{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

37 chevy p/u

+4
chev_hotrod
RebStew
JRiggs
junkyardjeff
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

37 chevy p/u - Page 2 Empty Re: 37 chevy p/u

Post by junkyardjeff December 14th 2007, 3:26 am

The rear springs are in and I am waiting for the adjustable perches and shock mounts,I had to put in new bushings in the frame for the shackles which was a little hard to do but I got them in. Friday after work I am going to disassemble the 8 inch for cleaning and making it easier to handle plus remove the perches so i can weld the new ones on. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 28th 2007, 4:54 am

Tonight I installed the new bellhousing to install the T-5,the original bellhousing has a smaller bolt pattern so the newer trans wont bolt on. Its a pain to remove the bellhousings on the 62 on back chevy sixes as the flywheel and clutch have to be removed first to get to four of the six bolts holding it on,it had to come apart since the rear main is leaking. I will be picking up the mounting kit and shock mounts friday or saturday so next week I will have a new rear main seal in and get the perches welded in,it looks like a trip to Starks will be next as I got a list of all rear end codes for 64 and 65 fairlanes as I need a 3.00 to 3.50 gears and they have a few of those years of fairlanes. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 December 28th 2007, 6:28 am

That sounds like a big project there.... When your done, your gonna be ready to do my 54 right.....I'd love to up-grade the Bel-Air....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 29th 2007, 11:41 pm

Got the mounting kit with the shock mounts last night and I now have the rear end clamped in,I put the axles back in along with the backing plates and drums to see where the tires sit and it looks better. I have to get a short section of pipe to stick over the axles as I have no center section in at this time,I have to get it sitting on the tires to get the location of the upper shock mount and I would like to do it before I put the gears in the rear as there is more room without them. It looks like I will have to mount the trans before I can set the angle of the rear so next week the motor is going to get a new rear main seal and I have to come up with a clutch disc for the 5 speed,I have to do a couple little modifications to the trans but should only take a couple minutes with a cut off wheel. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 5th 2008, 11:34 pm

Rear main seal is in and the oil pan back on,got the correct clutch disc today and might go out and install the clutch after I get off the computer. I still have to clean the trans and do a couple little modifications to it but hope to have it in by the end of the week,ordered the dropped axle and should have it soon. Still have a bunch to do but work is progressing. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 6th 2008, 1:07 am

sounds like it's moving right along, Jeff. I think you will be a lot more happy with the truck with what you are doing.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 9th 2008, 5:28 am

I could not wait for Doug to be able to help lift the T-5 tomorrow in so I installed it myself tonight,it was not that heavy and he wont have to lay on the ground and feel worse. I had to grind some off the trans for the brake pedal assembly to bolt on the bellhousing and remove the back up light switch,it also had a part on the tail shaft that needed to come off so the exhaust would fit. It looks like I will need to modify the battery box since the T-5 is a little wider then the original and I wont be able to bolt on the E brake,it looks like I am will have to narrow the battery box and use a import size battery. Now there is the shifter that I will have to do something with since its back about 5 inches from where it originally and is really close to the seat now,I am going to see what is available but it looks like I will have to make something myself. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 9th 2008, 6:19 am

glad you got the trans in Jeff. if you need a hand just let me know when you will be doing it and I can run up there. I could have helped lift it in there. I hear Doug is pretty sick. may not be a good idea to get him on the cold ground.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous January 9th 2008, 8:47 pm

Yeah, I don't feel good is an understatment! I'm heading back to bed now. I really think I'd have to get better to die. (LOL)

This really sucks, the weather is great and I'm not able to get out and appreciate it.
No
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous January 10th 2008, 2:00 pm

You got that fancy new camera, where's some pictures?
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 25th 2008, 12:54 am

Not much happening now as I have to send off the rear end to get the perches welded,while that is getting done I am going to get the steering arms machined for modern tie rod ends and get the rotors drilled for a Ford bolt pattern. I found some better gears for the rear but will try the 2.79 and see if the six likes it but I would rather have a 3.25,I will get the gears when it warms up some. I have everything done at the trans and while the machine work is getting done I will be building models in the basement. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 16th 2008, 3:56 am

Rear end is painted and installed,parking brake cables are hooked up and works plus I installed new brake lines on the rear end. All I have to do now is weld on the upper shock brackets and have a drive shaft made,I am not certain if I will get a drive shaft from the junkyard or get a new yoke at the drive shaft shop and have them make the rest. The junkyards around here are getting lazy and not removing the drive shaft before hauling the cars in the yard bending everyone so I most likely will get the ney yoke and have a new one made,by the end of next week its time to turn it around and rip apart the front suspension. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff February 24th 2008, 6:39 am

