{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve's mini vacation through the south.

+5
FalconEddie1964
big dogs 42
LOCO64
silveradolady
RebStew
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steve's mini vacation through the south. Empty Steve's mini vacation through the south.

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 5:40 am

It started out with me just going to Richmond Ky for the pre Thanksgiving bash that Casanova was putting on.
I had a really good time down there but just didn't feel like going home.
The shop was full of cool stuff
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3899
and the food was great.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3902
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Steve's mini vacation through the south. Empty Re: Steve's mini vacation through the south.

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 5:49 am

I left Richmond, Ky and headed south. I made it down to TN and was able to get over Jelico Mountain without hitting any rain or snow.No wipers on the 49. rain X works great for rain but I'm not sure about the snow.
I got off the mountain and found a little town to crash in for the night. I like the cheap hotels. I did look for bed bugs before laying down. If you look close the sign says 25 bucks a night.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3904

I wasn't too sleepy so I walked around town for a while and then stopped in this choke and puke for a bite to eat. You could tell you were down south. The food is all home cooking. Very Happy
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3905
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Steve's mini vacation through the south. Empty Re: Steve's mini vacation through the south.

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 5:59 am

When I went to sleep it was a nice clear night.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3907
When I woke up it was raining :!:
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3908
I stopped in at the gas station and went over the windows with the RainX and I was ready to roll. It didn't take long and I was in GA
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3910
A stop at a rest area for a snack and a Dr Pepper from my cooler, that Kevin striped happen often.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3911
I wasn't in a hurry. I was just out driving and having a great time looking at some of Gods work. Further south you went you could still see some fall colors in the trees.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:06 am

At times it rained very hard but I have to say with the RainX on the windshield the old Plymouth just cruised right along. Sometimes faster than it should have. It seemed like this was a shot that happen often too. Gas become the reason to stop a lot of times.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3912
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:15 am

I headed west through the back roads and went into AL. It was pretty cool to see they really do still pick cotton down there. Fields of what was left ran across many old country roads. Sea of dead brown plants with bright white pieces of cotton that was left behind by the pickers. Not a lot but just enough to make your eyes roll out through the fields.

People are more than willing to be friendly when you want to talk. I found myself a few times having to drag myself away from some very nice people down there.
This 48 Chevy was going on the lft when I drove by. Tubbed with a 454
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3924
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3926
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3925
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3923
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:16 am

90% of the time when I seen something cool I stopped to look. Old gas stations and old iron are all over the place down there.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3913
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3928
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3927

Last edited by RebStew on December 9th 2008, 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:23 am

I headed north out of Florence AL and started back up into TN. The rain had now stopped and you could see all the small things that were hiding behind the barns and trees.
Driving the back roads of the south you are bound to find almost anything and hear stories that would curl your toe nails. I have my oldest girl living down in Iron City TN, A very rough and out of the way place. They even came out with a movie about the murders and some of the people that end up missing from this little hick town, Iron City Blues is the name of the movie. If anyone ever finds a copy I'll buy it from ya.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:31 am

Getting closer to Iron City I came across this place, A little store of sorts.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3914
That's a creek running under one of the shacks.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3915
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3916
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3918
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:32 am

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3920
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3917
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 6:45 am

Two guys came out and was looking over the Plymouth. It did make me feel a little funny not having my side arm with me and is only the second time I've been away from Ky without it. I didn't think I was going anywhere other than Richmond when I left the house. To say the two were a little strange was an understatement. Trying to offer to buy the Edsel seemed to tick off the old boy somewhat. We did get to talk about some old iron that was laying around the area. While I was at it I ask "How far to Iron City?"
They both looked at me funny. The one said you don't want to go to Iron City! I was a little confused and ask, I don't? he said there have been people missing from there and they never can find them. A lot of funny stuff goes on up there. I replied that I have kin up there and going to see 'em. The talking was over with a brief 30 miles up the road and don't let your (BEEP) be cought there when the sun sets, then they walked away. Driving off in the old Plymouth and heading up that country road left me giggling with their thoughts of Iron City TN.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3919
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:11 am

Making it to Iron City and stopping by to see an old friend made me relize that the two guys at the little store was right. Thomas was very good friend of mine that passed away. We were so close that I introduced him to my sister and they got married. He ended up having a heart attack and died not long after they were married.
It was a really rough time and the first time I had been back there since we put him to rest. There was a huge fight between the families and it was like fued. I don't want to get into that story here but it was bad enough that everyone was packing sidearms under their clothes and rifles in the trunks of our cars. One guy even brought and armed convicted murderer that did time for killing his girlfriend for a bodyguard. We had to call in family members from Ky just to watch our backs. So I guess looking back on it some of the stories about Iron City being on the rough side is true.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3921

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3922
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:21 am

