{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck

+14
xycho_wraith
santa6957
Lady rebel
FalconEddie1964
JRiggs
1/2done
junkyardjeff
John B
big dogs 42
Mr. Fabulous
LRS30
herb73
6-71Kid
RebStew
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Empty Re: 1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck

Post by herb73 January 8th 2008, 2:45 pm

looks great. you sure do good work

herb73
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 10th 2008, 8:05 am

I worked on my floors a little last night and today. I can't stand to hear a floor pop when I get in something. so the 36 had to have bead rolls ran in the floor. my cheap bead roller was junk but with a half a day waisted firming it up and making a stand for it, it works better than I ever thought it would. still need to take it apart and paint it though.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1095
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1092
I still have a little bit to do but it's getting there.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1094
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1097
later the floor will get covered by sound and heat padding and then carpet
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 January 10th 2008, 1:46 pm

looks great Steve...Look's like you just made yourself the floor guy for the gasser.....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 20th 2008, 8:49 am

I took the doors, dash and windshield back out of the truck. one of the nastiest things I've done so far was puting on a good mask and face shield, get in the cab and take a good twisted wire wheel on a grinder to all the rust. My garage looked like a big red smoke bomb.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1106
I took off as much rust as I could get off I then started cleaning everything up. It was a mess.
time for the rust converter. It was sprayed on and left to dry for 24 hours.
then time for the primer. Ihe truck was taped up. my youngest son came out to help me with it. this is not a staged picture. that is my 6 year old helping tape up the truck. Like I said before he has laid claim to this one and wants to help every time I work on it. When I welded the floor in he had to come and inspect my work every night before he went to sleep. it wasn't a passing glance either. I would think to myself while watching him grin? What does he keep looking at in there. it's not that big of a floor. I guess he was just taking it all in.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1115
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1111
Taping this thing up was fun. the cowl vent and the front and back windows had to be cut out so they would get a healthy coat of primer too. my red primer had went bad so I had to use my black. Not a very good picture but the inside of the cab as well as the windows, jams, and cowl vent has been primed.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1117
It was so cold today I left the fans off and the doors shut. I also turn off the heater because there was so much mist and fumes in the garage I thought I may have a flash fire. I kicked the heater back on and even stuck an electric heater in the cab after I clean my primer gun.

Last edited by RebStew on November 19th 2008, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 20th 2008, 9:07 am

I also wanted to note how proud I am in the advancement of tape! I know that may sound funny to some but when I first started painting cars, 20 years ago there would have been no way tape would stick to flaking rust. Sometime you couldn't get it to stick to a piece of chrome. The stuff 3M is making now works great and comes off easy without glue being left behind. This truck is rusty and dirty and I never had any lifting at all!

Last edited by RebStew on November 19th 2008, 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 26th 2008, 10:14 pm

With the weather dipping close to zero at night for a week I could not make it into the garage. Even with the heater it was too cold to shoot paint. Today it wasn't bad so I loaded the gun and went at it. The outside of the truck will stay rusty for now. But the inside I want very clean and nice. Also the paint will help prevent rust if for some reason I take on water in a rain storm.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1122
Any red paint that shows on the outside of the body will be taken off so the outside looks untouched. I painted around the windows so the rubber seals would have a good tight grip and to prevent rust in case I get trapped water. Like earlier any paint that shows from the outside will be taken off.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1124
It is almost a shame to cover up all the paint but other than the door jams and dash everything will be covered by carpet or upholstery.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1130
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous January 27th 2008, 4:31 am

Gee, I have a good suggestion. Why don't you paint the iterior red. Oh well, I really like the way it looks in yellow! LOL Razz
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 27th 2008, 5:13 am

Mr. Fabulous wrote:Gee, I have a good suggestion. Why don't you paint the iterior red. Oh well, I really like the way it looks in yellow! LOL Razz
I found up under the cowl where it was factory yellow. Then someone painted it green then black. I guess the red just adds to the color chart.
I went back out tonight and put the back window in. I guess this is the first time in a long time it's had rear glass. I would not want to put another one in. It was a pain. The new rubber seal had to be drilled to get the bolts to go through it from the inside of the cab and through to the outside chrome. I had to reach inside without touching the tacky paint and mark the holes to be drilled. Take everything back out and apart, drill the 14 holes in the rubber seal. Stick the seal on the glass and stick it back in the hole without the tape holding it together. Anyone ever try to be on the inside of the cab turning the bolts and be on the outside holding your window from falling out. it's loads of fun!!! Very Happy
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1132

Last edited by RebStew on November 19th 2008, 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Empty 36 chebby pick it up truck

Post by big dogs 42 January 27th 2008, 5:35 am

The red looks good you might want to think about doing the outside too it might look good with that Chevy orange under the hood.:: Notice no wise cracks cause its a Chebby with a Chebby thats the way is should be. Very Happy truce ok!!
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 27th 2008, 5:38 am

big dogs 42 wrote:Notice no wise cracks cause its a Chebby with a Chebby thats the way is should be. Very Happy truce ok!!
I'm not name brand loyal to none. lol. if I had a cool Poncho with a tri pwer on it I'd shove it in there in a ??heartbeat.lol Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 30th 2008, 6:29 am

A few days ago I used seam sealer around every welded panel. I came close to fully welding all the pieces in but I figured if it was good enough for GM all these years it will work for this. I let it dry for a day and then went over the seam sealer with Shurtape's hold tight. This is the same stuff you use for duct work. The reason for using it is that I wasn't sure of the bonding agent on the insulation I'm using. I wasn't sure it would stick well to the seam sealer. I know this Shurtape will stick to anything and it won't come off. The aluminum surface of the tape will also give the insulation a nice smooth surface to stick to.

