{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenny's Flashback 79 Camaro

+17
Cratethis
falconwagon62
FalconEddie1964
vettespd29
blacksunshine
magicman_1968
John B
JRiggs
Mr. Fabulous
LRS30
Striping Stew 54
big dogs 42
6-71Kid
RustyKarr
Lady rebel
RebStew
xycho_wraith
21 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Kenny's Flashback 79 Camaro - Page 3 Empty Re: Kenny's Flashback 79 Camaro

Post by xycho_wraith March 12th 2009, 2:17 am

i got the car from a member on here did not here it run it had a blown head and he kept the carb and distributor i put heads intake and chrome crap on it it runs but has low low compression and absolutely no balls that motor is old and weak I'm going to try hard and build a new motor 4 it starting this week and am going to need a ton of help and support ..as 4 the dip stick it had a led pencil with tape on it i bought one at auto zone it didn't fit i researched and found that pass side sbc dip sticks are different so i bought one that was 4 the pass side boy was that a mistake lol ........I'm going to give a 100 % try w this new motor then do body afterwards i had the CD player laying around due 2 putting a TV in the late model..the dash cover was 20 bucks and at the time i bought it i thought i had it close to running right ...i dont mind the tough love i need it

here's the motor I'm calling about right now ave a 355 block 2 bolt main fresh machined with new cam bearings, new 202 heads,recondition rods and crank and a 700r4 with a shift kit and a 3500 stall $800 or trade on guns or something of equal

i got a 510-533 cam never used a gear drive lifters rockers push rods and was going to buy a set of camel humps

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 12th 2009, 2:58 am

With the blown head gasket it could have washed out the bearings,rings, total reason for lack of compression, and no power..Did you try doing a leak down test on it to see for sure? Usually if its bearings you will hear that.. Bad rings will make it smoke bad .. I would try a leakdown/compression test for starters.. Did you check the block for square mating surface before you put the heads on.. And from experience I don't/would'nt buy an engine I was gonna use without having hear it run first, unless I knew I was gonna rebuilt it from the get go..Usually when I hear people buying engines from craigslist/ebay it ends up being a money pit and have to go back and fix what someone supposedly had done just before it was bought and you have twice as much in it ..Just food for thought maybe find a decent running COMPLETE engine out of a car for small dollars, then save the extra loot and buy a short block from a actual engine builder, you will be dollars ahead in the long run and usually they have a warranty.. JEGS, SUMMIT and others you can get a good solid short block for around $1200 and put all your other stuff on it , I have seen some companys like chevy350engines.com that sell complete ready to run for around a grand, I know alot of these companys use cheap parts to keep the cost low thats why I would go with a quality company... Will they be a hot drag motor, hell no, but your probably not gonna buy a hot setup for a grand either, Hell machine work alone magna flux, hot tank, bore and line hone is'nt cheap and thats just on the block alone... Do some home work before you buy someone elses abortion.. I have a date code 58 283 in the garage that I am keeping for that special traditional project, and i can assure you before even think about putting it in something it will be gone thru to make sure its even usable before I will spend a dime on gingerbread doo-dads.Thats why that little 305 will be in the T, why because I know it runs, and runs good, is it what I want, nope, but it will get me down the road while others are sitting in the garage..Do your reasearch and remember if it is cheap and sounds to good to be true it probabaly is..I'm sure others have opinions on engines other than me ask around, but before i would give some jack-(BEEP) I don't know a grand, or $800 I would look around to see what the most bang for the buck I could get for my money.. And remember shiney orange paint and chrome doe'snt always mean it will run or mean it was rebuilt..Just look around and do some homework...
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 12th 2009, 3:00 am

here's the motor I'm calling about right now ave a 355 block 2 bolt main fresh machined with new cam bearings, new 202 heads,recondition rods and crank and a 700r4 with a shift kit and a 3500 stall $800 or trade on guns or something of equal

who rebuilt it , will they stand by the machine work. when was it rebuilt and can you produce recipts to prove it, if not then he is a liar and its a motor out of his dads old truck
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by big dogs 42 March 12th 2009, 3:35 am

