{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1953 Nash Rambler

4 posters

Go down

1953 Nash Rambler Empty 1953 Nash Rambler

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:03 pm

Starting this thread to show the progress on my new addition to the family. A 1953 Nash Rambler. The plan so far, is to update the car. So it will be more drivable by today's standards, than it was back in 1953. (no offense to you traditional guys) All I can tell you so far is it should have power brakes, power steering, and all the amenities as a late model car. The body will have a mild custom touch. Today Steve and I took alot of measurements. We may subframe it in order to shoehorn in a small block Chevy. At 2700 pounds it should run good. We took some stuff off so I can clean it here at the house.

1953 Nash Rambler HPIM1080

Last edited by RebStew on September 18th 2008, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

1953 Nash Rambler Empty Re: 1953 Nash Rambler

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:05 pm

Steve is going to flip the headlight bucket into the inside of the fender and french the headlights. As deep as it sits stock, it should have a good tunneled look.
1953 Nash Rambler HPIM1084
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:06 pm

Amy is fed up with me working on my own cars and not getting her Nash done. I was going to use the S10/Blazer for a donor car and put everything from it onto the Nash. the floors, frame and the entire drivetrain. I was talking to a guy that knew someone that tried this swap. after talking to him I figured that maybe the frame swap wasn't a good idea. I told Amy what he had said and let it go at that. few nights later Steve Vickers was sitting in the garage and told us that his brother had an engine for sale. 2.5 Iron Duke 4 banger. I wasn't going to mess with the Nash till my Truck was finished. I have too many projects in the works to start on hers. so you guessed it.. she bought the engine off Randy.

Last edited by RebStew on September 18th 2008, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:07 pm

Rebstew wrote:this is the car it came out of. low milage engine that another friend of mine bought for his 16 year old son. the son wanted a V8 and so it was sold and moved around till Randy bought it. he's turning it into a race car so out came the Iron Duke.
1953 Nash Rambler Picture180
Randy pulled the engine and trans with everything still hooked up. I even have the factory breather hose that hook to the firewall. I'm still not getting involved with the Nash right now I told Amy. I told her she could clean the engine up take off the smog crap and get it ready for this winter and I would mess with it after it got cold out.
1953 Nash Rambler Picture181
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:08 pm

the boss of the household has spoken and made it clear that I 'm not messing with the Nash till I get my other projects done..Right?? well guess what I was doing most of Saturday? cleaning out my storage garage so the the real head of household can work on her Nash..I had everything that was at the barn in storage in one of the bays at the garage down the street. out came half of the stuff I had and the rest fixed so there would be room. I gave stuff away to a few people. good trannies, new bumpers and a slew of car parts. too bad you guy wasn't around you may have taken a car load home with ya. a pile of scrap big enough that I painted a sign on the decklid of a trans am that said free scrap. one of the many junk men we have stopped by to get it. few radiator, big block crap. it all had to go to make room for the Nash. maybe one day this week I will go get it for her so she can work on it some. not making any deadlines for the car to be on the road. I'm still looking at next summer
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:10 pm

snapped some pics of Amy cleaning the grease on the engine so she can paint it
1953 Nash Rambler Picture184
1953 Nash Rambler Picture185
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:10 pm

1953 Nash Rambler HPIM1039
found this pic while looking through some files
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 12th 2007, 7:11 pm

46underconstruction wrote:is there anything special about the motor that u are putting in it. I've never heard of an iron duke 4 cylinder untill now.
It's a pontiac designed 4 banger. The design was changed a bit but GM put them in everything in the mid 80's but the first design was all Pontiac. All the 4 banger Fiero's and early S10 had them. When Pontiac first came out with them it was a craze for speed parts. Haven't seen any on ebay this week but they made everything for them aftermarket. Headers, cams, multi carb & 4 barrel carb intakes, blower set ups and everything chrome you can put on one. these early engine seem to run forever. I've had a few. Even had a 16' boat with an Iron Duke in it. It ran good. This one will be left alone unles she find some chrome goodies for it. It runs too good to rip it apart for a cam. It does have a split exhaust manifold on it now so two pipes will be poking out the rear.

Last edited by RebStew on September 18th 2008, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid May 21st 2008, 2:55 am

So has anything been going on with this
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel May 21st 2008, 3:01 am

Nope It's been keeping the woods and Steve's 52 Chevy company. If I knew how to work on it and had the space for it. I would!! Steve's been busy with his 34 for awhile now and i'm sure the Falcon will be next in line. Maybe a winter project. Thanks for asking Cole.
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew September 23rd 2008, 4:38 pm

Not much progress on the Nash but we, Chad, Corey and myself did stick it back on the tow dolly and shoved it into the garage in Newport.
I was a little worried about snakes so the car was moved around and then the next day it was blasted with some roach fogger inside of it while being tarped. The spiders and all the other woodland critter were falling out of the car cover dead when we took it off the next day. I don't think any mice, snakes or bugs stayed too long with the foggers going off in it. If they did they are no longer with us here on earth. lol. I yanked the hood off before we dropped it off at the garage. Hopefully we can get the drivetrain out of it soon.
1953 Nash Rambler DSCF3245
1953 Nash Rambler DSCF3246
1953 Nash Rambler DSCF3248
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel September 23rd 2008, 7:25 pm

It was a true surpise to have it so close to home now. Or as Chad would say "do you really think it's here". Chad kept telling me the bird was coming to the garage. With football, cheerleading, cruise ins, I hope to get up to work on it soon. Thanks guys! Thanks a big bunch Steve!!
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew September 23rd 2008, 10:12 pm

RebStew wrote:
1953 Nash Rambler DSCF3246
That sure would be a cool model A dash Very Happy
RebStew