{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there any new products that last?

+2
magicman_1968
RebStew
6 posters

Go down

Is there any new products that last? Empty Is there any new products that last?

Post by RebStew February 8th 2011, 6:00 pm

We been having issues with our washer. It's not that old but it's time for a new one. I have been shopping around. It seems like every 2 or 3 years I have to buy something for the house. Before I can buy the washer I now have to get a fridge! It stopped working last night. It's not that old either. What is wrong with this picture? My 1970's fridge in the garage still works and works great! It seems like this stuff is made to be broken after a few years. Hell Joey bought a hot water heater or something like that and it was broke before he got to use it. Just doesn't seem right. Now I'm looking at a bottom price of 900 bucks to get a washer and fridge. Forget about buying what I really want. That would be over $1500.00
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Is there any new products that last? Empty Re: Is there any new products that last?

Post by magicman_1968 February 8th 2011, 7:37 pm

Yea it sucks man...
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Is there any new products that last? Empty Re: Is there any new products that last?

Post by Z-YOU February 8th 2011, 8:56 pm

Nothing actually made in the US. QC on the stuff shipped here is BS. I've had the same experience with appliances. I try to buy high quality stuff and I get junk. Doesn't matter what brand. It's all made in some 3rd world nation. The other issue is that the companies are being run by people with MBA's and the designers are required to run on the razor's edge to save every 1/10 of a penny on every unit built.

Everything you buy now looks good on the outside and is cheap junk with the cheapest components available. They try to design it so it implodes shortly after the warranty expires.

I buy a appliances at Sams when I can cause with my membership they extend the warranty and if I buy a 1 year extension it goes to 2 years from the date the manufacturer warranty expires. Had a TV that went bad last year and it was still covered under the Sams warranty. Cost about $1K to fix.

But anyhow, the answer to your question is NO.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodaaron77 February 8th 2011, 11:43 pm

We had a catastrope last friday a baby sock ended up in the pump of our washing machine since i had no clue on how even to take it apart we paid 180 service call to have it fixed. as he was leaving he asked if we wanted to call him in about a year so he could fix our fridge i explained that our house is only three years old and all of our appliances were new, didnt matter I was schooled by him saying if you dont overload your washer and dryer it should last 20 years the fridge with his advice on placement [had it up close to the wall] should last 30 all of it is whirlpool, people are so busy and try to overwork these tools that they cant keep up, with a family of six i listened and soaked it all in. i would rather spend money on the bird than buying new appliances every so often
hotrodaaron77
hotrodaaron77
Scrounger

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2010-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 February 9th 2011, 12:13 am

Well kinda off subject but good news...when i bought the wifes car new in 05 i got the extended warranty for 100,000 or 6 years...the car has 84,000 on it now and 5 months left on the warranty....took it to the dealer to have a carrier bearing replaced and the ABS was acting up...they called and said the whole drive shaft had to be replaced for some reason and a hub on the front that held the wheel sensor....drive shaft alone not counting labor or the other hub cost 1200.00 bucks...thats one time im glad i took the extended warranty cheers
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 9th 2011, 2:49 am

I bought one for the Yaris too. There is no way I want to work on that Jap car.

Duke, the over loading washer is a problem for sure. I was on the kids about that for 2 months. Then the washer took a puke.

I bit the bullet and bought a new side by side fridge tonight. Bad thing is it won't be here till Friday. I guess I can get by till then. It's cold enough ourside for my Dr Pepper so I'm good. cheers Hopefully it will last. Paid way more than I wanted but still got a great deal for what it is. I left it up to Amy and she wanted the side by side. geek Them having the wrong sale price on it knocked it down a lot. They figured it out but said they would give it to me for that since it was marked for that sale price. Smile
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky February 9th 2011, 3:12 am

magicman_1968 wrote:Well kinda off subject but good news...when i bought the wifes car new in 05 i got the extended warranty for 100,000 or 6 years...the car has 84,000 on it now and 5 months left on the warranty....took it to the dealer to have a carrier bearing replaced and the ABS was acting up...they called and said the whole drive shaft had to be replaced for some reason and a hub on the front that held the wheel sensor....drive shaft alone not counting labor or the other hub cost 1200.00 bucks...thats one time im glad i took the extended warranty cheers

I have a friend that works at the local ford dealership. He says that the employees bring their cars inside the building and put them on the rack so it looks like the dealership is busy. Very Happy . Just about all the wheel bearings have the abs sensor on the. Dealerships are way too expensive. dad took his diesel there to have the oil changed for the first time. $113 total. I thought they used synthetic but they just used reg oil. Sad

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid February 10th 2011, 2:16 am

It used to be when they build stuff that stuff had at least were 50% overrated for what they would need to do.

So lets take a look at a washer bearings. Lets say that you need to have them hold up under a 100 pound load spinning unbalances. It used to be that they would use one that could hold up to at least 150 pound load. now they will use one that is only good for a 90-80 pound load because it might hold out for until the warrenty is up. Even if they have a couple fail before that they look at it that they are still cost them less money then if they put the bigger bearing in there.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down