I stopped in and spent some time with my 18 year old little girl. Very Happy We sat around for a while talking and then I went to see my sisters new center.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3929
As you can see from the pic the sun had set on my (BEEP) but I was still kicking. lol
They wanted me to stay overnight but I wasn't tired and I figured I get some miles north while the weather was good. I said my goodbyes and rolled on through town.
I thought about heading east to make it back to the highway and then thought?? I'm not on the clock. I headed north through the back roads.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:29 am

I came across this town with a Chink Buffet. I stopped, ate and walked out just before they closed. I made it to the next town before I relized I shouldn't have ate at the Chink place. I grabbed a room for the night and relaxed untill it was checkout time.
Cruising up the backroad kept me stopping every 30 minutes or so looking at old building or cars.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3934
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3935
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3936
Can you see where Ford is etched in the glass?
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3937
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:34 am

Just daydreaming about the car life I wondered if this was some kids start at a hot rod. You know grampa didn't toss those bucket seats in there.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3938
I never seen this dog until I was away from my door. I've been attacked by dog before and this one put a scare in me.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3939
He ended up being a friendly pup, wagging his tail and even showing me what he thought about the new wheels on the Plymouth by hiking his leg up and taking a leak on one.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3941

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3942

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3940
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:41 am

Here's where I about ran off the road when I seen these cars. It was an old junk yard. I talked to the people in the store up the road and they said that they didn't think he would sell me any parts. I figured that since I was driving the old Plymouth that he just might let me in but he wouldn't even come to the door. The back porch looked like something you see on tv. Shotgun shells and bullits laid with food and whatever else he wanted to leave laying around. I wasn't too sure that I wouldn't fall through the floor just trying to get him out.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3965
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3963
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3964
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3962
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:42 am

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3961
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3960
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3959
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3958
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:43 am

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3957
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3956
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3953
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3952
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:46 am

I figured I was pushing my luck getting too deep into his yard. The thought did pop in my mind about him seeing me snapping pics and hime freaking out. Some people don't like that. I took a little more pics than I felt safe taking then booked it.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3951
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3950
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3949
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3948
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:47 am

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3944

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3945

Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3946
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 7:49 am

This is the one that bugged me the most. I had a pocket full of money and here is a car with every part I needed for my old Plymouth I was driving. Bumpers, gravel pans, trim and some dash goodies. Just sitting rotting away. That stunk!!
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3947
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 8:00 am

For anyone that wants to try to get into this yard all I can tell you is that it is on SR127 in the middle of TN.

I drove hundred of miles on back roads. 40 to 50 mph kept the trip going on and on.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3966

I did come across a little town that had like 3 house in it. This old Gulf Gas Station is now the general store and US Post Office. Stopping in and striking up a conversation with the owner wasn't hard to do. I grabbed a piece of beef jerky and warmed up next to the 5 foot pot belly stove that kept this whole thing heated. Heated very well for that matter. The guy had all kinds of old stuff stashed away inside and was telling me his fish tails. No kidding he really was. Going into these places and being friendly is like being in another country to me. Most places up here want you out and have no time to let you into their personal life. Down south it's like everyone is family and you are always welcome. Why do I live up here again????
Note the confederate flag flyings on a US post office. lol
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3968

Last edited by RebStew on December 9th 2008, 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 8:07 am

After getting dizzy on the curvy backroads I figured it was time to head east to try to hit the highway. I found myself driving through two lane mountain passes and high enough up that my ears would pop. I went up a hill for 25 minutes just cleared the top to see that the next one was higher. This pics was on top of a mountain.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3971
I made it east until I ran into I-75 just south of Jelico Mountain. I hit the highway and headed north.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3972
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3977
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 8:12 am

I made it to the Ky state line and I guess all that slow driving on the country roads let me feeling left behind. Here my cruising speed until I hit London, Ky.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3981
I stopped in at a mom and pop buffet that I hit when I'm down that way but someone turned it into a sports bar. I ate there but the greasy spoon that use to be there had better food.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3979

Across the parking lot is the old trading post so I walked over and picked up some gifts for the kids while I was there.
Steve's mini vacation through the south. DSCF3980
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 9th 2008, 8:22 am

Another two hours north and I made it home. I had a really great time just taking in all the sights and just not driving straight there and back. Everyone needs to get out and see some of the country. I don't mean driving down the highway. Take the less driven path. The Old Plymouth run the 4 states just fine and I never had the hood open one time. It was really cool to me to drive the old car like it was 1949. The thought came to me a few times that on those old roads would have been the way most people would have went on vacations back in 49. Anyone game to a trip to old Mexico for a little TJ Tuck N Roll in my Plymouth. Now that would be a cool trip! Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Steve's mini vacation through the south. Empty Steve's mini vacation through the south.

Post by silveradolady December 9th 2008, 8:58 am

I must say you do have a way with words. Loved the story and the pictures.Very Happy

silveradolady
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next