{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig...

+9
Cratethis
big dogs 42
junkyardjeff
Striping Stew 54
magicman_1968
Mr. Fabulous
xycho_wraith
junkyard junky
RebStew
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Empty Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig...

Post by RebStew December 18th 2007, 11:48 pm

I feel like my dog died. You know how hillbillies are about their trucks.
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Picture744
I've had this truck for years. It has been built and rebuilt more times than I can count. It started out as a one ton, flatbed single rear wheel set up, to a dual wheel rear. The body parts have been changed again & again through it's life. Newport got on me about having a flatbed parked on the street so I bought another truck and ripped all the body parts off it for her, other than the cab. I mini tubbed the rear so the bed would fit.
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Picture745
I figured one of these days I'd have it done but you know how it goes. This has hauled more cars than I can count, engines, body parts as well as my entire 36 chevy truck in the bed of it. okay, okay I'll get to the point. The truck is now in someone elses hands so I could get something a little better for what we need. Which would be something a few guys or the family to pile into and go to the track, to chase down old iron or tow whatever. It was hard for more than 3 guys to go someplace in the truck.
Now the club has use of my new truck. Enough room for 5 with room to spare. 4 doors. Very Happy Enough engine to pull a house off its foundation. 454 Very Happy this one will be fixed up a bit and I hope it will end up painted sometime this summer.
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Picture747

Last edited by RebStew on April 7th 2009, 11:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Empty Re: Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig...

Post by junkyard junky December 19th 2007, 3:56 am

good looking truck. I've always liked those 80's crew cabs. Its it auto of manual trans? I've been looking for one like this one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/car/512925515.html

Best part is, I think those 3/4 tons use 16 tires. I can get prenty of those at work. There is a cattle farmer up the road from work that has a 87 chevy 3/4 ton crew cab turck chassis and body. I've been meaing to call about it.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Empty Re: Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig...

Post by RebStew December 19th 2007, 4:50 am

junkyard junky wrote:good looking truck. I've always liked those 80's crew cabs. Its it auto of manual trans? I've been looking for one like this one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/car/512925515.html

Best part is, I think those 3/4 tons use 16 tires. I can get prenty of those at work. There is a cattle farmer up the road from work that has a 87 chevy 3/4 ton crew cab turck chassis and body. I've been meaing to call about it.
This one is the heavy duty deal. One ton with helpers, has the beefy frame 454/400 turbo trans with 411 Dana rearend. 90K miles on her. New tires all the way around. This should make a nice truck. It needs a front seat in it. It's all broke down other than that I'm happy with it so far. I drove it around a little tonight. It was used for hauling something big. It had a fifth wheel in the bed. I already miss my old truck though. I did a lot of work on the old one. oh well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 4 door has been doing it's share of work.
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Picture1309-1
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... DSCF4269
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... DSCF4249
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Picture1396

Last edited by RebStew on April 8th 2009, 12:45 am; edited 6 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... Empty Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig...

Post by RebStew March 19th 2009, 5:07 pm

The old 85 G.M.C. C3500 has been dragging, towing and hauling parts for a while now and is littereraly falling apart. I figured I'd post up some of the stuff being done to it to keep it road worthy for the crew.
Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... DSCF3121

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... DSCF3124

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... DSCF3123

Last edited by RebStew on March 26th 2009, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 19th 2009, 7:25 pm

i can help fix some of it take the wheels off do the front brakes what ever

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 19th 2009, 8:08 pm

You must be getting ready to put that bread truck body on that thing. :farao:
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 20th 2009, 3:42 am

I bolted on a Choo Choo Custom Scoop to the hood yesterday. Not much on scoops but it's hiding a big dent in the hood. Very Happy
I also shelled out 41 bucks for the power window motor. Randy said he'd get his mechanic to put it in for 40 bucks. I may do that. For what time it would take me it's worth dropping the 40. We will see. Maybe I will get a free few hours before Randy's garage is empty and just put it in.
I started looking over the engine and there is a bunch of smog and vacuum lines dry rotted and falling apart. I ripped off the stock breather and replaced it with an open element 14" breather. I was short on the base but Riggs came up with one. It sit too low but I had a spacer so it worked out great. Riggs what do I owe you for the base?
I also rerouted some vacuum lines and cleaned some up. I need to stop and buy some new rubber lined and redo all of the lines and get rid of the smog junk. I'm hoping with a clean up and tune up she will get better gas milage.

Last edited by RebStew on March 25th 2009, 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 20th 2009, 3:45 am

xycho_wraith wrote:i can help fix some of it take the wheels off do the front brakes what ever
The bed is coming off soon. You could do your work on the frame with a wire wheel if you feel up to it. Get the frame cleaned up and I'll shoot some primer and paint over it. That should protect it for the rest of it's life from the rust belt we live in.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 20th 2009, 3:49 am

The cheapest 16" front tires I have found is 100 bucks each. If anyone can get a deal on NEW rubber let me know. I want to put radials on the front and a couple months down the road on the rear. Give it a little better ride than those hard tires that is on it now. The rear gets stuck in the flat grass(junk hard tires). That has to stop...
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith March 21st 2009, 8:12 am

RebStew wrote:
xycho_wraith wrote:i can help fix some of it take the wheels off do the front brakes what ever
The bed is coming off soon. You could do your work on the frame with a wire wheel if you feel up to it. Get the frame cleaned up and I'll shoot some primer and paint over it. That should protect it for the rest of it's life from the rust belt we live in.
u know im good at that lol im up to it as long as i aint got anything 2 big going on

