fits over the front bearing retainer, and fits within the confines of the bell, it should be fine. Our local NAPA here in Western NY has an awesome bunch of old car guys behind the counter, with their experience split up amongst them relating to ford, GM and Mopar. It is really rare if you go in looking for something like this and they can't help you.... but they are here, and you're far away. It shouldn't be tough, if you can find a parts supplier that still keeps their old catalogs around.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 June 1st 2014, 5:08 am

The parts stores down here are a joke. Went to napa first, girl said she wasn't sure she could still get throwout bearings,auto zone wanted to know if it had A/C, at pep boys I stood at the parts counter for a long time, until a girl stocking shelfs told me that no one work at the parts counter, and I'd have to go to the check out to get parts. The young fella at the counter had no idea what I was asking for.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr June 1st 2014, 3:53 pm

That's the problem with modern era parts stores. Our local stores here usually have minimum 3 people on staff at the counter, and our NAPA manager/co-owner was in high school trade school when I was, and he has been with the store since 1979- gives him 35 years experience. He really knows the product line. And many of his co-workers have 20 plus years there under his training. So collectively they have over 100 years of parts experience. Do you have any idea what era this tranny would be from? If you got me some dimensions, maybe I could have him look into it, find what it may be, and mail it to you in a priority mailer. Knowing the input bearing retainer OD would be the first step... after that, I would have to see what he throws back at me for dimensions. Possibly a couple of casting numbers, maybe? Also maybe a dimension between the fingers of the fork? And they never throw out a catalog, especially if it would provide applications for muscle car and classic car info, since 3 of those guys are hobbyists, with one of them being a hard-core Mopar racer from the late 70's. He also moonlights doing race engine prep in his home machine shop- and can really make a wedge motor go.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 June 2nd 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the offer Doc, I may have to take you up on that. I really miss the old school parts guys, there was a parts man up home when I was young, who could find anything and knew most part numbers by heart. Most of the stores today have become like the old Nationwide Auto parts that were around when I was a young man. A good place to buy oil and wax but not a parts store
The problem with Saginaw is basically they used all the same cases and tailshafts for all applications, the only difference is the guts. Which makes them a pain to identify.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 2nd 2014, 2:57 pm

Chris55 wrote:  I really miss the old school parts guys, there was a parts man up home when I was young, who could find anything and knew most part numbers by heart.
I think those day are long behind us brother. Doesn't do me any good to go to a parts store. They have to order stuff I need. I can order stuff myself. I want it now.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop June 2nd 2014, 4:21 pm

Chris55 wrote:Thanks for the offer Doc, I may have to take you up on that.  I really miss the old school parts guys, there was a parts man up home when I was young, who could find anything and knew most part numbers by heart.  Most of the stores today have become like the old Nationwide Auto parts that were around when I was a young man. A good place to buy oil and wax but not a parts store
The problem with Saginaw is basically they used all the same cases and tailshafts for all applications, the only difference is the guts. Which makes them a pain to identify.
I have a lot of luck identifying them

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 June 2nd 2014, 6:25 pm

pepboys speedshop wrote:
I have a lot of luck identifying them[/quote]
you need to come down here and train these folks. Or better yet just move down here and take over one of these stores. Smile
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop June 2nd 2014, 7:20 pm

I wish I could

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr June 5th 2014, 1:30 am

According to my local NAPA fellers, their N1488 release bearing fits a huge number of applications from the fifties right on thru the 60's and 70's musclecar era as well, with VERY few exceptions. Hope this gets you something you can use.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 June 7th 2014, 2:56 am

Thanks to Doc I got my throw out bearing, and also snagged some pressure plate bolts. Now just waiting for a bronze pilot bushing from NAPA.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0710

Some more stuff I painted.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0711
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0712
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0713

Some valve covers and a fuel pressure gauge I picked up for her.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0714
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0715

I know it's not alot of progress, but at least I'm moving forward.....lol
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr June 8th 2014, 2:48 pm

Glad you "got 'er found". I finding out once you hit 50, any progress is a lot of progress.... I just run out of gas and attitude by the end of the afternoon.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop June 9th 2014, 2:28 pm

Chris55 wrote:Thanks to Doc I got my throw out bearing, and also snagged some pressure plate bolts. Now just waiting for a bronze pilot bushing from NAPA.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0710

Some more stuff I painted.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0711
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0712
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0713

Some valve covers and a fuel pressure gauge I picked up for her.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0714
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0715

I know it's not alot of progress, but at least I'm moving forward.....lol
Mna, its great progress!
any car saved it a huge victory!!!!

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 June 12th 2014, 1:36 am

Not for the 55, but some valve covers I did for the 47. have a Caddy air cleaner I'm gona paint to match. Trying to find an intake with the oil fill tube in the font, so I can move the pcv.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Imag0716
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 12th 2014, 1:39 am

Cool Valve covers. Bot sets!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Brownie June 12th 2014, 1:26 pm

Chris.
I got one you can have. It is already Chevy orange.
I will post a pic if you want to see it?
Brownie
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 June 12th 2014, 3:44 pm

Thanks Mike, that would be awesome.
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 March 31st 2016, 10:35 pm

Well I've done it now! I've registered the 55 for the Tri Five Nats., all ready paid the entry fee and reserved a hotel room so there's no turning back. Now I just have to get her ready in time. Shocked Anybody want to move to Florida for a couple months? lol! Wish me luck!
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by zpi28 April 9th 2016, 3:31 am

My wife would let us move there right now.

Sounds like you are going to have a blast. I need to make another trip down to Jacksonville to pick up a straigh axle  and springs for my 64 c10. I have someone holding it for me. So where is the Nats held?

zpi28
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2013-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 9th 2016, 4:13 pm

You can do it Chris!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 August 2nd 2016, 5:06 am

Making some progress, but not sure if I'm gona be ready by the 10th.
55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 <a href=55 Gasser is finally home!!!!! - Page 2 Image_zpspnkj5xnb" />
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Back to top Go down

Post by zpi28 August 2nd 2016, 12:54 pm

Nice, love me some fender well exit headers.

zpi28
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2013-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2