{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

54 F100 project

+5
RebStew
Truxter Fordly
SMOKNZ
falconwagon62
dieseldr
9 posters

Go down

54 F100 project Empty 54 F100 project

Post by dieseldr October 6th 2011, 3:58 am

I've had my 54 F100 for a couple years now and finally got some time to start in on the metmorphosis. It'll be a little out of the ordinary, since it will run on the other fuel. Tried to participate on another website's forum, which I won't mention, but got booted- I guess they don't allow certain topics in general discussion, it's their site so be it. Anyhow, I thought true rodders supported the creativity of others regardless of the "political correctness" of the project. They don't have to like it, even though it is an old standby like an old Fseries being repowered by an Isuzu turbodiesel. I thought it was time to build a toy that got good mileage, and this looked like a good reliable alternative to play with and get some MPG at the same time. Anyway, the engine and trans sets down nice in the engine bay, the crossmember tucks up nice between the engine and trans, just got to get a tranny crossmember in it now. That Isuzu auto OD is a pretty big unit and will require a bit of thought to get it hung in there just right. Haven't addressed the radiator issue yet, but the driveshaft will probably be on the order of about 4 feet long due to the tranny length. When I get some things buttoned up on it, and a little cleaner, I'll see if I can post some pictures of it. I'm pretty excited about getting it going and moving.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

54 F100 project Empty Re: 54 F100 project

Post by falconwagon62 October 6th 2011, 4:57 am

love the f trucks....yes...pics please...
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ October 6th 2011, 6:16 am

Sounds like a good project, let us know how everything is going and we love to see your pictures when you get some.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Truxter Fordly October 7th 2011, 12:29 am

You won't get booted for creativity on these boards! Bring on the pictures......
Truxter Fordly
Truxter Fordly
OH Chapter President

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 7th 2011, 1:12 am

Pics cheers
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 October 7th 2011, 2:05 am

Cool What a Face
Chris55
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 7th 2011, 3:29 am

Give me a couple days and you can see the ol' junker- with its little oil burner all tucked in under the hood. Just got to figure out a tranny crossmember. Looking for a source for a tubular brace with a rubber insert on the end that I can weld to a plate on each side- bolt one end to the tranny, other to two ears on the frame. Want to keep a rubber bushed tranny mount. (Might even sneak a couple pics of the '34 fordor and maybe a mustang or two!)
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr October 8th 2011, 4:57 am

I think its awesome, I have 3 55 F100's and would like to do a Diesel conversion intp one but need more garage space in order to do so. Im a Diesel nut too, I have a Duramax and Cummins powered trucks to plus some other toys. Cant wait to see pics.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 8th 2011, 2:57 pm

Got a tranny crossmember in it now so I can move it. Kind of an odd situation- A customer is having me do some R & D for him, unrelated to mechanicals, but he built this 35 x 75 shop, finished it, heated it, and tossed me a key saying "use it like it's your own" so I have been. Anyway, it's ten miles away, and for the winter, its a bit inconvenient to work on the 54 when I have spare time, so the engine and tranny are set in it, now I can move it to my garage at home so I can work on it at my leisure. At this point I will move my 2 69 Mach I's over to the other shop for winter storage so I have some space. Very thankful to have this opportunity available. Anyway, I have discovered recently that the "JATCO" trans with the Isuzu is an electrically controlled speed sensitive shifted auto with no load sensing, and the word on the street is it is a p--- poor excuse for a tranny, so now my plan changes- I am researching and planning the changeover to either a C-6 (preferred) or a toploader using an adapter from Phoenix adapters for Ford trans. Listing shows it for an auto application, but once the adapter is in place, what does it care wether it has an auto or stick behind it. I am trying to find out if it uses the small block, FE, or big block pattern, but it matters not to me- I have an adequate supply of C-6's no matter what they used for a pattern. Furthermore, I presume I will need to have a throttle position oriented vacuum regulating valve, similar to what was used on the 80's ford F and E series trucks to variate the vacuum to the modulator. The Isuzu uses an alternator with a vacuum pump on the back side of it, so there is my vac source, not needing to use a 6.9 belt driven vac pump. Cleans up the engine compartment, but I still have the ability to switch to that if I need to.

Have some pictures ready to load, but my tech guru wife hasn't set them up in a file yet to send.

