{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Parts On The Way

+4
JRiggs
Butch Thompson
Roller Coaster
Z-YOU
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Parts On The Way Empty New Parts On The Way

Post by Z-YOU October 27th 2010, 4:29 am

Decided to use the license plate holder on the Z06 front bumper for something worth while. Ordered this from LG Motorsports. Should keep the engine compartment cooler and keep the Intake Air Temps a little lower too.

New Parts On The Way VetteRamAir-1

Ordered a piece from Halltech for the MAF too. Should make getting the MAF frequencies more accurate for better tuning. The Z06 didn't have a laminar air flow straightener from the factory.

New Parts On The Way HC_125-2T
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

New Parts On The Way Empty Re: New Parts On The Way

Post by Z-YOU November 5th 2010, 1:38 pm

Got the Halltech piece for the MAF yesterday & got it installed.

Still waiting on the bumper piece. I'll have to have a warm enough day to paint it.

Last edited by Z-YOU on November 8th 2010, 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster November 5th 2010, 4:14 pm

The bumper intake is a nice looking piece.
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU November 8th 2010, 1:04 am

Roller Coaster wrote:The bumper intake is a nice looking piece.

I just hope it fits nice.

Drove the car last night for the first time since installing the honeycomb on the MAF. I think it's getting cleaner readings on the intake air flow now. When I get a chance I need to hook up my notebook & EFILive & recalibrate it.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 3rd 2011, 1:11 am

Never have gotten the air intake for the bumper. LG Motorsports keeps giving me delivery dates that come and go and no part delivered. Not a big deal because it's too cold to do anything with it anyhow and the other company that makes the part is 3X as expensive.

I did get the notebook hooked up to monitor the MAF and fueling and it is more stable.

Been looking for some full roller rockers for the Z06 and couldn't find a decent deal on a used set. Went ahead & pulled the trigger on a set of Yella Terra 1.7s.

The car has 50K on the clock & with over .6" lift & about 240* overlap so I figure I'd better play it safe & pick up some new valve springs. If I see a good deal on some PAC duals I'm going to get them. Looks like PRC sells a good spring too. One or the other, just kind of trying to buy some insurance. Snapping a spring at 6800 rpms would be catastriphic even though there are duals on it now. What's on there looks like Patriot.

Come on warm weather!
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson February 3rd 2011, 1:19 am

i dont think the ground hog saw his shadow cheers
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 3rd 2011, 1:39 am

You're right Butch!

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 3rd 2011, 5:52 am

what a bunch of clowns.... i dont have sound but that looks like the the stupidest thing ive seen...... lol
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 3rd 2011, 6:02 am

It's all in good fun.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 3rd 2011, 6:40 am

everyone of them look as old as that wise tale... lol

lol!
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 3rd 2011, 7:15 am

All history and people still talk about it a lot these days.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 4th 2011, 10:22 pm

OK. Been looking around and I have a bid on some Comp 921s. That's what LG sells with their kits and I haven't seen anyone posting any 921 spring failures.

I have seen some posts and pics of PRC failures. Funny thing, PRC says they tested the springs through 20 million cycles without a failure, but if you do the math, and you're cruising at 2200 RPMs, the spring cycles 132,000 times in an hour, and so if 2200 RPMs is 60 MPH, the springs were tested for the equivqlent of about 9,100 miles.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 6th 2011, 1:38 am

Got a set of new comp 26921 springs for $188. Gonna need the comp spring locators, retainers, and 7* locks. Pretty sure what's on the car now are Patriot Golds & the locators and retainers don't interchange with comp.

I'm going to have to dig up my spring height mic and my pushrod length checker. Hopefully I put them somewhere that makes sense.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 6th 2011, 1:49 am

Z-YOU wrote:I'm going to have to dig up my spring height mic and my pushrod length checker. Hopefully I put them somewhere that makes sense.
Sound like me. I put stuff up and then can't find it. I go buy another one and then walk in the garage and it's hanging on the wall in plain site.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 7th 2011, 4:33 am

Best price on the Spring Locators (spring seats) and retainer locks was right from Comp so I ordered direct from them. Any order over $50 from Comp right now and shipping is free.

