{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some help/advice

+2
junkyard junky
pbr549
6 posters

Go down

Need some help/advice Empty Need some help/advice

Post by pbr549 November 25th 2010, 4:51 am

I need some help/advice. I had a terrible thing happen to my 1950 Chevy. It caught on fire. Everything from the engine compartment to the back seat was destroyed. The fire department said it loos like the wire for the electric choke got hot, burned from the inside out, and then caught fire when it ran over the fuel line. I dont know what course of action I should take. Is my car salvageable, or is it a total loss? Ive got to act quick though because Im a few weeks from deploying to Afghanistan and I dont want to leave this for my wife to take care of. Here is a pic

Need some help/advice 61279_151838584847215_100000632242526_316013_6053124_n

pbr549
new kid on the block

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Need some help/advice Empty Re: Need some help/advice

Post by junkyard junky November 25th 2010, 5:01 am

I would say it could be repairable. Looks like it didn't get too hot. You can always find fenders and a hood if you need them. If it were me, I would take all the burnt stuff such as the interior out of it. Maybe primer the areas where the paint was burnt and store it out of the way until you get back. I would also check the engine andmake sure there was no water in it after fire dept hosed it down.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 25th 2010, 5:07 am

That sucks dude. It is fixable. Anything is fixable. Just matters if it's worth it to the person doing it. I think the car is cool so I would. Not sure with you getting ready to ship off to the sand pit if you will have time. Fire damage is a pain with the warpage. You have to be pretty good at metal shaping. Worse part to me looks to be the clean up. Everything needs to be stripped and pitched. interior, wiring and anything else that fried.. If it didn't burn too bad inside you may be able to save the seat frames to be redone.
I'm not sure what to tell ya with you getting ready to leave soon. If you don't have a place to store it, it may be a pain. Whatever ya do let us know. If you end up not wanting to mess with it maybe one of us would take it off your hands. If you have a place to store it for a while it would be a good toy to work on to unwind when you get back. Good luck either way and stay safe of in the sand pit when ya leave.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU November 25th 2010, 5:13 am

Thanks for serving.

Unfortunately, if you're in a position wherein you have to pay someone to do the work, it may not be worth it. It's a matter of what the car is worth to you. Almost anything is salvagable, it's a matter money and how far you want it into your bank account.

With only a short time until you deploy, it's not going to get fixed. That would leave your wife with the issue in your absence. Might be best to cut your losses and deploy with a clear mind.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 25th 2010, 5:21 am

I agree somewhat. Don't let it stress you out. You really don't need the mental issues right now. It stinks to say the least. I had one burn up on me. I still have it though. If you have the storge space shove it away, if you like the car. If not then cut it loose. There could always be another ride down the road.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by pbr549 November 25th 2010, 5:31 am

Im going to take this weekend to make up my mind. If I decide to cut my losses, what could I sell something like this for. This is killing me for sure. I definately had plans for this car prior to the fire.

pbr549
new kid on the block

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 25th 2010, 5:38 am

pbr549 wrote:Im going to take this weekend to make up my mind. If I decide to cut my losses, what could I sell something like this for. This is killing me for sure. I definately had plans for this car prior to the fire.
No one should price your stuff other than you. You know what it's worth and what it could be worth fixed. You have to take that into account. I wouldn't let anyone low ball ya just because you are shippig out. Just think about it and make sure you are want to let it go. There is no place you could store it for free untill you get back? Storage yards are $$$ and sitting outside with a fire car is not going to work. There won't be anything left when you return. The elements will eat it alive. Be nice to have an old barn or something to stick it in. Either way keep us updated.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by pbr549 December 4th 2010, 4:13 pm

Alright Ive decided to sell her. I have put her on craigslist. If your interehttp://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2090362678.htmlsted, here is the web addy.

pbr549
new kid on the block

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 December 4th 2010, 4:18 pm

falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pbr549 December 4th 2010, 4:43 pm

Thanks falconwagon62

pbr549
new kid on the block

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 11th 2010, 10:33 am

So what happened to this Chevy?
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs December 11th 2010, 2:26 pm

says he has a set of skirts to go with it stewart there u go he might be willing to part with those...will they fit
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 11th 2010, 6:10 pm

Yeah. they would fit. 49 and 50 are the same. I email him last week but never heard anything back.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down