{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonna Be A Busy Week

+5
Rage
jbs10
Nanook
RebStew
Z-YOU
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Empty Re: Gonna Be A Busy Week

Post by Z-YOU September 23rd 2010, 2:44 pm

Thanks Steve. Looks much better than it did.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 23rd 2010, 11:42 pm

Back at it again today. Driver side door molding on the Camaro had lost color on the top so I removed it from the car. I guess the stuff they're made from doesn't like ultraviolet light because where all of the paint was gone the molding had degraded and required some filling to even it up. Color coat is on & I'll put the clear on after while.

Duplicolor doesn't make any aerosol paint cans for Sunset Orange Metallic and I didn't want to mess with my spray gun, so I had KOI mix up a spray can for me. It is expensive. Costs $30 for a 12oz can, but that was better than buying a pint ($74) and spraying it with the gun.

I had forgotten how much I liked the vapor from spraying and I had also forgotten the headache it gives me.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 CamaroDoorMolding002

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 CamaroDoorMolding001
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs September 24th 2010, 1:13 am

whats that hiding in the corner??????????????????????
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 24th 2010, 1:33 am

That's a "63 I've had since I was a teenager. Haven't driven it in 35 years. I've lost interest in it but l can't get rid of it yet. Once I accept that I'll probably never put it together & get it on the road again, it's probably gone. Don't know when that'll be though.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs September 24th 2010, 1:59 am

well u have a hole group of friends here that will now give u grief over it. lol, post more pics of it please....
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson September 24th 2010, 3:30 am

thout u said to me u didnt think that u would fit in in this club in milford because u drove too new of a cars now i know ul have no with out a dout ul fit Cool vette or nice fender n door lol more pictures Cool Razz
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs September 24th 2010, 3:44 am

dont forget the what looks to be stock wheels and check out that emblem i could sell that to one of the newport hood rats (any race) and they could make a necklace or belt buckle out of it.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 24th 2010, 4:28 am

Well, I have it but don't drive it & don't see myself making it roadworthy.

Wheels are repros. I think they were made by Western Wheels. As I recall, the '63 wasn't available with knockoff wheels. Like the rest of the car, they're just sitting there oxidizing. Chromed pieces are rusted. Had the body restored & painted & had the bumpers rechromed about 20 years ago when I had ideas of putting it on the road again.

It was never numbers matching since I bought it. I think I bought it in 1970 w/o any engine or tranny. I put a BorgWarner T-10 in it but I think it actually should have had a Muncie. It has fuelie heads, nothing exotic inside the engine. Think I put a forged crank in it, but really can't remember. Don't remember whether it's bored 30 or 60 but I do remember it came out to 333 cid 4 bolt mains. It has a '69 Z28 intake and I installed a oem electronic ignition system for a '66 in it. Back when I bought it I didn't like the '63 gauge pod & switched it out for a '66. Right now it has '66 seats in it with factory head rests but I did keep the original '63 seats. That's about all I can remember. I do have storage containers full of parts stacked around & I think it sits with 3.55 gears & I think I kept a 4.11 or a 3.73. I know I sold the 5.13s a long time ago. No A/C or power steering or power windows.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis September 24th 2010, 4:43 am

Z-YOU wrote:It was never numbers matching since I bought it... It has fuelie heads, nothing exotic inside the engine... Don't remember whether it's bored 30 or 60... I do have storage containers full of parts stacked around... No A/C or power steering or power windows.

You just described the majority of our cars!
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson September 24th 2010, 4:53 am

I had forgotten how much I liked the vapor from spraying and I had also forgotten the headache it gives me. i stopped at steves tonight he was done painting the engine on the bread n butter man the paint had him cyclops
Butch Thompson
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew September 24th 2010, 7:59 am

Butch Thompson wrote:
I had forgotten how much I liked the vapor from spraying and I had also forgotten the headache it gives me. i stopped at steves tonight he was done painting the engine on the bread n butter man the paint had him cyclops
It is funny Ken said that. Like Butch said I used engine cleaner and then 3 cans of brake cleaner to clean the block and then shot some paint on it. I was 3 sheets in the wind when he pulled up. I had a guy walking his dog and he even said something to me about getting stoned. I had 2 fans and both doors open. I didn't think much about it untill it had me.
Pretty neat how they can fix those spray cans up now a days. 63 is my favorite year Vette. I would hold on to it. You had it this long, why worry about it. Your son may want it down the road. If not maybe a grand kid. You never know. I almost had one years ago but it got away from me. I would show you picture but you would make fun of my long hair. lol
The trim looks like it came out good.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 24th 2010, 2:37 pm

I don't think the '63 is going anywhere soon. I've had people that wanted to buy it from me through the years & had a few pretty good offers but didn't sell. Sometimes I just figure it ought to go to someone who'd finish it up & drive it & enjoy it. Isn't right for it to just sit & decay.

I saw your hair at your 60th Laughing birthday party & I didn't make fun of it then.

