{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

34 fordor

3 posters

Go down

34 fordor Empty 34 fordor

Post by dieseldr November 13th 2014, 2:13 am

Brought this project home to get a start on it, realized there are no body mounts/attachments. Does anyone have any idea how a 34 ford fordor body was anchored to the frame? I think the reason I cannot find any body mounts, is because the previous owner boxed the frame, and now there is no way to get a nut on the bolt within the frame channel. I think I need to remove the running boards and such to get a better look at the frame and lower body before I panic over this. I might be bracing the body and removing it from the frame to get a better idea what is going on. Will also need a steering column and steering gear for this if anyone knows where there is one. And the dash is missing as well. IN advance, thanks for any and all suggestions.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

34 fordor Empty Re: 34 fordor

Post by dieseldr November 18th 2014, 8:32 pm

Studied this one for a while- found out the frame had such a bow in it from the boxing, that when the body was put on, it "wedged" onto the rail on the right side. Welded some tabs on the rails, put a turnbuckle in there, pulled the rails about 3/4 inch before I was able to get the body off. Now I see the RH rail is "rolled" outward at the bottom, so I need to pull that in, as well. Checked into getting a new frame, and that is out of the question. So the "tweaking" will continue, to see if I can get the body back on in a week or two. Then make the decision what rear and front axle/suspension I will be using. I am leading down the road of a 8" ford and conventional leaves out back, and keeping the transverse front end with some mods and juice brakes for sure. Still staying with the 48 flathead, 59A-B model, with the front mounted dizzy, 3 deuces, and hoping to stick with the 3 speed, but could be convinced to use a 4 speed if an adapter can be found.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin November 18th 2014, 8:48 pm

Sounds like they got a little crazy with the heat while welded. You have to be careful without a frame table.
Should be to bad to get it back in shape though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr November 19th 2014, 1:00 am

Made a couple pulls today, waved a little heat around it too. Gonna make one more pull tonight yet, should be all it needs. As long as the body goes on, I can remedy the wheelbase problems with the updates coming. I think... Westcott body has original prints and measurements. I will see how far off I am when finished. Without a table, it will be all it can be by my methods.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr December 11th 2014, 1:58 am

Made some more pulls to get the sides where they might want to be- now the Right rear is an inch and 3/4 too high... Have had some other builders come by and check it out. We tried a couple things- this is just about junk. This frame is tweaked too far. Have done some more research, will be ordering a set of rails. Around $800... far more affordable than a chassis, all new steel, will fit original components, and an original style X member is around $350. I like the sounds of this approach much better. Plus I can square it, set it up under the body, get the mounting holes established for the body, reinforce and stabilize it, then get down to business slowly going around to various locations welding in the key components to hold it together.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew December 11th 2014, 5:01 pm

Shame you couldn't get the rails squared back up. That seems to always be an issue with what I work on. Fixing things that other have ??? FIXED.. Smile
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr December 12th 2014, 12:34 am

As the saying goes.... if it was easy, everyone would do it.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down