{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

+14
FalconEddie1964
junkyardjeff
Mr. Fabulous
Lady rebel
Admin
fuel10922
6-71Kid
RustyKarr
Striping Stew 54
LRS30
40standard
chev_hotrod
JRiggs
RebStew
18 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Empty Re: 1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:14 am

The problem I'm having is trying to do stuff to the car to get it ready for winter. the roof is roughed in and primed. Gonna hit the firewall next then on to getting windows and a heater in it. I can live with the roughed in stuff till next spring. After that I'll do the body work and shoot some color.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Empty Re: 1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:15 am

1/2done wrote:Have you got a heater? If not we can see if the one out of my Dodge is any good.
thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to go with a Mojave Universal Heater. the local hot rod shop has them for $125.00. same thing that speedway sells but for less money. seems funny to me because his prices are through the roof on most stuff. I guess speedy bill marked his way up. it an all self contained unit. run 2 hoses through the firewall and run your 2 wire and done. it has a 3 heat control switch also. Dave(tiresmake55) has one in his 55. said you can't hardly hear it run and it will run you out of it, it get so hot.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:16 am

2 steps forward and one step back. I blew up the engine in the 34. Doesn't really bother me much, it was a dog and I would rather have something in there that I know will run on long trips and not have to worry about it breaking down. I can move it around for now but it has the death rattle. The engine I was going to sell Cole is what I will use.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture169

I bought a truck to get the bed and dog house off of it for my truck. I never heard it run. I wasn't even for sure it was a 350. Here is my chief engine biulder taking some stuff off.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture171
Aryan was having some trouble pulling the wires off so with this being a rebuild I showed him the Kentucky Fix All Tool we use when we can get something loose. With the Ky "Fix All" he was able to just break the plugs and get the wire off
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture173

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:16 am

Cole my friend, all I can say is you messed up by not buying this engine. It was in an 85 truck I bought. I ran the numbers on the block and this is what I came up with: 14016379...350...77-79...2 or 4 bolt
The lifter valley was really clean. I took off the timing cover and there's a double roller. Well someones been in here, I thought. Slid out the bump stick and it was an aftermarket. Cool so far. Ripped off the heads to find a set of dished pistons. Oh well ya can't win them all. I left the bottom end alone and started grinding on the heads to smooth out all the casting marks and to smooth any numbers or slag from casting from the block. why? because it looks alot cleaner to me when all the rough stuff is smoothed. The engine will have a nicer paint job than the car. Ronnie stopped down and ripped into the bottom end. wow, 4 bolt mains with X rods. Cool. whats better than that? I have never seen a bearing come out of one of these engines look this nice. The bottom end was all GM still, never screwed with. I came close to putting it back together without a rebuild! Ronnie said the same thing. He's never seen an engine that didn't have less wear to it. This will be a stock rebuild with an after market cam.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:17 am

I ordered my rering kit from Summit Racing. The box it came in was fine but the bearings and the cam box looked like they was tossed against the wall at the warehouse. I made a call and they shipped my undamaged boxes to me yesterday. today Ron called and ask if I was ready to toss the bottom end together. . well sure. It's hard enough to get some help sometimes. It's really unheard of for someone to call you and say they are going to help you without you asking. I had the motor cleaned up and honed thanks to Bill for loaning me his honer. I was doing the crude cleanup on the pistons while Ron was tossing in the crank. Plasti-gauged the bearing and then we took turns cutting our fingers re ringing the pistons. The bottom end is together and Ron even made a phone call where he snagged a used gear drive for 10 bucks. We stopped down and picked it up then called it a night.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:18 am

The bottom end is together. I cleaned up all the casting and rough stuff on the block and heads. Any sharp corners are now smoothed out.

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture214
Today I worked on one of the heads. In this pic you can see where I ground off the smog head markings off the head. also note the bolt.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture211
I wanted it to look like an earlier engine and all the bolt holes and smog marking wouldn't let me pull it off. So I bottomed the bolt, cut it off and ground down the rest of the casting on the front and back of the heads.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture213
All the grinding marks will be followed by a final sanding to get it smoother and a few coats of hi-temp primer before the block and heads are painted.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:41 am; edited 3 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:19 am

If there's one thing I can say to help get you through a better engine build it's to gasket match your intake, heads and exhaust ports. It easy to do. It give you a little bit more horse power, better gas milage and helps your engine perform through it's power band better. As you can see GM was not up to cleaning up and matching stuff very well.

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture210
Little off the top, some off the sides and don't forget to clean up the EGR bumps on the bottom of the port. It still needs a little cleaning up but you get the idea.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture209-2
If you want to get a few more ponies take off about 60 thousands off the lower ramp back in the port. Smooth it out so it's not so hi.