Last edited by big dogs 42 on January 27th 2010, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 12th 2009, 7:15 am

ill google and call this jack 2 marro I'm also going to look at a old Chevy van that runs has a bad starter but drives by my house 4 550 w trans that would leave me enough cash to get a ring kit camel humps and gaskets then i should be OK ? if it works out the guy claims its a jasper motor w around 50 gs give or take prob not but u never know...the 355 was in lex and needed honed and had no pistons only wanted 400 w out trans but was 2 shady 4 me...this is a big deal 2 me and i wanna try and do the right thing the right way 4 once I'm looking 2 spend right around a grand ...that car is my reason 4 getting out of bed these days i love that rusty bucket lol think I'm going to name it beast of burden lol when I'm done .....thank u guys 4 the help

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 12th 2009, 12:53 pm

Just buy a motor that is up and running and stick it in and go. Why worry about rebuilding one if you have the cash to buy a running motor. Get a motor stick it in the car and drive it. It cost money to build anything right. Just get it running and build one later if you want something fast.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 12th 2009, 4:17 pm

This is all just positive advice, no one is picking on you I hope you know this.. Speed cost money, just remember that.. And even a stock sbc sounds good with 2 to 2 1/2" exhaust and flowmasters.. You have a ton of eye candy now just put good money towards a reliable motor, not someone elses junk..If you can find a runner that runs good thats always easiest for sure, you pull it clean it paint it pop it in and bam your golden, in about a weekend if you have your heart in it..Then you search for you hot engine, start with a good block have it professionally done, then a rotateing assembly, then heads done by a prof. shop and then ad your bling to it.. It takes time and nobody likes to have thy're project sit in the garage but sometimes the function out ways the means.. But before you pull that old engine try haveing a leakdown test done and see it its rings, you maybe surprised in what you find...Thew motor still may have miles left in it and could be something else your over looking, VACUME LEAK's will cause alsorts of power robbing issues. A little brake clean sprayed around the base of the carb, and manifold edges will tell alot when the motor is running..
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr March 12th 2009, 9:07 pm

xycho_wraith wrote:700r4 with a shift kit and a 3500 stall

If your not going to buy the setup or your not going to run overdrive , let me know.
PM me on this. Thanks.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 13th 2009, 1:02 am

going satt 2 look at a 77 monte runs and drive and a guy that has a 350 4 bold 50 thou miles and he also has a 350 2 bolt that is a fresh rebuild that he has set up 2 run as it sits on the floor he wants 800 4 that one so i dunno

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 13th 2009, 1:13 am

might work out for ya..good luck
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 13th 2009, 1:30 am

there's more wrong w that ol 305 then i have posted that's why i keep looking 4 something else

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 16th 2009, 5:54 pm

big dogs 42 wrote:Kenny THERE IS A PLACE IN LARENCEBURG IND. CALLED JACKS AUTO ENG. EXCHANGE YOU CAN GET A 350 CHEVY FOR ABOUT THE SAME MONEY ALREADY REBUILT WITH A WARRENTY YOU CAN BUY A SHORT BLOCK OR LONG BLOCK I HAVE USED THIS COMPANY 4 TIMES AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SO BEFORE YOU BUY SOMEONE ELSES JUNK CONSIDER THIS ALL THAT BLING YOU GOT CAN BE PUT ON ONE OF THESE AND IT WILL GET YOU DOWN THE ROAD MAYBE NOT IN UNDER 10 SECONDES BUT YOULL BE ABLE TO ENJOY YOUR CAMARO. THEIR IS ALSO ANOTHER ENDGINE PLACE IN LOUISVILLE ALSO.

called this place the # is dis connected maybe the econ got them 2 😢

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 16th 2009, 6:04 pm

The drunks up in Bryant said they had a small block that ran but I don't know if I'd waste my time with them. Call G W Pierce over in Ricmond and Spiceland IN. I've got a few motors from them but that wqs years ago. They used to give warranties, but that was for newer motors.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr March 16th 2009, 8:23 pm

