{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'34 fordor

4 posters

Go down

'34 fordor Empty '34 fordor

Post by dieseldr July 9th 2011, 3:37 am

Just took ownership of a '34 fordor. Obviously one of the first things needing to be done is hyd brakes. Any suggestions for sourcing the necessary hardware to get this done? I presume I will need '39 up spindles, backing plates, etc to get this done. Keeping the torque tube so I can use the old flathead my dad used to race back in the early 50's. Plan to lower the front, setting the spring behind the axle, not sure if I will retain stock type steering or use a cross steer setup. Looking to find a 3 deuce edelbrock or similar manifold, have a 2 deuce edmunds for swapping stock. Lots of stuff needed, but need to get a plan in mind before getting too carried away buying a bunch of stuff I don't need.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

'34 fordor Empty Re: '34 fordor

Post by Blue Eyed Devil July 9th 2011, 5:42 am

You will need '37-'48 spindles and '39-'48 backing plates, drums & hubs. There are a lot of different combinations, so if you have any specific questions just ask...

Last edited by Blue Eyed Devil on July 9th 2011, 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Number of posts : 759
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew July 9th 2011, 6:07 am

Post up some pics. Like Benny said if you have more questions just toss it out there.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr July 9th 2011, 11:43 pm

Got a lead on a car being parted out, have put dibs on the brakes, but forgot about the spindles..... wil message him back on the spindles. Thanks. Will see if I'm smart enough to post pictures. Hmmmm - should probably get the steering column too.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff July 10th 2011, 6:34 am

If I remember correctly the 41-8 had the biggest brakes and there are a few in a local junkyard,that same yard had a 39 4 door that fell apart but it suddenly disappeared. I also think the 48 to 52 truck bendix style brakes can be made to work but ask Benny (blue eyed devil) since he works with that stuff.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr July 10th 2011, 2:34 pm

Thanks everyone for all the ehlp and suggestions. You don't see a lot of that up here in NY, I guess people up here are afraid if they offer up help then you beat them out of something- I don't know but you folks are a lot easier to talk with. There a re a couple guys up here that are down to earth, and I need to get a hold of the this week to see what they have, but I think I will need to source some of this from you guys. Again,thanks. Greg
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil July 11th 2011, 6:00 am

junkyardjeff wrote:If I remember correctly the 41-8 had the biggest brakes and there are a few in a local junkyard,that same yard had a 39 4 door that fell apart but it suddenly disappeared. I also think the 48 to 52 truck bendix style brakes can be made to work but ask Benny (blue eyed devil) since he works with that stuff.

'39-'48 brakes are all 12", just changes in the drums, hubs, backing plates & adjusters. They can be interchanged though. And yes, F-1 and early F-100 brakes can also be made to fit if you want self-adjusters. Then there are the early Lincoln units. Like I said, lots of combinations - Just depends on balancing what you want, what you can get and how deep your pockets are...

As far as that local sedan goes - fell apart? Nah, just had to get to the good stuff.
Bam VS. '39 Ford? Bam wins! cheers

'34 fordor CIMG0623
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr July 11th 2011, 7:14 pm

Remind me never to make him irritable. I sure hope he is good natured.

By the way, I may have a full complement of fiberglass front and rear fenders and running boards off this '34 I may trade- Need to check NY fender laws, but I think I can do it.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff July 11th 2011, 11:49 pm

Did you come back and take what was left,that pile of a 39 has completely disappeared.
Blue Eyed Devil wrote:
junkyardjeff wrote:If I remember correctly the 41-8 had the biggest brakes and there are a few in a local junkyard,that same yard had a 39 4 door that fell apart but it suddenly disappeared. I also think the 48 to 52 truck bendix style brakes can be made to work but ask Benny (blue eyed devil) since he works with that stuff.

'39-'48 brakes are all 12", just changes in the drums, hubs, backing plates & adjusters. They can be interchanged though. And yes, F-1 and early F-100 brakes can also be made to fit if you want self-adjusters. Then there are the early Lincoln units. Like I said, lots of combinations - Just depends on balancing what you want, what you can get and how deep your pockets are...

As far as that local sedan goes - fell apart? Nah, just had to get to the good stuff.
Bam VS. '39 Ford? Bam wins! cheers

'34 fordor CIMG0623

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil July 11th 2011, 11:58 pm

junkyardjeff wrote:Did you come back and take what was left,that pile of a 39 has completely disappeared.

Nope. Besides there really wasn't anything left. It probably went to the shredder. It won't be long until everything out there is gone. That yard died with Virgil IMO...
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff July 12th 2011, 3:26 am

I noticed they have been cleaning up the other junk that was laying around.me and Doug did the same with a 41 Chevy p/u so I could get a bellhousing. We yanked the front clip and cab off of it and it fell apart.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down