Trying to decide whether or not the titanium retainers are worth an extra $100. Steel is only 2 grams heavier. I know the retainers on the motor now are titanium, I know the Yella Terra rockers are a bit heavier than the oem's, I know the 921's are a bit better than the Patriots, and I know my hollow intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves are lighter than other LS valves. Steel should probably be fine.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 7th 2011, 4:43 am

Trying to decide whether or not the titanium retainers are worth an extra $100. Steel is only 2 grams heavier. I know the retainers on the motor now are titanium, I know the Yella Terra rockers are a bit heavier than the oem's, I know the 921's are a bit better than the Patriots, and I know my hollow intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves are lighter than other LS valves. Steel should probably be fine.

[/quote]

i did not understand a word u just said, titanium this yella terra that sodium filled this. affraid lol!
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 7th 2011, 5:54 am

Ok. I'm adding some things in the valve train that'll add more mass over the valve and I want to make sure the slightly heavier spring retainers won't put me over the edge and cause valve float at 6800 RPM's.

Don't think they will.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 February 7th 2011, 8:17 am

one of the main reasons for titanium retainers is more strength than weight anyway...the 7 degree locks can pull through the retainer with alot of spring preasure....when i put the roller springs on mine i used 10 degree locks and retainers....the seat preasure on the springs i used are 220 pounds closed and 600 opened.....i also used a stud girdle to keep them all tied together and not break a stud....your springs are what somewhere around 130 - 140 closed?....you will be fine with your old retainers but i WOULD put new locks on them just to be safe.... Very Happy
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 7th 2011, 8:58 am

On the money Joe. 135 closed & 400 open. All new parts including locks. The people that make my cam sell their full kits with the comp 26921 springs and that's why I decided to buy those instead of some others. Lunati has a set of springs that are very very close for less than half what the comps cost but I don't want to take any chances. I don't think I can use my old retainers because they're Patriots and aren't the same size as the Comps. I'll check it when we get some moderate weather and I start the install. I just went ahead & ordered the Comp tooled steel retainers. The rockers I'm changing to won't ride on studs. They're similar to the oem's in that they sit on a pedestal and bolt to the head. They also assemble in pairs like mini shaft rockers instead of individually, to give more stability.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 7th 2011, 9:07 am

Is this for the Camaro?
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 February 7th 2011, 9:07 am

cool... be a nice set up....i cant wait for this weather to break.... Very Happy
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 7th 2011, 9:38 am

RebStew wrote:Is this for the Camaro?

No. The valve train upgrade is for the Vette (Z06). The Camaro has all new AFR springs & retainers and Crane Gold Adjustable Roller Rockers. That all went in new when I built the 383 & it only has 1500-2000 miles on it.

What's in the Vette was in it already when I bought it and I don't know how many miles it has been used. I have looked it over and I know it has the oem rockers that are known for spitting bearings and the tips aren't rollers, so they drag across the valve stem and at the lift I have, they can roll up on the edge of the rocker and cause issues. The springs look like Patriot Gold's to me, not comp, but I believe at one time LG installed their cam with Patriot springs.

Since I felt like the springs needed to be replaced, I just figured while I had it apart I'd try to do it right with better rockers. Of course, that also requires new pushrods because the pushrods in it now are 7.4" and I know I'll need at least 7.5" pushrods to get at least .050" lifter preload. Can't order them yet though until I actually measure them. So right now I have everything but the pushrods I need for the job. Well, I'll need some valve cover gaskets too but I can get those at Auto Z pretty cheap.

Last edited by Z-YOU on February 9th 2011, 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 7th 2011, 9:46 am

autozone man everytime i hear that store name i cringe. everytime i go to the one in newport they seem to not know their (BEEP) from a hole in the ground. but then again i am talken about newport
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 7th 2011, 10:04 am

Customer service is a joke in Newport. I walked out on them the last time I was there.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU February 7th 2011, 10:05 am

I have an old aquaintance that works in Erlanger. He use to work at Northern kentucky Motors when we were kids, then went to KY Motors when N KY Motors closed or was bought by KY Motors, and then to A/Z. Plus, the valve cover gaskets are $12 at A/Z and $20 at Advance. Same part, same manufacturer. Go figure.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next