1975 model 350 with 70k on it can here run 350 dollars, call 859-466-2364

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 17th 2009, 4:37 am

RustyKarr wrote:1975 model 350 with 70k on it can here run 350 dollars, call 859-466-2364

i looked at this yesterday b4 i ran in 2 ya guy sold it 10 mins after i left Mad

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 17th 2009, 6:58 pm

kenny when i built the motor that is sitting in garage. here is a break down on the parts and price list from custom engine service in dry ridge.

new rod bearings 24.00
main bearings 28.00
new timing set 45.00
set of new head bolts 34.00
reconditioned powdered rods 175.00
hardened pushrods 40.00
one late model turned crankshaft turned 10-10. 100.00 plus core
set of pistons were 84.00
rings were about 40.00
i pieced together a gasket kit but ebay has one for 109.00
block was a freebie
labor was a freebie

thats 679.00 which doesnt include: intake, carb, misc. brackets, fuel pump, and anything else im forgetting.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 18th 2009, 7:25 am

eBay sale pending going to look and prob pick up 2day !!!!!!!!!!!wish me luck ya all lol

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 19th 2009, 5:13 am

well i got a true 4 bolt 350 screwed my self yet agine thank u mr riggs 4 catching the flaw i honestly dont think i would had dunno what plan b is going to be i spent 800 of the 9 i had so any one want a buick lol

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 19th 2009, 6:00 am

well i said i was going to give a 100 % so any one got some 350 std pistons and after i get things ready mabie a pizza and beer party 4 who ever wants to help put this thing back together boy this guy is going to get a phone call when i wake up

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 19th 2009, 3:55 pm

you spent 800 bucks for a motor that needs rebuilt? What is the deal with the engine?
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 19th 2009, 4:54 pm

xycho_wraith wrote: when i wake up

When's that going to be............
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 19th 2009, 6:05 pm

the guy told kenny that it was ready to go all kenny would have to do is put the heads and intake on and go. well kenny stopped bye last night and we started talking about the motor. i wanted to take a look at it. its hard to explain but 7 pistons were all the same and the 8th piston was alot different..kenny will have to take pics in order for everyone to understand
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by John B March 19th 2009, 6:22 pm

JRiggs wrote:the guy told kenny that it was ready to go all kenny would have to do is put the heads and intake on and go. well kenny stopped bye last night and we started talking about the motor. i wanted to take a look at it. its hard to explain but 7 pistons were all the same and the 8th piston was alot different..kenny will have to take pics in order for everyone to understand

I'd not waste a dime on it. I'd take it back to the guy and tell him it wasn't what he said it was. Unless, Kenny had the chance to inspect it and missed that, then it's all on him. I always try to take someone smarter then along to look at cars and engines. Thats easy for me, since I'm not real smart.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 19th 2009, 7:09 pm

silent
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 19th 2009, 7:38 pm

xycho_wraith wrote:well i said i was going to give a 100 % so any one got some 350 std pistons and after i get things ready mabie a pizza and beer party 4 who ever wants to help put this thing back together boy this guy is going to get a phone call when i wake up

You better check the bore to make sure you can use std bore pistons.. If it has mis-matched pistons I'm sure an ASE certified mechanic has already been thru it and is in top running form, shiney orange paint does mean its ready to run right??? I'm sorry... I need to remember that God gave us TWO EARS and ONE MOUTH so I can LISTEN TWICE AS MUCH AS I TALK... just by going on the whole mis-matched piston thing, or maybe thats a new trick to get more h.p. that I'm not aware of.. Me personally I would call him and try to get my money back, but then again what the heck do I know.. Good Luck on your New RE-BUILT 350 4 Bolt MAIN .. please tell me you ran the numbers first or at least pulled the pan to actually see if it is a 4 bolt cause it sounds like this guy is'nt at all trust worthy,I hope it works out for you, If you wanna give that old worn out junk 305 away I'll pick it up..
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next