{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Car Show

+6
JRiggs
Brownie
Arieldouglas
Roller Coaster
FalconEddie1964
Reb Stew
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newport Car Show Empty Newport Car Show

Post by Reb Stew August 20th 2012, 8:33 pm

What a friggin' joke! I am very proud to say that the Scroungers Car Club did the Newport Car Show for a few years. The second year we had more cars than ever before and the numbers have never been beat. We hold the record. The club that puts on the Newport Car Show now really set me on fire with how they do things. I haven't seen any advertising and word of mouth is 0... I had to ask the Chief of Police if they was going to have it. They are... Here's where it gets me ticked off. To me it doesn't matter what you drive. If you have a love for cars you are a gear head and that's just the way it is. Our Advance Auto rep that handles our commercial account is in a car club. Granted they are younger guys that are into rice. Jap cars etc . Some of these guys have really nice cars. One has some car that he has 100K invested in it. So anyway the club comes to Keith's club, Profile Racing and says they are having issues and need help with the Newport Car Show this year. They talk about it and then set up a meeting. Profile Racing hand picked 35 of their members for this meeting. Everything looked great. They would help them out by judging and other things. It was a go. Profile Racing was honored to be able to help. They got all the members together and told them that they needed to come to the show for support. The 35 members that were hand picked to help started doing art work for their own shirt at their club price. They were going to pay it out of their pocket. 1 week before the show and the club that puts on the Newport Car Show gives the guys at Profile Racing a call and tells them they don't need their help. They were too young to know how it works and they wouldn't be able to judge older car. Don't bother coming. Evil or Very Mad So as one of the guys from Profile Racing explained it, they felt like they were telling them they were too stupid to do it.
Here's the kicker. Racing Profile boast membership at over 360. You guessed it, these guys just screwed up and cost the Newport Car Show 360 plus cars at the show. This could have been Newport number breaker year. While I love the idea of The Scroungers CC holding the record it doesn't bother me to see it broke. Having a huge show is what it's about! I think we did the best shows Newport ever had and it looks like ever will unless these new guys gets their heads out of their rear end! Their club has bad mouthed us for the last 3 year and hung on our coat tails to drag them through. Everything they do now is stuff we started and let them take it over. All the drama with them and now screwing Profile Racing has left me in a state that I'm done with them and anything they do.

So with all that I won't be putting any car in the show. I'm boycotting it. I may walk down there but I won't drive in. What a shame.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Newport Car Show Empty Re: Newport Car Show

Post by FalconEddie1964 August 20th 2012, 9:55 pm

The couple of years I was involved was a lot of fun. Couldn't get too involved in a lot of it because of the distance but judged the the Top 25 and/or the Top 50 once with Junkyard Jeff and once with my daughter. It was some work and a lot of walking but was a lot of fun. I think a few people my NOT have liked our picks but the neat thing about being from outside the area, we didn't know anyone so it wasn't a deal where we picked friends' cars. There weren't any politics. Some would probably be upset if they knew what the criteria was that we used but it's all water under the bridge now.
It's not the number of cars, it's how tall the trophies are! That and how good the hamburgers are. LOL
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster August 20th 2012, 10:25 pm

FalconEddie1964 wrote:Some would probably be upset if they knew what the criteria was that we used but it's all water under the bridge now.
lol!
FalconEddie1964 wrote:It's not the number of cars, it's how tall the trophies are!
cheers
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 21st 2012, 5:39 am

I've seen some other posts about "the other guys running the show". They have to be idiots. We used to have the "Slammin' an' Jammin' Show" in Lebanon. It was mostly ricers with bags and lots of compressed air and CRAZY sound systems. But these guys put on a great show and lots of local hotrodders went to support them even if it wasn't really their thing. You could still pick up some differant ideas. Our former police chief (who got fired for pulling a gun on a fire chief) made things so hard on those people they finally pulled out and took their three day show somewhere else. There went a lot of good will and money right down the road. Evil or Very Mad
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Brownie August 21st 2012, 12:15 pm

