{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate exhaust bolts

3 posters

Go down

I hate exhaust bolts Empty I hate exhaust bolts

Post by junkyardjeff April 27th 2010, 5:10 am

My beater truck had a exhaust leak since I bought it and drove me nuts on the trip to the junkyard saturday so I tried to fix it tonight,the pipe was loose at the manifold so I tried heating the manifold and got the bolt to turn then it snapped so its got a C clamp on it now but might try drilling it out tomorrow if I can come up with a extension to put a drill bit in. I need to get it ready to go to Cleveland to pick up another Y block in a couple weeks and I have to keep it on the road as its my only back up vehicle as my girlfriend is driving the crown vic since her two latemodels are dead,I found new manifolds on ebay for 56 dollars shipped to the house so I might get one if I cant get the bolt out. The other stud does not look too good and would require more heat then I can apply (no serious torch set) so a new manifold would be the easiest and fastest fix,one of the mufflers is shot and had a identical in the shed so I will put it on tomorrow and drive it around some to see if the clamp will hold. It figures its on the pass side and has a/c so it will be a pain to remove so I hope the clamp will hold untill I put the motor in another vehicle and can be repaired easily when its out of the truck,its time to get a set of tanks for my torch set so this does not happen again.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

I hate exhaust bolts Empty Re: I hate exhaust bolts

Post by RebStew April 27th 2010, 5:16 am

I just went through the same stuff putting that 454 in Amy's 58.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 27th 2010, 5:44 am

The more I think about it the manifold will have to be pulled to drill the bolt out since the pipe will be in the way and its at a odd angle so I doubt I can get at it so tomorrow I will get a new manifold off ebay.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by 4x4fab.com April 27th 2010, 1:30 pm

I'm not sure what truck this is.....I've recently completed a job on a expedition where 6 of the 8 head studs were broken off in the head. On 4 of them, there was about 3/16" sticking out and I was able to stick a nut over it and weld the nut onto the broken stud. The heat from the weld also helped to loosen it up, I then put a socket on them and they came right out. On the other 2 I used left hand drill bits on my air drill because it was the smallest drill I had. one of them ended up spinning out with the left hand drill bit, and the other I had to end up tapping larger threads.
Hopefully, you could maybe use one of these methods. If you need another hand, let me know.

4x4fab.com
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 27th 2010, 11:34 pm

This in on my 77 F150 with a 460 and I hope no bolts break off in the head when I pull the manifold,getting the new manifold is alot easier then getting one from the junkyard and still have bad studs. I need to get tanks for my torch set so I can get stuff red hot.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 28th 2010, 2:55 am

Since I was able to put a muffler on it today without spending any money I think I will pull the manifold and put new studs in it,the 56 dollars for the new manifold could be spent on paint supplies for the 66 or on parts for my other projects. I just cant see putting a new manifold on it when after the 66 is finished it might be sitting behind the garage for awhile untill i find something to put the motor in,I think I have new manifold studs somewhere in the garage and it will give me something to do sunday.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down