{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Car Show Judging

+10
Admin
puddin head
Glenn
FalconEddie1964
RebStew
falconwagon62
Mr. Fabulous
xycho_wraith
Roller Coaster
jacketman
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newport Car Show Judging Empty Newport Car Show Judging

Post by jacketman August 24th 2009, 5:12 pm

Great venue, great weather, great turnout and I had a great time. I have a question about judging. Neither I nor any of my friends ever saw anyone look at their car or any of the cars parked near them. I'm curious how you chose Top 40 winners and specialty awards when nobody saw any cars being judged? I'm not mad or upset, just curious about the process.

jacketman
new kid on the block

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Newport Car Show Judging Empty Re: Newport Car Show Judging

Post by Roller Coaster August 24th 2009, 5:34 pm

I am not 100% sure how the Scroungers chose top fourty awards or specialty awards with a show of that magnatude, but I can say that I did see people with clip boards visually inspecting vehicles in a fashion that judges would throughout the day.

By the way, I thought that the Scroungers Car Club did an excellent job hosting this event!
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith August 24th 2009, 5:38 pm

i personally was assigned 2 categories and looked for what caught my eye big time in them categories

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jacketman August 24th 2009, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand correctly, each and every car was not judged, only those deemed worth consideration by the judges. In all my years of car shows, I've never been to a show where all cars are not judged, but it is what it is. Great show and I'll be back.

jacketman
new kid on the block

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous August 24th 2009, 8:19 pm

The Top 40 was picked by a team of non-biased, non-local, non-politically involved individuals that were instructed to look at every car and pick the top cars in their eyes. The team has attended large car shows/events (i.e. GG’s Indy, Columbus. etc) all over the tri-state area so viewing cars was not a new experience and they were not easily impressed with sparkly paint or big shiny wheels. The team was comprised of non local individuals that have not attended any of the local shows or cruise ins so favoritism would not be an issue. Cars from all genres were selected and it didn’t matter if the vehicles were in primer or sported thousands of dollars worth of paint. There was a list made for Chevys, Fords, and other models so no one brand was shown favoritism. The cars were chosen from the entire field of entries (some would have made the list but they were either not registered or the registration was not displayed). Early and late model cars were viewed equally as well as foreign and special interest type cars. On the first pass entries that stood out to them were noted buy registration number, make and model, and why they made the list. Then, from all these picks the team deliberated until the Top 40 were chosen. There were alternates picked because it was decided that no one person could win in two categories. This list of winners and alternates was then turned into the administration to check the winners in other categories to insure that there were no double winners. It is my opinion that when the winners were announced and the trophy was awarded, the person should have said what type, make, model, color, etc car they had. There wasn’t a lot of rocket science involved in picking the winners (a lot of walking and arguing was though), after all it’s a car show trophy and it’s all supposed to be FUN, the judging and the winning. That’s my $.02
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith August 24th 2009, 8:35 pm

very well put
the part of not saying what the car was has been brought up a lot
i also think we could had gotten someone with a better speaking voice i was behind him 10 feet or so and could hardly understand a word and I'm not the only one that thought that as well

as far as looking at every car i was jugging best Chevy and best motor
so if your motor wasn't different not chromed out or original i mean different different then i took a pic and walked till i saw something wild and blowing my mind walked past 3 street rods to a old chrysler with a wicked intake on it he said it a show car i don't want to be judged i said dude that's wild that's what i want 2 see its got a chance in my book but he wasn't interested Chevy was pretty much down to 4 me like i said different not perfect a chevelle with an iroc louvered hood and everything Frenched and shaved wildest looking chevelle Ive ever seen and the winner a split bumper camaro suicide front end black and orange tweed seats doors exet it just did it 4 me i was 30 feet away taking pics and said i thinks that's prob the best Chevy here its not something Ive seen b4 and that's what i was looking 4