I have worked on the 6.9's, the 7.3's and a little PS experience, but all of my experince is on the big stuff- on and off highway, with a lot of fill in work on small industrial, power generating, ag, compact tractor and the like. Have neighbor here with a 4 cyl Mercedes he bought for his sawmill that he is not going to use anymore. It's for sale now for $1300, but I'm reluctant to buy anymore powerplants till I get this one landed.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 10th 2011, 2:05 am

I guess I'm not smart enough to get you some pictures. Any suggestions? Pictures are IMGP documents. (I think)
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Eyed Devil October 10th 2011, 3:45 am

Save them in a photobucket account and post them from there.
Blue Eyed Devil
Blue Eyed Devil
Devils Advocate

Number of posts : 759
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 11th 2011, 2:03 am

Sorry folks, I am challenged to make the photobucket stuff work.

I know I am tech ignorant, but you'll have to visualize on your own, I can't make it happen.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ October 11th 2011, 7:28 am

Go to www.photobucket.com and open an account, then sign in. At the top of the page it will say upload now in a green box. Left click your mouse and Upload Now.

Once this is open, it will say Select photos and videos in a green box. Left click your mouse once again, it will bring up your Downloads or Documents on your home computer. Go to where ever your Pictures are and left click your mouse one time. It will drop down into your file name at the bottom of your box and hit open.

This will download the picture onto your photobucket account. In a long green box, it will state Upload Complete 1 of 1 photo has uploaded to your public album. If you have more to upload, left click Upload More. If you would like to view your picture that you uploaded, left click View Album.

There are other ways to do this, but for the 1st time, I didn't want to confuse you anymore than I had too.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs October 11th 2011, 11:29 am

hey denny u forgot the most important part which link does he post on here..... Smile
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ October 11th 2011, 2:24 pm

JRiggs wrote:hey denny u forgot the most important part which link does he post on here..... Smile

Yep,

Alright, once that you get everything uploaded, go back to your Home Page on PhotoBucket and you will have your pics below. Once that you see the the picture/image that you would like to transfer onto the Scroungers site, you will see four (4) links that you can use to transpose the image/picture. Go to where it says IMG code (to the right, it will have a link attached) and take your mouse pad and left click your mouse, it will automatically copy the image code.

I would strongly urge you to open two (2) separate windows up. in other words, open the Scroungers site up, as well as the photobucket site up at the same time. This way, when you copy the picture/image, you can copy the picture/image straight from your photobucket account, to the Scroungers Site in the thread that your getting ready to post the picture in.

Edit 3x's lol! Next you want to apply the picture to the thread. You take your mouse to where you want to apply the picture onto the thread and right click your mouse pad, which will bring up the image code that you saved from your photobucket account. A box will pop up and you will hit paste, which will apply the image onto the thread. You will not need to type anything in, the code will be completed. If you would like to see your picture, you will hit preview on your thread to actually see the image/picture that everyone else will see. If everything looks good, hit post and you will have your end result...

If you need help, I can talk you through it.

SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 12th 2011, 1:15 am

You guys all sound so helpful, and I appreciate your time to help me through this. It's ironic I have such a time, since my brother is a tech freak, programmer and engineer working with computers- go figure. I know if I asked him for help I would have to deal with the wrath of why this shouldn't work and would get a lesson on something else that a nuclear physicist couldn't understand. Right now work is quite demanding on my schedule and mental frame of mind, so give me a little time to catch up and slow down a little so that I can navigate through this without blowing holes thru my computer with my 6.5 x 55. Bear with me, I'll give it a shot in a few days or next week. Hey Rusty Karr, check out phoenix adapters website, they make and sell SAE to GM Mopar and Ford bell housing and flywheel adapters to put off highway/industrial engines into automotive configurations using auto or stick tranny's. Their engineer, Bill, really knows his stuff. I'll be placing an order with them soon as soon as I know which flywheel Isuzu stuck in it.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 13th 2011, 2:29 am

Separated the engine and trans today to measure up for the right SAE to C-6 adapter..... unfortunately the bell on this looks like an SAE, but it ain't. It's Japans answer to SAE bell housing. Close but not close enough. Now I need to make a bell adapter, and a flywheel to torque convertor adapter. Not easy, but not exceedingly difficult. Some steel plate, tubing, a handful of drawings and measurements, and a couple of moderately handy machinists, and We'll be back on track with plan B.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down