Arieldouglas wrote:I've seen some other posts about "the other guys running the show". They have to be idiots. We used to have the "Slammin' an' Jammin' Show" in Lebanon. It was mostly ricers with bags and lots of compressed air and CRAZY sound systems. But these guys put on a great show and lots of local hotrodders went to support them even if it wasn't really their thing. You could still pick up some differant ideas. Our former police chief (who got fired for pulling a gun on a fire chief) made things so hard on those people they finally pulled out and took their three day show somewhere else. There went a lot of good will and money right down the road. Evil or Very Mad
You are right on ! They are just as proud of there car as we are of ours.
Brownie
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster August 21st 2012, 1:18 pm

Arieldouglas wrote:Our former police chief made things so hard on those people they finally pulled out and took their three day show somewhere else.

A similar situation has happened to a countless number of shows in the Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg area. I wouldn't participate in a show in that area unless I absolutely positive that I wouldn't have to leave the show grounds. It is unfortunate that the many true, good hearted automobile enthusiast are judged by the few whatever you want to call them.
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs August 23rd 2012, 4:52 am

whos that guy up front bottom left with the hat on white shirt..... lol

http://go2newport.com/dev/
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 23rd 2012, 5:40 am

JRiggs wrote:whos that guy up front bottom left with the hat on white shirt..... lol

http://go2newport.com/dev/
Poor Denny. After 2 years I see they still can't get a good picture so they use the ones from when we did it. That was early in the day before it got too crazy.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs August 23rd 2012, 6:03 am

yup....

i did a google search just to see if any advertising was being done. all i seen was this and the rest was from WHEN THE SCROUNGERS HOSTED IT. Very Happy
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by relaxednoma August 23rd 2012, 6:31 pm

ahhh yes. I actually came into the profiled association, by...well accident. I saw the post on the FB group, which primarily is the group that gathers at the "bumspot" down by P&G, of which they are pretty successful and the po po understand and let them be for the most part. I had no ideal I was going to Jerry's house in Alexandria, nor that Dave (Barone) and Gary (Mulligan), both of which are friends of mine in some fashion (dave trailered the sonoma to cavalcade for me the 1st 2 years because he knew how much work I'd put into the truck in a short time) and Gary was my AutoTech instructor @ CE McCormick circa high school days.

Anywho. I was shocked to walk up and see them there, had quite an impressive showing of folks from the profiled group, although I explained that I know many of them, I just hang out now and again, but saw the oppourtunity to...give back.. to the local community for once, especially as time becomes more scarce (I'm ebarking on what could be a semi life changing exp. with a build on the sierra if things fall into place) along with family and such. Saw it as an opp. to provide some help to a show...that obviously needs it, as I know it'll never be the same from the days of the Scroungers running it. Which was my favorite time at the show thus far.

yeah, we were each paying for shirts, identifying us as judges, along with "profiled" etc.

Hell I even stayed after, after the profiled group left from Jerry's and caught with Dave and Gary, mainly as I hadnt seen them, hold for them DJing the Furniture Fair show that my buddies parents and he put on (Buds J&M etc). Figured they'd deserved to know about my mom passing away the 29th of July and were i was/how life was going for me. Gary was happy to learn that I still wrench on trucks and cars, but that I'd followed what he thought would be the ideal path into the, as he calls it "computer world" lol. Nice conversation with the lot of them, Jerry, his wife, another guy (forget his name), his wife along with Dave and Gary.

Ah well. the only reason I'm going is because I committed to my friend Eric (Neal) and his dad Pat (Neal) who are taking their 69 Chevelle BB car and 52 orange truck (I put it in cavalcade this year next to the sonoma). And we are parking in front of Dixie Chili. Had it not been for that, I'd not be going.

I know it will come up at some point, between dave and or gary and myself.

I find it insulting to a group of younger folks (And lets face it, I'm just under 30 lol) compared to most that will be and are judging the show.

I do however feel that I'd have been a great assistance with my knowledge of....well pretty much anything automotive, along with the countless shows I've been at, helped with and several that I've judged.