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith August 24th 2009, 8:43 pm

i wish it wasn't such a job 2 post pics on here or i would i took over 300
my faves was
the green 57 ford poison ivy
the old Chevy candy cane wow
old 1920 ford truck guy dressed the part had the name willy ray on the door it was neat
the camaro i picked
the chevelle i mentioned
a old full 100 % 50s custom everything on the car said caddy but the tag said Buick wow what a car
there was a dam near mint 1980 z28 blue wow it was purty no tag in the window
couple nice s10s
so on so on

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 August 24th 2009, 8:59 pm

jacketman wrote:Great venue, great weather, great turnout and I had a great time. I have a question about judging. Neither I nor any of my friends ever saw anyone look at their car or any of the cars parked near them. I'm curious how you chose Top 40 winners and specialty awards when nobody saw any cars being judged? I'm not mad or upset, just curious about the process.

I saw them judging, even the mayor! I have go cars, not a show cars....so if I get a award, I am shocked, I brought 2 cars and bought split the pot, just to give my money to the club to be used for a good local cause, unless it's a piont judging system, it's up to what they like, like the Pumpkin Run 3000+ cars how do you pick!!!...to bad my Pinto C4 wasn't fixed, Best of show FOR SURE!!!!

cheerscheers lol!

Newport Car Show Judging DSJune12009
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 25th 2009, 1:06 am

We can't do a 100 point judging card with only a few hours to get through them. I think the team did a great job. Like Kenny said if they had to pick best engine it is up to that judge. We had a couple of trophies per judge. So they only had to look at certain types of cars. If he were looking for a wild engine then a SBC with just a chrome kit wouldn't have been worth the time to stop and look over and under ect ect. When he gets to say a Hemi with a blower and everything chromed to the max then he stopped and worked the numbers for the class. There were 3 cars picked for each trophy and the best recieved the trophy unless he had already won another one. If that was the case then it would go to the second car number.
All registered cars were judged but if you blinked you my have missed us. We had alot of cars and not alot of time.
There were alot of nice cars that I wish we could have gave trophies to but we don't have the money to buy over 200 trophies and the time to get through them.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 August 25th 2009, 1:29 am

Agreed, who has time to point judge, plus again, I don't go to shows to win, I am sure there are 1000's of nicer cars than mine, I do it for the brotherhood, and enjoying the fellowship of all involved, and looking at the cougars!
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 August 25th 2009, 2:31 am

Man, that black Ford is a Winner!
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 August 25th 2009, 2:36 am

Hey, what are these little + and - signs for? I just clicked on one and it said my vote had been cast. What vote and where?
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn August 25th 2009, 2:56 am

thats why I do not judge don't want that on my shoulders but some of the local cars were definaitly in the top 40 for sure but I guess they got over looked because we see them more than others??? Not a buick fan at all but Tony Shields car not in top 40!! I guess. that car should have been in the top 20 hands down just my opinion coming from a chevy guy
Glenn
Glenn
Scrounger

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 25th 2009, 3:10 am

I was little shocked and really don't understand how he ended up with nothing. It goes to show you that with as many cars as we had everyone can not be a winner. Like John I'm not into the trophies but the cars. I have fun just hanging out.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn August 25th 2009, 3:30 am

I had a great time hanging out with everyone try n to help as much as possible THANKS to everyone who made this possible! Not gripe n about the judging just think some locals got over looked! and when trophies were passed out should have said color year make model no one knew what won just who
Glenn
Glenn
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 August 25th 2009, 6:00 am

I really thought that was one of the unique things about having someone judge that doesn't know what ones are local and what ones are your friends. Guess if you don't want someone impartial it's time for someone else. There where problems last year too because of who won and who didn't. I thought it was supposed to be fun and that's the light it was done in. The fellow with the 56 Nash was soooo happy. He just lite up. It was the same for quite a few that won trophies that didn't expect too. I'm sorry if your friends and locals didn't get picked. I guess trophies aren't that big a thing to me. Maybe next year someone who knows everybody should do the picking. I've seen that happen and it gets ugly real quick. I've see it almost lead to violence from the Trophy Hounds. My daughter had a really good time looking at all the cars and asking questions of the owners and accepting the responsibility. They had no idea at that time we were picking the Top 40. It was a real good experience for her because she needs more help coming out of her shell. It helps with her self confidence and in fighting her disabilities. Be more than happy to do it again next year but if someone is going to be upset because a Nash wins and a Buick doesn't. I guess it's time for a change. Either that or supply a list of the winners before everything gets started.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 25th 2009, 7:57 am

