{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

needs some advice

+5
junkyard junky
Lady rebel
JRiggs
LRS30
6-71Kid
9 posters

Go down

needs some advice Empty needs some advice

Post by 6-71Kid March 12th 2008, 12:14 am

Well I've run in to a snag on my chop top and I was wondering. what I should do. I have until April 1 to do something with my chop top or the city's going to start fining me 100 dollars a day until I do something with it. As I see it I have 4 choices.

1. Get one of those portable garages to hide it in so the city can't bitch about it.
2. take it to work and put it in there storage lot.
3. If I can get an engine for it try try and convince my brother to let me use his garage so that I can it running
4. Scrape the car.

Choice 3 would be my first choice but I don't know where or how I could afford an engine right now. Choice 1 would be the next best it would allow me to work on it but I would still have to buy a portable garage. The cheapest one I've found was at Sam's Club http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=141687 for just under $200. Choice 2 wouldn't be all that great because I wouldn't be able to work on my car but it would buy me some time till I could figure what to do with it. Choice 4 only if I can do nothing else with it and is definitely a last resort.

So know I don't know what I'm going to do. I was wondering if you guys have any Ideas or advice for me.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

needs some advice Empty Re: needs some advice

Post by LRS30 March 12th 2008, 12:43 am

Space seems to be a major issue with a lot of us at this point.... Wish I had an answer and more space.....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 12th 2008, 1:33 am

cole,

what do you need.

i know you have rods, pistons and heads correct?

if u can get a motor in it will they stay off your back?
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel March 12th 2008, 2:21 am

How often do you plan on working on it? If your schedule is busy, just store it at work for now. That could also give you more time to get a motor ready for it. Just my opinion..
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid March 12th 2008, 5:49 am

Well for that motor I have I'm going to need all new gaskets and piston rings. also need at least new lifters and I'm not sure what else.

I should be able to work on the choptop a lot more now since I'm out of school. The problem is that now that I'm out of school and have time to work my projects the city has an unrealistic time table set for me.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky March 12th 2008, 6:03 am

How big is the shop where you work at? I would try to store it there if there was a space that was out of the way and not being used.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid March 12th 2008, 6:31 am

Well I wouldn't be able to store it in the shop but they have a fenced in area that I might be able to store it in.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 12th 2008, 1:32 pm

Sounds to me like you need the time and the funds to come up with a good motor. A bunch of unrelated, well used parts isn't going to necessarily make you a good dependable motor. I thought the original plan was to have a blown motor. If you can store it cheap enough so that you can get you a good motor like you want, that seems to me to be the answer. The problems with that are the expense and the old saying "out of sight, out of mind". If you can store it where you work in a fenced in secure area really cheap (free), I’d get a car cover and put it there. Then put your resources toward getting a good motor together (not the going to the Nudie bar LOL). Have you already got the rest of the power train? You got the transmission and convertor you’re planning on using? Do you need a different stall for a blown motor? It seems to me to be a waste of money to build one motor when you really want another. I went through that with my old Ford when I was just out of high school. I wanted one type of motor and kept working my way towards it. I wasted more money than if I would have just did it right away. If you got a plan, try to stick to it. If you really want a chopped top truck, keep on keeping on. If your going to build a blown motor, do it now before your life gets too complicated. Just my $.02
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 12th 2008, 1:55 pm

or let it go. live life, work, have fun, make money and then buy another one and chop it up when you have the place time and cash to do what you want. not having space for stuff only causes hi blood preasure to go higher. moving old cars from one place to another over and over gets old real quick
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 March 12th 2008, 2:51 pm

RebStew wrote: not having space for stuff only causes hi blood preasure to go higher. moving old cars from one place to another over and over gets old real quick
thats good advice there.... Very Happy
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 12th 2008, 3:21 pm

magicman_1968 wrote:
RebStew wrote: not having space for stuff only causes hi blood preasure to go higher. moving old cars from one place to another over and over gets old real quick
thats good advice there.... Very Happy

Not only that, but if it is out of sight, it falls on the list of priorities. If you stumble over it and see it everyday, it haunts you.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid March 12th 2008, 10:42 pm

Well the chop tops not going to get the blower motor anymore. What I'm thinking is makeing the chop my daily driver and put a blower motor in the Elky I'm driving right now, and make it a good street/strip car. I know that I should probally just get rid of the chop top but I don't know when or if I would want to under take a big project like this again but since I've already started this one i think that I should at least try to finnish it. I'm going to see how my money situation is this weekend and I'm going to try and buy that portable garage.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RsvBill March 13th 2008, 2:19 am

did'nt one of the members on here have a Garage for Rent? That may make a 5th option. Another option or thought, most City Ordance state a vehcle can not sit for a perio

d of more than 30 days with out being moved. OT make a long story short I had a neighbor during our first year that had 3 junk carssitting making a nice eye sore for myself and another neighbor.

We could ge no help because they would actually move the vehicle around by pushing them. Thus the City of Independence and our home owner association stated they were doing nothing wrong because the cars were being moved reguardless of not running or condition.

They no longer live next door Thank Goodness

Moral of the Story either you have a pissy neighbor ( like I was ) ( Was ) or find out what exactly the city ord. is reguarding vehicles. Get a few guys and mov ethe vehicle even if it is intoo your driveway or something for a few days.

Just my 2 Cents worth

Bill :pirat:
RsvBill
RsvBill
Scrounger

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2008-02-28

http://picasaweb.google.com/wryanjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content