Thanks Steve, the molding does look pretty good. Hope it matches ok. Gotta go back to KOI this morning & pick up some 3M acrylic foam tape to mount it back on the car. Then I need to get on the Z06 & track down the Active Handling issue. When that's finished I need to focus a little on projects around the house.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 24th 2010, 3:46 pm

The Camaro door mollding is back on.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 CamaroMoldingFinished001
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel September 25th 2010, 4:41 am

At least you guys didn't order 96 donuts like Scott Hollbrook did. Looks good Ken!
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew September 25th 2010, 11:28 am

Lady rebel wrote:At least you guys didn't order 96 donuts like Scott Hollbrook did. Looks good Ken!
Now that was a good one. I told him to get out of the garage when I was painting. He wouldn't listen. drunken
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 27th 2010, 6:58 pm

Took out the Electronic Brake Control Module for the Corvette yesterday and dropped it off at FedEx to send it off to be bench tested/rebuilt. I want to eliminate it as a problem source and $50 plus $15 shipping is money well spent.

Did an R&R on the Corvette driver side HVAC actuator this morning. Like everything elso on it, there's no darn room to get to any of it. Frankly, I took the old actuator apart & didn't see the usual failure of a broken gear. Never heard of the circuit boards going bad in them, so it'll be interesting to see if the failure code goes away now.

I'm working outside so if the rain doesn't hold off, I guess that's it for me today. If it holds off I may do an R&R on the steering position sensor.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 29th 2010, 10:26 pm

EBCM was delivered to the diagnostic/repair shop in Tennsssee this morning. Figured I'd go ahead & replace the Steering Wheel Position Sensor today.

You have to remove the wheel on the DS & remove an access cover on the back of the wheel well to get to the bolt that disconnects the steering column under the hood.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR001

In this photo you can see the U joint in the steering shaft and just to the right is the nut that has to be removed so the bolt and stay can come out.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR003

Knee bolster removed from under the steering wheel. The console and radio bezel have to be unfastened before the bolster will come out.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR004

There are electronics and controllers stuffed everywhere on this thing. This is the passenger footwell where the fuse is located for the SRS (air bag) system. Removed the fuse to avoid setting the steering wheel air bag off.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR006

Here it is. The Steering Wheel Position Sensor is affixed to the steering column right against the firewall.
Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR005

Steering wheel has to be in the straight ahead position when the new sensor is installed. Before pulling the column I set the wheels straight ahead and then used Gorilla tape to hold the wheel in position while it was out of the car. The air bag assembly has a clock spring in it and if the wheel were to be turned too far in one direction or the other, the clock spring would break and the air bag would not work.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR015

4-13 mm nuts, 4-6 mm screws one 10 mm bolt, wires disconnected, and the column slides out if you rotate it just right.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR007

Column sitting on the ground & there's the sensor. It has a dust cover that slides off & then the sensor has to be pryed loose.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR012

Put the new sensor on and buttoned it all back together, was putting the tools up & then I saw this:

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06SteeringSensorRR016

Forgot to put the dust cover back in front of the sensor. Tore it all back apart & put the dust cover on. The job is finished. Could have left the dust cover off & it probably wouldn't have hurt a thing, but if the job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Now I wait to hear from the company that has the Electronic Brake Control Module. If they say there's nothing wrong with it, I'll be installing the new hub/bearing/speed sensor assembly on the right rear.

Last edited by Z-YOU on September 30th 2010, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew September 30th 2010, 10:10 am

Man that thing has a ton of wiring and do dads..
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU September 30th 2010, 2:32 pm

RebStew wrote:Man that thing has a ton of wiring and do dads..

lol! Working on it is nerve-wracking sometimes. I think taking that stuff apart yesterday gave me the green apple quick-step.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 5th 2010, 5:28 pm

Did ya get everything done on the Vette and Camaro?
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU October 5th 2010, 6:07 pm

Pretty close. Funny how a week turned into a month. bounce

I think I finished everything I started on the Camaro.

Got an email that the diagnistic/repair company shipped the Electronic Brake Control Module and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. If it gets here early I'll pop it in and then maybe it's finished. If the EBCM doesn't fix it, then I'll reevaluate, see if the control system throws any more codes & what they are. I have the hub assembly and speed sensor for the right rear if I need it.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU October 7th 2010, 3:12 am

Came Home from shooting Trap & the Electroinc Brake Control Module was here. Invoice says they had to rebuild it. I can see that they had it apart to get to the circuit board and I can see that they refilled the cavity with new silicone. Know I got my original unit back because I kept a copy of the SN/Part # & wrote my name on it. Maybe I'll get it in tomorrow.

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06EBCM001

Gonna Be A Busy Week - Page 3 Z06EBCM002
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU October 7th 2010, 4:13 pm

EBCM is installed. Just giving the Optima a full charge before cranking it over.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew October 7th 2010, 5:45 pm

Hopefully that does the trick.
RebStew
RebStew