The rear end is done and I have the drive shaft and shocks installed,I had to shim out the shock studs to keep the shock from rubbing the frame and need to get someone to go over my welds on the top shock mounts. I got a smaller battery today and fired up the motor and the clutch works and the T-5 sounds good without any major noises,now the motor is another story as I had oil coming from both ends of the pan. I must of done something wrong installing the rubber seals on the ends so the pan has to come back off,I have the front axle off now so pulling the pan will be a little easier. After I get back from the swapmeet in Richmond Indiana tomorrow I will pull the steering box and front springs and after I find a clean pan to drain the new oil in the oil pan might come back off,I need to get some king pins for the dropped axle and rebuild the front springs and then the front end can be put back togather. This working in the garage untill midnight is not as easy as it used to be so I am off to bed. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff March 7th 2008, 3:42 am

I have cleaned up the new steering box and just have to get a pitman shaft seal,I took apart the front springs and removed some leaves and cleaned them up so all i have to do is order the teflon and other parts I need then time to start putting the front suspension back togather. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff March 15th 2008, 3:17 pm

There was a box with parts on the porch when I got home from work so I went into the garage with a six pack and did a little work,I did not do too much but got the spindles on the dropped axle and with another six pack tonight will get the teflon in the springs and back togather and get the axle and springs painted if nothing else comes up. Still deciding wheather to send the steering box out to be rebuilt or just put in a seal and install,waiting on a price quote before I do anything with it. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff March 16th 2008, 5:57 am

I was back in the garage tonight and I finished up the front axle and put the teflon in the front springs,the springs and axle got painted and might go in sunday if I dont take a break. I have worked on it all week and do need a break but I want it done so I will decide after I get up if I will be in the garage. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid March 16th 2008, 4:14 pm

Cool to hear about your progress can't wait to see it done
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff March 16th 2008, 6:11 pm

I went back in the garage today and got the springs and axle in and when I get it done I am going to take a break before starting on the 66 F250,I still need to get the motor and trans out of Dougs lincoln before I start on the 66 but I think I will just supervise that operation with a cold one in my hand and just fetch tools. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff March 20th 2008, 2:57 am

I got the disc brakes on and I think whoever installed them on the axle I traded for had them on wrong as they had two hoses hooked togather to hook up the calipers,that kit looks to have a inner bearing adapter that slides over the spindle and the inner bearing would not go all the way back so with some emery cloth and fine sand paper that problem has been solved. Next time I will buy a new kit if I adapt discs to anything else,that kit was supossively only on the truck for a short time and I can see why now,with the bearings not seated all the way in I bet it did not handle too good. As soon as it quits raining I will paint the calipers and install the new bearings and seals in the rotor and bleed the brakes,it looks like I will have to get some 1/4 inch steel plate and extend the upper shock bracket a bit as the shocks will be too long if I dont so there will be a trip to the scrap yard this week and I have to put a new seal in the steering box and get it ready to install. I hope to have it back togather soon . Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 20th 2008, 3:24 am

we need to get some pictures of the work you are doing. I had my camera last time I was there but I didn't think about snapping any of the truck.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 March 20th 2008, 7:39 pm

RebStew wrote:we need to get some pictures of the work you are doing. I had my camera last time I was there but I didn't think about snapping any of the truck.

Man, He's got a fairly new camera that's really cool. I've been wanting to see the quality of the pics. It's got a huge viewfinder and about 8 megipixel. Been wanting to see the results to see if it'd be a good camera for my co-pilot. The thing's not much bigger that a pack of cigs if I remember right. Jeff...............?? confused
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff March 30th 2008, 5:51 pm

Its about done now as it has brakes and the steering is hooked up,I still have to paint the floor board and make some new holes in the carpet for the relocated shifter and E brake. I found a company that sells new artillery wheels and will order a set monday and then its off to be aligned and I think I will still need to lower it in the rear some but will need a custom set of lowering blocks since I used a set of perches that move the rear end back a little. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 14th 2008, 5:05 am

Its basicly done now just waiting on the reproduction artillery wheels,they should be here in a couple weeks. I might have to tinker with the rear springs some as I dont think they will lower the truck enough. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff May 3rd 2008, 2:25 am

Its on the ground but still needs to go down about 3 inches in the rear,since the rear end is set back a little farther over the pins in the spring I will need custom made lowering blocks. I will get the measurements for the blocks up to the machine shop early next week and it might be on the road soon,I stll need to egt the front aligned and play with the rear gears but that project is almost done. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2