{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom

3 posters

Go down

M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom Empty M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom

Post by John B September 5th 2012, 8:38 pm

** Keep in mind that I was a wee lad when this was told to me, so a few details might be a tad fuzzy. I know the important parts though. **

Ferris Fly was a Texan who relocated to Kentucky in the 50’s to live on our family farm near what is now Carter Caves State Park. He had married my Dad’s sister and when he retired from the military it seemed like a good place for them to settle down.

Going back a few years. Uncle Fly, as we called him, had served in Europe and Northern Africa during the Second World War. On June 6, 1944 he found himself on a landing craft as it tried to get close to the beach. Best I remember of the story somewhere in the fray he either he lost his issued rifle or it became damaged. Wanting to survive he picked up the nearest one he could find. This M1 Carbine. I recall him saying it was in really good shape at the time. Looking like it hadn’t been in the hands of the previous (at the time probably deceased) soldier very long. Over the course of the next few weeks he kept the carbine till he could get another gun issued or maybe he just found one that was more suited to his needs. Being a career soldier I’m sure he knew some tricks but how ever he did it the gun made it stateside.

I recall the rifle taking up space in the gun rack in his and my aunt’s living room. He hardly ever fired it, using it once in awhile to shoot a pesky ground hog in the garden. When Fly took ill and passed on in 1984 the M1 was given to my dad by Aunt Geraldine. When Dad passed away it moved into my possession. I’ve shot it a few times and done my best to keep it clean. It didn’t have an easy life when my uncle carried it. Can you imagine the stories it could tell?

M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom DSCF1505

M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom DSCF1508

Soon, I may have to put it on the market. Mom’s car needs a transmission and right now I’m tapped out. Until the I guess I’ll put it in the gun rack (the same one that hung in my aunt and uncles living room) and admire it.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom Empty Re: M1 Carbine - Family Heirloom

Post by Brownie September 5th 2012, 10:56 pm

That is cool! Hang on too that bad boy as long as you can. When it is gone the stories won't be the same.
Brownie
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew September 6th 2012, 2:38 am

Nice! I always wanted one. Maybe one of these days.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down