{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little problem

3 posters

Go down

A little problem Empty A little problem

Post by 6-71Kid October 13th 2008, 3:08 am

Its been a while since I have been on here but know that I have internet at home I should be able to get on more. Know on to the Topic that was planned

I had a little bit of a problem last monday with my car. When I was getting on the highway to go home from work I noticed that I didn't seem to have as much power as I useally would. So I kept giving it some more gas and I eventually got up to 65. I was thinking that maybe I had melted a spark plug wire and lost a cyclinder. The last time I was looking under the hood they seemed a LITTLE to close to the exhaust. So as I'm going down the road I'm staying in the right lane doing just the speed limit because I didn't want to over tax the motor, But I keep noticing that I'm having to give it more and more gas. Before to long I realise that I'm at full throttle and slowing down. At this point I should remind everybody that I have no working gauges in the car other then the speedomitor. When I realize that I'm still slowing down and I've gotten down to 45 I decied to pull over to the shoulder and see if I couldn't at least limp the car to a exit ramp so I don't have to sit on the side of a busy highway. When my speed drops to 35 I started to try and pump the gas pedel in desperation hoping against hope that some how I can get just a little more speed out of here. I'll I am able to achive is that as soon as I lift my foot off the pedal the engines dies. At this point I had just passed the one mile to go to the next exit ramp so I shift the car into neutral and am just barely able to coast to the ramp. At this point I'm sreaming every explitive I know. So after waiting about 5 maybe 10 minutes I decied to pop the hood and see how bad the engine is. I had already tried to start it and realized that the motor wouldn't even turn over. So I the first thing that I try to do is see open the radiator and see if it is boiling. I was able to open the cap with out it spuwing hot coolint over me but I do notice that it about half empty. Then I place my hand on the upper raditor hose and I can feel the coolent boiling in side of it. So after discoverying this I start another stream of explentives. After I calm down a little bit I call my dad and he reminds me that my grandma had got me a AAA membership. So I call them and have them send a tow truck. As I'm waiting for the tow truck I decied to pull the dipstick to check on the oil level. I pull it out and theres not a drop on it. Now I just checked it 2 weeks ago and it was perfectly between the High and Low marks. And it had been about 3,000 miles since I had changed the oil. So know I'm wondering did something cause me to lose the oil and that make the engine over heat or did the engine over heat causing it to burn off the oil. So the tow truck finally showed up and I get the car home. Because I was so frustrated with the car I wait till wednesday to try and start it up and see how bad the actuall damage is. So after it having a hard time cranking over it finally starts but instantly I can tell things aren't right. The motor is definitly not running on all 8 and I can hear some metal clanking sounds. Which are never good.

So the way things stand The motor that I had gotten for my white chop top is know going to be worked over and put in to my DD. Which as it stand right know I need to get a fuel injection controller, gaset kit, fuel pump pressure ragulator, return line, and probally a few other odds and ends. So far the only thing that is on order is the FI controller. If you guys can think of anything else I would need let me know.

P.S. I think this is the most I have ever written in one post.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

A little problem Empty Re: A little problem

Post by big dogs 42 October 13th 2008, 4:37 am

I really wish i could help you Cole but i don't know anything about Gm fulie motors Sad I just change them to carbarators Embarassed You might want to get on the elderbrock tech line i know they have a fuel conversion kit or painless wireing. Sorry i can't help surely there are some Gm gurue's on here Smile !
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 14th 2008, 12:03 am

that stinks Cole. Let me know when you want to switch motors and I'll try to make it up to help.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down