{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reversing spring eyes at home

4 posters

Go down

reversing spring eyes at home Empty reversing spring eyes at home

Post by cornfield customs December 20th 2010, 7:43 pm

i had a Model t spring but needed to reverse the eyes to drop it down a little bit. so here is how i did it, not really hard just takes a while. it took me a little over and hour

first you have to undo the spring pack, best way to do this is take a c clamp and place the clamp next to the alignment bolt an tighten it down, then remove the nut, bolt and spring clamps. then you can slowly remove the c clamp. this way it doesnt pop apart and and take any by standers out. then take the lower spring with the eyelets and lay it on somewhat smooth and flat part of a concrete floor. take chalk, soap stone, or a marker and trace the shape of the spring onto the floor, its hard to see but look close and you can see the outline
reversing spring eyes at home 001-27
then take the spring and measure off 1 inch increments on the spring. then place the spring in a shop press and start in the center flattening out the spring on your marks. here is a pic of one side started laying next to the out line.
reversing spring eyes at home 002-24
reversing spring eyes at home 003-21
keep working the spring until it is pretty flat
reversing spring eyes at home 004-20
now you can begin to reshape the spring back wards, which will reverse the eyes. take it slow and dont over bend the spring or it will just make more work. go back to the outline on the floor often to see where you need to bend
reversing spring eyes at home 005-17
once you get the spring to the shape of the out line you can reassemble the spring pack, just reverse the process of taking it apart
reversing spring eyes at home 006-18
and there you have it, a little elbow grease and you have a cheap reversed eye spring. this is how it used to be done by many hot rodders and still works great.

cornfield customs
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

reversing spring eyes at home Empty Re: reversing spring eyes at home

Post by RebStew December 20th 2010, 7:45 pm

Very cool Mike. Nice tech.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by oldman December 20th 2010, 10:17 pm

could you do it on the front springs to?say like 46 ford car.
oldman
oldman
Master mechanic

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by cornfield customs December 20th 2010, 10:22 pm

yeah, any leaf spring will work

cornfield customs
wrench fetcher

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 20th 2010, 10:28 pm

A while back I was thinking of this on the back springs for the 49. I'm just to chicken to try it. Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by cornfield customs December 20th 2010, 10:34 pm

it is pretty safe as long as there are not cracks, i have even done one that i had to shorten, where we heated the ends and re rolled them, i was pretty nervous about heating it up, but a few old timers told me it would never break. which i believed due to me working on a car that had a heated and re rolled spring that was wrapped around a phone pole, broke the rim, rear end but the spring eyes still looked great

cornfield customs
wrench fetcher

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 December 21st 2010, 4:15 am

cornfield customs wrote:it is pretty safe as long as there are not cracks, i have even done one that i had to shorten, where we heated the ends and re rolled them, i was pretty nervous about heating it up, but a few old timers told me it would never break. which i believed due to me working on a car that had a heated and re rolled spring that was wrapped around a phone pole, broke the rim, rear end but the spring eyes still looked great

A rosebud and a nice garagemade tool to grip the eye and un-roll and re-roll is how I did mine... I am here to tell you that those spring packs do have some energy to them when they let go.. lets just say I am lucky to have all my teeth, hell my skull.. My welding helmet, and overhead light did'nt fair to well..... But this is a story for a dumbest thing you ever did while working on your car thread...lol It only hurts when I laugh....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 21st 2010, 4:17 am

LRS30 wrote:
cornfield customs wrote:it is pretty safe as long as there are not cracks, i have even done one that i had to shorten, where we heated the ends and re rolled them, i was pretty nervous about heating it up, but a few old timers told me it would never break. which i believed due to me working on a car that had a heated and re rolled spring that was wrapped around a phone pole, broke the rim, rear end but the spring eyes still looked great

A rosebud and a nice garagemade tool to grip the eye and un-roll and re-roll is how I did mine... I am here to tell you that those spring packs do have some energy to them when they let go.. lets just say I am lucky to have all my teeth, hell my skull.. My welding helmet, and overhead light did'nt fair to well..... But this is a story for a dumbest thing you ever did while working on your car thread...lol It only hurts when I laugh....
Sound like a scary second or two Ryan.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 December 21st 2010, 4:25 am

Steve it sounded like a bomb went off in the garage, lisa came running out and looked at me and thought I had lost my mind cause after I realized what happened I started laughing uncontrollable...Yhea it could have been real bad.... luck was on my side..
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down