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:20 am

Blown49 wrote:I think in the 235 sixes they install a "lump" back there to allow them to breath better. They actually sell lumps for this.
I'm not sure how the 235's are set up but on most V8's the ramp is smoothed out to help with the airflow. It's like taking a wall and turning it into a hill. It flows over it better. The EGR bumps on the bottom of the port was put there to break up any gas that is sitting in that low spot. With the ramp smoothed out it's not going to sit there. Also if you have your carb tune perfect by the time the air and fuel meet that hump it should be the perfect mix for free flow. One thing I didn't add before was if you do your ports don't polish them. Don't smooth them all out. It needs to have a rough finish to it to let the air and fuel mix. The rough walls let the two join better than the smooth. It you want to smooth something out do the exhaust ports so they flow

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 9th 2007, 11:21 am

I bought this 2008 Yaris for the ol' lady a few days ago.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture259
why post pics on here. because it's the perfect car to haul hotrod parts home in. ice cold ACblowing and the sound of my new split wish bones and headlight stand bouncing off each other when you hit a bump. Very Happy
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture258
i was tickled to get these. the bones come off a 36 Ford and a set of headlight stand are a set someone cut down for a fenderless hotrod out of what looks to be 32 ford headlight bar?? I found them at the Punkin Run back in the swap area. Nick Noble(Poor Boys CC) had them. I went to school with Nick and he made me a good deal $75.00 for the bones and he tossed in the headlight stand for free. I almost bought a set of stands off ebay a month ago. with shipping would have been over $75. so I feel pretty good about my new toys. I wasn't going to go to the swap but changed my mind at the last minute. never know what you will find huh?

Last edited by RebStew on March 7th 2008, 5:00 am; edited 2 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 30th 2007, 3:56 am

got the old engine out tonight. next comes welding up some holes and making a waving firewall smooth again.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 7th 2008, 4:58 am

I was wanting to do some work on the 34 while I had the engine out but it has sat all winter. I see that the 36 Chevy is taking up more of my time than I thought so I'm finishing up the engine and I'm going to stick it back in the 34 so I can drive it if I want to. maybe after the 36 truck is done I'll start cutting on the body of the 34.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 7th 2008, 6:57 pm

I tossed on the intake and valve covers last night just to take a look. the block will be painted and the aluminum stuff will be bead blasted to give it a nice look. not a good picture but you get the hint.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1223-1
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 7th 2008, 9:28 pm

motor looks pretty good.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 10th 2008, 6:55 am

thought I'd get my long block together tonight but the gunk covered oil pan was put in the parts cleaner to get the grime off of it and after cleaning it up I found two spots where it looks like it's punctured or almost punctured through. with the miles I rack up on these junkers I don't want and oil leak. I'll have to go to the other garage tomorrow and see if I have an extra oil pan. if not then I will see what Ky Motors wants for one.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod March 10th 2008, 2:20 pm

let me know today and we will finish that motor up today afro
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Number of posts : 462

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 10th 2008, 3:08 pm

i should have an extra oil pan. let me check before u buy one.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 15th 2008, 1:45 am

The engine is together and ready for some paint. Corey tossed in some old spark plugs to keep the paint from getting into the engine. The intake and vaive covers were used to keep paint out of unwanted places also.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1241
here's Corey cleaning up some of the pullies and stuff
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1245

Last edited by RebStew on March 28th 2008, 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 15th 2008, 1:53 am

The engine was first wiped down with a rag, shot with brake cleaner and then the air gun and a clean rag to clean up anything left behind. First was the hi-temp primer was shot.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1242
Then the paint. This is were I got a little ticked off. I had to order the color paint I wanted for the block. I wanted something that looked like you could have bought it back in the early 60's. Plus I wanted something no one else had. I found this odd mint green and spent something like 14 bucks for one can of it. I ordered it online and had it shipped to me. If you look at the can top you can see it didn't turn out the color it is on the cap. It looks like a light Pontiac blue. I thought maybe it was the primer so I shot the pullies without the primer. SAME COLOR! 🐘 I guess I will leave it the color it is for now.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1248
I need to bead blast my valve covers, intake and spacers and then they can be bolted on for good.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1246

Last edited by RebStew on March 15th 2008, 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by 40standard March 15th 2008, 2:35 am

looking good

40standard
Grease monkey

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 15th 2008, 6:49 am

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 68iuyt

GOD! Thats a ugly color!
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 28th 2008, 12:47 am

I pushed around a few cars so I could get the 34 in the garage behind my house. It was a tight fit but she's in there. Randy and Steve Vickers stopped down and helped get the engine in it's mounts. She is just resting there for now. When I get time I will start putting it together.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1290-1
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 28th 2008, 4:41 am

It was fun watching the President scratch of the Outsiders Car Club, Randy far left twist and tug the engine in place.
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1293
1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Picture1297-1
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 4th 2008, 11:07 am

It's almost 5 a.m. and I just come in from working on the 34. Other than the carbs it's almost ready to fire up. I ran into a problem with my alternator. I shaved the bolt holes in the heads so I was going to use a lower bracket set up. It looked like it would work good but when I put on the water pump it was to close. I moved the bracket to the other side of the engine and then it hit the steering box. GRRR!! I started moving stuff around and one thing lead to another and I ended up raising the entire engine up 2 1/2". Everything fits now. It's close but it fits. Even the engine looks better sitting a little higher. Before it was all sunk down in the frame. I still have to weld up the header and exhaust for it and I'm hoping to order two new carbs in a couple days.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 April 4th 2008, 1:24 pm

look's good when do you want me to drop my engines off so you can make them pretty...I need them by 3 pm to day is that enough time....Seriuosly look's good Steve, now get some sleep.....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

1934 Dodge. The Stewart mini van - Page 2 Empty shop forman

Post by Striping Stew 54 April 4th 2008, 8:29 pm

that shop forman really is worken hard or is he hardly worken Sleep
Striping Stew 54
Striping Stew 54
Scrounger

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next