No need to get wound up Doug. Some things you say go too far. That is not what Glenn or myself were refering to. You did a fine job. Just stop taking everything to heart.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by puddin head August 25th 2009, 1:06 pm

Sharonville has their show every year in downtown and it constantly is heard that the winners have already been picked prior to the event and it may be, but like John and Steve I just enjoy all the cars and people that are there. I am always suprised when I win something like a door prize, a bottle of hot sauce or even a trophy. It is just plain fun and so are the people. Lots of laughs and a great day out with motorheads. If you want a trophy then build a show car and go on tour if that is your cup of tea.
puddin head
puddin head
Scrounger

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous August 25th 2009, 5:40 pm

FalconEddie1964 wrote:Hey, what are these little + and - signs for? I just clicked on one and it said my vote had been cast. What vote and where?

Still haven't heard anybody pipe up on what these little symbols mean/do. If I keep clicking on them, will I blowup?
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous August 25th 2009, 5:46 pm

Next year if thing happens, I'll have to register. That way maybe I'll have a parking spot and won't have to park in the Police lot to light fire affraid (Madonna sure scolded me when see saw where we were parked) , and I'll have a number and maybe win a trophy cheers . I wanted to give one to the Wiener Mobile but thought that might be a stretch. jocolor Besides, I didn't figure it was registered.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 25th 2009, 6:13 pm

Mr. Fabulous wrote:
FalconEddie1964 wrote:Hey, what are these little + and - signs for? I just clicked on one and it said my vote had been cast. What vote and where?

Still haven't heard anybody pipe up on what these little symbols mean/do. If I keep clicking on them, will I blowup?
It is for someone liking or disliking a post. If you like it then click + if no then - . It's a reputation bar.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew August 25th 2009, 6:17 pm

Mr. Fabulous wrote:That way maybe I'll have a parking spot and won't have to park in the Police lot to light fire affraid (Madonna sure scolded me when see saw where we were parked)
You came in late. There were a few parking spots on down if you would have drove through. Lighting fire in the Newport Police Department's brand new paved lot did not go over well.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 August 25th 2009, 10:06 pm

puddin head wrote:Sharonville has their show every year in downtown and it constantly is heard that the winners have already been picked prior to the event and it may be, but like John and Steve I just enjoy all the cars and people that are there. I am always suprised when I win something like a door prize, a bottle of hot sauce or even a trophy. It is just plain fun and so are the people. Lots of laughs and a great day out with motorheads. If you want a trophy then build a show car and go on tour if that is your cup of tea.

Cougars and cars! That's what I like.....

Oh yea, where's my free hot sauce????:!: Sold the gasser, and I didn't get paid for my parts....HOT SAUCE I demand payment!!!Shocked
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous August 25th 2009, 11:43 pm

RebStew wrote:You came in late. There were a few parking spots on down if you would have drove through. Lighting fire in the Newport Police Department's brand new paved lot did not go over well.

I told you I probably would be. I thought there was supposed to be a spot saved.........

I don't think I hurt their lot. I didn't see any maks or holes. Maybe I should be expelled! 😢

Whatever.............

Oh yeah, give me a negative. cheers
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Back to top Go down

Newport Car Show Judging Empty judging

Post by Glenn August 26th 2009, 12:20 am

i did not intend to tick no 1 off!!! just was curious if some local cars got over looked becuase we c them more than the others? plus i don't really know him he just had one of the nicer cars there period.I had a great time just my opinion so don't get your feathers ruffeled please Surprised
Glenn
Glenn
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next