It will be interesting to say the least. Ah well.

relaxednoma
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl August 25th 2012, 1:45 am

Thats a bunch of bull. We went to alexandria last night and Like a good little girl I volunteered to pass out the flyers for the Newport car show. Now I wish I hadn't!!!!! Sad That makes me wanna go there and tell everyone what a bunch of Jerks they are. Oh well we will always be the bigger man so to speak. I hope they only have a handful of cars. They were talking how they were expecting over 300 cars. Randy and I looked at each other and said, ya right.
scroungers Rule the rest Drool.
cheers
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 25th 2012, 4:27 am

Laughing I hope they have a good show for Newport's sake. I just don't like the way the club did those guys and some other things that has went on. Like you said we have to be the bigger man and just hope they grow up one day.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 August 25th 2012, 5:38 am

I miss the old show...Falcon's Rule....

Newport Car Show Mike3

Newport Car Show Mike2

Newport Car Show 100_7478

Newport Car Show Smlovcfca

Newport Car Show SmlJohnTeardrop

Newport Car Show Smlupthestreet
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 25th 2012, 1:32 pm

That picture with the crowd still blows me away. I remember trying to get through on the gator to check on some things and the crown was just nuts. Like I said it was a ton of work but it really showed what the club could do. If some of the brass in Newport wouldn't have been such a pain in the butt we would still be doing it and I think it would be running all the way down Monmouth St and up York by now. For whatever reason they didn't want to give us any more room. Evil or Very Mad
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Newport Car Show Empty What a shame

Post by Reb Stew August 26th 2012, 7:05 pm

What a shame.

Amy and I walked though and then as we left we pulled the truck in just to drive down Monmouth and out, just to do it. It's sad to see a show that we had going really good and would only grow every year to become what it is now.
More on this later with pics. Rolling Eyes
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:44 am

While every car show is low in numbers this year the Newport Show was just poor. They had Monmouth covered but none, other than a handful of cars on the side streets. When we did the show the last year we had all of Monmouth, all the parking lots and the side streets from York to Saratoga covered. On the side streets there were a few spots that were open but not many. If their club doesn't get on the ball it will only get worse. I have heard all week people were boycotting the show due to the club doing it. People told me today that they heard a bunch of guys at yesterdays Cynthiana, Kentucky Show that they were boycotting it. We went to the cruise in in Falmouth today and was talking to the guy that put it on. He was worried that no one was going to show up because of Newport's show. About that time his granddaughter walked up and she was on the phone with a group and ask if they were going to make it this year because of the Newport show. Guess what they said? They were boycotting it! Now while I may be the wrong person to say anything it's sad to see this happen. Just because you own some DJ crap doesn't mean you are a car show person. Sorry Gary and Dave but that's just the way it is.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:45 am

This was the last year we did it. I have a few pics like this were you couldn't even see the cars because of the crowds.
Newport Car Show 100_7478

Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:48 am

Same spot today at almost the same time.
Newport Car Show 09910
Newport Car Show 10010
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:53 am

Side streets and parking lots.

Newport Car Show 11010
Newport Car Show 11110

Last edited by Reb Stew on August 27th 2012, 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:54 am

Newport Car Show 11210
Newport Car Show 11310
Newport Car Show 11410
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:56 am

Newport Car Show 11810

Newport Car Show 11910
Newport Car Show 12010
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:57 am

Newport Car Show 12210
Newport Car Show 12310
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 6:59 am

As I said they covered Monmouth St but where is the crowd that was once there? this is at the bottom of the street looking up.
Newport Car Show 10810
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 27th 2012, 7:02 am

There were a lot of nice cars that showed up. I'll leave you with these tonight but tomorrow I will show you a few nicer ones. Very Happy

Newport Car Show 10210
Newport Car Show 12110
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas August 27th 2012, 12:15 pm

I know I don't know all that is going on with this other bunch but it seems to me the ones paying the price are Newport and the merchants. How long will it be before Newport decides it's not worth shutting those streets down and just refuses to have the show. Seems to me once the streets are shut down those merchants have to depend on walk-in traffic from the show.
It has been my experiance that it is a lot easier to keep something going than trying to get it re-started after everyone has decided it's not worth it. Instead of boycotting, how do you get these guys to do the right things or just force them out and have someone take it over that will do it right?
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next