1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1138
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1141
Today I started putting my fake Dynamat down. This is the stuff that they have been talking about on HAMB and a few other forums. I paid less than $15.00 for a 6in. X 24ft. roll. The stuff is called Peel & Seal. It it very, very close to Dynamat other than the price. It has a 40 mil rubberized aspalt sticky back, two layers of high stregth polymer film over a reflective aluminum surface.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1143
like I said above. I was worried a little about how good it would stick. I pre cut what I needed then I used a heat gun on the backing. Let me tell you!! When you stick it on you can't get it off. Even if it just bearley touches it. Make sure you have it all lined up before you touch anything with the backing. After I got it down I used an unopen pop can to smooth it out. As you can see from the bead rolls in the floor it takes the shape of where up put it. Cool thing is this stuff is used for flashing and as a roof patch. Any small holes you may have this will seal them and not let the water in. They do sell a better version of the Dynamat they already had. It is the sound and heat Dynamat. It is almost twice as thick as the original. No problem. For the price difference I will put a second layer over this one. Even with the floor half done I can tell a difference in how it sounded when I close the truck door.

Last edited by on February 1st 2008, 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 January 30th 2008, 1:36 pm

Look's good, do you have a link to the company selling the insulation?I have been kicking around the idea of finishing the interior of the 54, just need to find a good company to do it and narrow it down to a color...
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by John B January 30th 2008, 3:32 pm

LRS30 wrote:Look's good, do you have a link to the company selling the insulation?I have been kicking around the idea of finishing the interior of the 54, just need to find a good company to do it and narrow it down to a color...

Lowes
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous January 30th 2008, 3:46 pm

What's it take, two rolls for your truck cab? Was wondering how much I'd need to at least do the front of the old Merc. Last summer it got so warm in there our tennis shoes would about stick to the floor, not to mention the deafening roar of the exhaust. It'd be nice to raise the comfort level just a little. I sure can't afford the fancy stuff.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 30th 2008, 7:00 pm

LRS30 wrote:Look's good, do you have a link to the company selling the insulation?I have been kicking around the idea of finishing the interior of the 54, just need to find a good company to do it and narrow it down to a color...
Lowes in the roofing area. I walked by the stuff and never seen it. I ask a counter guy and he lead me to it. gray and blue stripes over white. Says in small letters PEEL & SEAL. give it a try. it's a lot cheaper than the brand name.
It even has the enegy star on the label. It say "meets the ENERGY STAR guidelines for energy efficiency"
someone said they sold it at Home Depot too but I couldn't find it at the one near my house.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 30th 2008, 7:14 pm

Mr. Fabulous wrote:What's it take, two rolls for your truck cab? Was wondering how much I'd need to at least do the front of the old Merc. Last summer it got so warm in there our tennis shoes would about stick to the floor, not to mention the deafening roar of the exhaust. It'd be nice to raise the comfort level just a little. I sure can't afford the fancy stuff.
the pic you see is one roll and I had a strip about 14" long left over. I stuck it on the firewall. I'm going to buy 2 more rolls that should be enough to double it up and have a little left over for the firewall
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by John B January 30th 2008, 7:16 pm

RebStew wrote:
Mr. Fabulous wrote:What's it take, two rolls for your truck cab? Was wondering how much I'd need to at least do the front of the old Merc. Last summer it got so warm in there our tennis shoes would about stick to the floor, not to mention the deafening roar of the exhaust. It'd be nice to raise the comfort level just a little. I sure can't afford the fancy stuff.
the pic you see is one roll and I had a strip about 14" long left over. I stuck it on the firewall. I'm going to buy 2 more rolls that should be enough to double it up and have a little left over for the firewall

It works good on a trailer roof to.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 31st 2008, 2:24 am

I found someone up here with a windshield crank assembly they wont be using. Jeff

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew January 31st 2008, 2:53 am

junkyardjeff wrote:I found someone up here with a windshield crank assembly they wont be using. Jeff
YOU ARE KIDDING??? I have want adds on every forum on the net. lol.. I just tried to call you about something on my truck but the phone is busy, guess you are on here.lol
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 6th 2008, 9:17 am

last 2 days I've put a new cowl vent seal in. I put the vent all together and it's in and work great. I did a little cleaning on the windshield frame that I got from Jeff. filled a few holes in it, ripped out the old broke up seal and replace it with a new rubber seal. Then put the windshield back in the truck. It is hooked up to the hinges. I'm still looking for the piece on the bottom that holds it tight to the body. I worked on the driver side door a bit. I was going to clean it all up and paint it on the inside but I'm going to put a new door skin on it later this summer so I figured there was no reason to waist my time painting it. I did spray on some spray bomb paint just to keep the rust away where I ground the surface rust off. I put new window felt in for the window to slide in and hooked up all the stuff to make the window go up and down. I also made a template for the door glass. I will be dropping it off in a few day to have the door glass cut.
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1191
1936 Chevy pick 'em up truck - Page 2 Picture1192
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 20th 2008, 6:20 am

I've been working on my steering. got to love Speedway Motors. I have it all mocked up and will get it in this week sometime.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by 1/2done February 20th 2008, 3:40 pm

Man, that floor turned out nice. I like the knock-off Dynamat too.
1/2done
1/2done
Mechanic

Number of posts : 282

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 20th 2008, 4:50 pm

welcome back bill. Very Happy
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 February 20th 2008, 5:07 pm

Yeah, long time no hear.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by 1/2done February 21st 2008, 2:05 am

FalconEddie1964 wrote:Yeah, long time no hear.

I was getting a message that said I was banned till 17/12/2008 when I would try to log in. 🐱
Don't know what happened, but now I can log in.
1/2done
1/2done
Mechanic

Number of posts : 282

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next