{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exploding car battery

+3
FalconEddie1964
DEMONSPEED
4x4fab.com
7 posters

Go down

Exploding car battery Empty Exploding car battery

Post by 4x4fab.com November 22nd 2009, 6:45 am

Got a battery in a vw diesel Jetta. I bought the battery back in March. It's been in the car untouched since. The car had sat for a month or two, and so i decided to take it for a spin. I popped the hood to check the oil, then went to start the car. When I turned the key over the battery exploded. It was about 6am when this happened, and it was about as loud as a snub nose .38. Since the hood was still up, the acid went everywhere. I can't even find the top of the battery. It must have landed in a neighbor yard.

Come to find out, this was probably partly my fault. Although the battery was only 7 months old, I had never checked the water level. Apparently the water will evaporate and when it is low enough, a heavy load (like starting an engine) will cause an arc between the plates. This ignites the hydrogen gas that builds up in the battery, and it explodes.

Moral of the story, do NOT neglect to check the water in your batteries! Be weary working around a battery that is under a load. I'm lucky that I have my vison and the skin is still on my face. If I had been in front of the car while someone else was starting it, I may not even be here to tell you about it. I am sure, the acid would have burned my lungs too. The acid fumes were very strong, and I had to hold my breath to try and rinse the acid down with a water hose.
Even though I neutralized the acid with baking soda, it has really done a number on the battery tray and AC lines..

Exploding car battery 001
Exploding car battery 003
Exploding car battery 004

4x4fab.com
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Exploding car battery Empty Re: Exploding car battery

Post by DEMONSPEED November 22nd 2009, 8:13 am

WOW! Im pretty sure that would hurt a lil bit lol I never thought they would do that much damage!
DEMONSPEED
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2009-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 November 22nd 2009, 3:36 pm

Aren't most of the new batteries sealed?
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 November 22nd 2009, 4:11 pm

FalconEddie1964 wrote:Aren't most of the new batteries sealed?
Thats what i thought.....
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 22nd 2009, 5:19 pm

The old ones were bad. I seen a guy one time loose his eye from one blowing up while he was screwing with it.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenn November 22nd 2009, 6:24 pm

thats CRAZY!!!!!! did you call the manufacturer or store that you got it from? you would think that that could not happen any more with todays tech. especially after only 7 months.Its good to see nobody got hurt!
Glenn
Glenn
Scrounger

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 4x4fab.com November 22nd 2009, 7:55 pm

Well I don't speak Chinease, it would be a hassle to call the manufacturer. And if I took it back to Walmart, the highschool drop out wouldn't understand. The biggest problem is that I don't have the top of the battery, It has no markings left on it except for the brand name.

4x4fab.com
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 23rd 2009, 12:51 am

I had one blow up on me 30 years ago,went to start the car and a big boom under the hood and the car died so I started it back up and went home. When I got home I found out the top of the battery was gone and it lasted a couple days,the front sheetmetal was mangled so the acid did not hurt it and was replaced the next spring.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down