{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer Licensing Debate

3 posters

Go down

Trailer Licensing Debate Empty Trailer Licensing Debate

Post by Roller Coaster May 30th 2012, 6:38 pm

Kentucky Revised Statute
186.675(2) states, “The provisions of KRS 186.650 to 186.700 shall not apply to privately owned and operated trailers used for the transportation of: Boats, Luggage, Personal effects, Farm products, farm supplies, or farm equipment, All-terrain vehicles as defined in KRS 189.010(24), Wildlife as defined in KRS 150.010(41) that the owner or operator of the trailer has obtained while hunting, and Firearms or other supplies used in conjunction with hunting wildlife.”

With that being said, do you have to license a trailer being used to transport an automobile (show vehicle, parts vehicle, disabled vehicle, etc.) in the state of Kentucky?

Before anyone claims that there vehicle is a “personal effect”, per Merriam-Webster, the definition of personal effect it “privately owned items (as clothing and jewelry) normally worn or carried on the person.

My opinion, although I hate to admit it, a trailer being used to transport an automobile in the state of Kentucky must be licensed. On the other hand, ninety-five percent of the time I am exempt because of the “Farm products, farm supplies, or farm equipment” clause. So, what are your opinions?
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Trailer Licensing Debate Empty Re: Trailer Licensing Debate

Post by Reb Stew May 30th 2012, 11:17 pm

This is something that we are all going to have to deal with soon. The law is on the books but I don't think many cops know about it around here. It won't take long and they will have to start writing tickets. Almost every other state has had to run tags. We are one of the last ones to not have too. That's all over with now. I have that old trailer out on the property. I'm going to go through the state to get a VIN and get tags. I don't want give a cop a reason to pull me over just so he can try to come up with something else to write a ticket on.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky May 31st 2012, 12:58 am

State Police and DOT around my area are already cracking down. Heard of two people in two different surrounding counties getting pulled over. One got off with a warning and told to get a license plate or it will be a ticket next time. The other person was a retired Kentucky State Police officer who got a ticket when he went into TN. His county borders tn. You can get off with running no tags as long as it is farm, in the state of ky, and less than 150 miles from home. Thats what a Ky State police officer said. Got both of our trailers tagged. The local clerks office where I pay taxes on vehicles said that we didn't have to pay taxes on the trailer every year.

I little money for a license plate is not too much compared to being pulled over while traveling and getting a good ol ticket.

While traveling to Oklahoma City in August of 2009, I was heading through Fort Smith Arkansas and a DOT suburban pulled out and followed me for about two miles. Pulled up to the back of my bumper. I'm guessing he was checking my tags and seeing where I was from. After 2 or 3 miles he passed me and pulled over a didge with a horse trailer.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down