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 25th 2009, 4:12 am

With the help from my pops and the Bobcat we got the flatbed into the barn. I spent the better part of today sitting it on a set of saw horses and used a couple of logging chains to hang it up into the rafter so I could work on it & paint it. Most of the day was the nasty job of wire wheeling the bed. It had alot of flaking paint and surface rust from sitting around. It won't be perfect but it will work for what we need it for. I dropped the truck off at Randy's tonight. I figured I'd be able to get the flatbed in paint while he's working on the power window.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 March 25th 2009, 4:34 am

RebStew wrote:With the help from my pops and the Bobcat we got the flatbed into the barn. I spent the better part of today sitting it on a set of saw horses and used a couple of logging chains to hang it up into the rafter so I could work on it & paint it. Most of the day was the nasty job of wire wheeling the bed. It had alot of flaking paint and surface rust from sitting around. It won't be perfect but it will work for what we need it for. I dropped the truck off at Randy's tonight. I figured I'd be able to get the flatbed in paint while he's working on the power window.
let me know when your ready to pull the bed and set the other one on...lil Joey will do something also to help out Very Happy
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 29th 2009, 5:31 am

Randy fixed the power window yesterday and it's working great. He even did a pickup service this morning so I could grab it from his shop. It zips up and down fast now. Very Happy
Corey and I yanked off most of the diamond plate steel from the bed today. Joey is getting it and the tool box for his truck that Joe gave him. Kenny also tossed in a set of mud flaps and extra plating for Joey too. He should have a tuff truck by the time he gets his license.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 March 29th 2009, 5:56 am

RebStew wrote:Randy fixed the power window yesterday and it's working great. He even did a pickup service this morning so I could grab it from his shop. It zips up and down fast now. Very Happy
Corey and I yanked off most of the diamond plate steel from the bed today. Joey is getting it and the tool box for his truck that Joe gave him. Kenny also tossed in a set of mud flaps and extra plating for Joey too. He should have a tuff truck by the time he gets his license.
Yea he was diggin the new parts Very Happy thanks Very Happy
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 1st 2009, 4:44 am

This week has been busy but I managed to get the flatbed in primer a couple days ago. Today I shot the flatbed with some semi gloss black. Chad stopped by the property to chat for a second. It was a nice brake from the busy day. I was wanting to start ripping the factory bad off but Steve Vickers wants to use it in the next few days to haul some gravel and then we have Dave's swap meet. I will need to haul a few parts so I guess it will be next week sometime before I can mount the flatbed.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Striping Stew 54 April 2nd 2009, 1:06 am

Yea I think that it will be much easier to move stuff in and around Instead of reaching over the flares to get to anything, but dad if you put it on there dont fall off. afro
Striping Stew 54
Striping Stew 54
Scrounger

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 2nd 2009, 5:23 am

I have a pair of decent 16 inch tires.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 2nd 2009, 5:24 am

Striping Stew 54 wrote:Yea I think that it will be much easier to move stuff in and around Instead of reaching over the flares to get to anything, but dad if you put it on there dont fall off. afro
OH NO YOU DIDN"T GO THERE!
Not that it's a big deal but this bed was on my other truck. When I was leaving the barn that I shared as a garage I was standing on the racks unscrewing a light that I put up over the door. My feet had grease on them and I slipped off the side and fell in the barn, on the concrete floor. I jumped straight up to me feet and started walking it off but my foot was hurt. My mom happened to be watching out the window and seen me take the fall.
LOL I didn't jump to my feet like I thought. It must have knocked the crap out of me. She said I laid there for a few second and then started crawling through the barn. Laughing What made the fall so bad other than how far I fell was the fact that on the way down my foot slipped down the board and into the pocket that comes off the side of the bed to tie stuff to. My toes went in first. I broke 3 of the bones in the top of my foot. I walked with a cane for 3 weeks and then hobled around for a while. I was playing with the kids about 3 months afterwards and jumped off the porch and rebroke them where they wasn't healed good.
Corey I will try not to fall off again. Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 2nd 2009, 5:24 am

junkyardjeff wrote:I have a pair of decent 16 inch tires.
235/85 16's by any chance?
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by big dogs 42 April 2nd 2009, 4:27 pm

Last edited by big dogs 42 on January 27th 2010, 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 2nd 2009, 5:18 pm

big dogs 42 wrote:Your about as gracefull as i am at least your truck bed was lower than the one i fell off of(Damm that Hurt) as Chris Farley said That's Gonna Leave A Mark!!! Very Happy
I think we measured it. My feet were about 6' off the ground on top of the cattle racks. What made mine bad was that when my foot got stuck it slung shot my head and forward. I guess the foot getting stuck may have kept me from busting my head wide open. It may have slowed me down. Then again I'm not sure you could hurt my hard head. Laughing
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 5th 2009, 2:35 am

The pair of tires are 215/85 16s

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky April 5th 2009, 2:56 am

I can check at work and a local junkyard in bowling green and see what they have.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 10th 2009, 6:22 am

I was hoping I would have this truck together but my time is being used up on other things. I did get the flatbed painted and yanked off the stock bed. I scraped the frame and hi preasure washed it after this pic was snapped. I have to shoot some flat black on the back of the cab before putting the bed on. I won't be able to spray it with the flatbed on it so Corey sanded the back of the cab down today. Again my time was spent doing other things so I didn't get the frame and the back of the cab painted. Now it's raining. Evil or Very Mad

Scrounger's Parts Chaser & Tow Rig... 025-4
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by big dogs 42 April 10th 2009, 6:12 pm

Last edited by big dogs 42 on January 27th 2010, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next